Managing recoil on a bench rest and shouldering a rifle

Opia

FNG
Im not completely new to rifles but I bought my first bigger caliber rifle (.270win) about 10 months ago and have been going to the range on and off to practice marksmanship and learn to manage recoil. Other than a little muzzle jump I'm still learning to control, the recoil hasn't been a problem or painful until recently. I've been shooting at the range with a front rest and without a rear bag to rest the butt of my stock on and the recoil hasn't hurt at all. This weekend I used a rear bag to try and steady my shots a little better passed 200 yards and every shot I took felt like a mule kicked me in the peck/shoulder. The way I was setting up into the rifle didn't feel much different than without a rear bag, but I was never able to find the shoulder pocket to keep the recoil under control. I shoot right handed and was sitting at a bench and it kind of felt like i had to lean to my right to get behind the rifle, but could never get square behind it. Curious if this has happened to any of you or if anyone has some tips on how to properly set up on a bench with a rear bag? Things like the seat height, how high you have your rifle off the bench, etc. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
recoil pad on rifle (they make some that just slip on)
wearing heavier clothes
I've been known to fold up a towel and put it on my shoulder during long sessions

Getting the rifle in tight is a good idea. Solid cheek weld is important too but sometimes not possible if your scope has medium or high rings.

Shoulder pocket is about where your chin hits if you turn your head into your shoulder. Just turn your head to the right, then tilt your head down - that's your shoulder pocket.

270 isn't a real heavy hitter, you'll likely get used to it. If you find the 270 is still too much after a while, then you're gonna have to step down. 6.5 CM is a light hitter, 7mm 08 is another.

I started flinching with a 3006 as a kid - my dad said I'd use 3006 or wouldn't go. After 40 years fo fighting with it, finally stopped using it and shoot 357 mag rifle, 243, and 350 Legend instead.

You're gonna get comments about muzzlebrakes. They disperse the gasses and noise to the sides. I personally think that they should be banned at public ranges and will leave the range as soon as the first guy starts using em - very, very loud to folks around you. Will tame a rifle's recoil tho.

Fatcamp

WKR
Wear a coat and use a recoil reducer you wear over your shoulder. That's what we do to practice with my wife's .300WM.

mac53

FNG
With my 30 06 Kimber Montana, I have found the best way for me to handle it is to rest the front of the rifle in a bag pull it tight to the shoulder with my right hand and hold down on the scope with my left hand.

I have never tried a bag in the back .

One other thing to try is have somebody else load the rifle, have them load a round then have them leave it unloaded don't let them tell you.

Maybe you are flinching at the shot and pulling away from the shot without realizing it. An empty chamber will show you that fast.

wyosteve

WKR
I use bags at the rear of the stock and also a bag between my shoulder and the butt of the gun. I find on a bench my shoulder is in an awkward position so the recoil hits the top of the shoulder move then the front of the shoulder. Been doing it this way for years without a 'form' problem. I'm regularly shooting .338WM, .375 H&H and .45-70 with this method and no issues.

This has become an issue as longer eye relief scopes become the norm. And Sporting style stocks have become the rage.

Managing recoil has become tough on a bench because the rifle is rarely seated right in the pocket off of sand bags due to your head being higher. Also Due to bigger objective lenses and a longer eye relief.

Rifle fit 20 years ago was easy. Everything was a minimum of 13.5” of pull. With most being 14”!or 14.5” for a stock gun. With scopes of the day having minimal eye relief. What that equals is a gun that is so tight in the pocket, recoil was unnoticed.

Enter in today’s scopes, with shorter pulls on the stock and, you get a gun when shot off a rear bag, that is just setting there. Minimally engaged by the shooter. It is a mule kicking you as you aren’t buried into the thing just to get a full scope picture. Add in your check weld being totally different from likely having no cheek swell and you’ve got a thumper. Regardless of caliber.

Not all is bad. Scopes have come a long way. Manufactures have realized that it takes a long armed gorilla to shoot bolt guns of old. The only thing they are failing at is the cheek swell. And building scopes with 3 inches of eye relief at full power.

There is a reason long range gun have cheek rise built in or, contraptions made to strap on modern stocks. So your head isn’t just sticking up there. Your cheek needs to be firmly bedded to control the gun. Your scope needs to mounted far enough forward to engage the gun physically. And, the length of pull needs to be correct.

Start with your length of pull. Get that found and get the stock cut and fitted to that length. So, that your cheek is fully engaged to the stock. Buy the appropriate mounts to match that fit, then buy your scope.

That’s the order to do it in. If you build it like that, you’ll do fine.

The shooting world has come along ways. But, only recently has proper fit become so paramount. Long range shooting requires you fit the gun perfectly. No one makes that gun on the shelf. You’ve either got to build it or have someone build it,

I realize you aren’t talking long range. But, it’s easy to miss at close range if these dynamics are not addressed on the rifle you hunt with. So, build them all the same. So when it comes to your shoulder, you have perfect field of view, the rifle isn’t leaning, and you are engaged into it enough to control the recoil.

That’s a hillbilly way of putting things but, I fought this for quite a while before meeting a long range shooter and becoming hunting buds with him. It’s helped me tremendously getting the right setup for my internet dee uses for my rifles.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rifles never fit me the same on a bench as shooting free hand. I could shoot magnums all day free hand, but on a bench they'll pound me. So when getting a rifle set up and sighted in, I have a small sand bag I use between my shoulder and the stock. That cushions the blow enough to keep from bruising.

tntrker

WKR
A Muzzle brake will tame it down and cheaper than buying a whole new rifle. They do create more noise while shooting but decent hearing protection and that's not an issue as well. I can shoot more than a box of 300wm with a break and not tell or feel it after where after a box of 30-06 without a break and I'll feel and see it after...

Marble

WKR
Rifles never fit me the same on a bench as shooting free hand. I could shoot magnums all day free hand, but on a bench they'll pound me. So when getting a rifle set up and sighted in, I have a small sand bag I use between my shoulder and the stock. That cushions the blow enough to keep from bruising.
This,

Plus just make sure you are sitting in a comfortable position. If you are not comfortable, nothing else will matter. Get your seat, table and rest all oriented at the height and positions that are comfortable for you.

One of the cheapest mods I made for a few of my guns for daughters was a really good butt pad.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
Opia

Opia

FNG
I use bags at the rear of the stock and also a bag between my shoulder and the butt of the gun. I find on a bench my shoulder is in an awkward position so the recoil hits the top of the shoulder move then the front of the shoulder. Been doing it this way for years without a 'form' problem. I'm regularly shooting .338WM, .375 H&H and .45-70 with this method and no issues.
That sounds very similar to what I had going on. When I would set up to take a shot I did feel like my right arm was sitting funny and it caused a bit of torche in my elbow and wrist. The recoil also seemed to concentrate high on my shoulder next to the socket which typically hasn't been a problem when I set up without a rear bag. I will definitely try out these tips because that painful recoil was noticeably effecting how tight my groups were and more than likely building bad habits.

Last edited:
OP
Opia

Opia

FNG
recoil pad on rifle (they make some that just slip on)
wearing heavier clothes
I've been known to fold up a towel and put it on my shoulder during long sessions

Getting the rifle in tight is a good idea. Solid cheek weld is important too but sometimes not possible if your scope has medium or high rings.

Shoulder pocket is about where your chin hits if you turn your head into your shoulder. Just turn your head to the right, then tilt your head down - that's your shoulder pocket.

270 isn't a real heavy hitter, you'll likely get used to it. If you find the 270 is still too much after a while, then you're gonna have to step down. 6.5 CM is a light hitter, 7mm 08 is another.

I started flinching with a 3006 as a kid - my dad said I'd use 3006 or wouldn't go. After 40 years fo fighting with it, finally stopped using it and shoot 357 mag rifle, 243, and 350 Legend instead.

You're gonna get comments about muzzlebrakes. They disperse the gasses and noise to the sides. I personally think that they should be banned at public ranges and will leave the range as soon as the first guy starts using em - very, very loud to folks around you. Will tame a rifle's recoil tho.
Thank you for the advice ill put it to practice next time I'm at the range. Did also want to mention that I added a stock pack to my rifle a few months back to help build my cheek weld. It has helped immensely and seems to be at the correct height for a majority of the times I've been shooting. I can usually lay my cheek into the rifle with my eyes closed, then open them and the sight picture is completely clear. However when I'm on the bench I did notice I was having a tough time getting a full view through my scope and would have to adjust my head a little to remove shadows. I know that isn't ideal but the benches I've been shooting off of don't have much adjustability for seat height and I feel like that's been an issue with getting consistently set into the rifle as well.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
Totally understand if you're limited to shooting of a bench setup, but I find a bench setup really awkward. I can't find the pocket of my shoulder there either and find recoil more uncomfortable. If you have the option to get prone and straight behind the gun (which I found really awkward at first), I think you'll find recoil control to be much better, assuming your stock allows the recoil pad to sit high enough and engage your shoulder.

Antares

WKR

When did you first realize that you hate America?

jk

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
Look into Sims Vibration Labs Limbsaver recoil pads. They make many sizes to fit most rifles and also have one that you can grind to fit. I have a relative that shoots a Ruger 7mm that kicked like a mule, he put a Sims pad and was very happy with the results.
Try it I don't think you will be disappointed.
wmd

PRC_GUY

WKR
Muzzle break will help for sure, I was in the same boat with you 2 years ago, now I didn’t now care about recoils anymore. I just focus shooting and and not flinch. I basically leaning my shoulder forward and pull the stick back and shoot.