Managing stress/anxiety around a LE Elk tag

Firehawk

WKR
I'll be in S21 helping a guy. Good luck. Just enjoy it. I've had an AZ sheep tag. The stress I felt was because of all guys helping me on their free time and I didn't want to disappoint them. Just have fun and remember its your hunt!!
This is truly what I am feeling the most anxiety about. First real trophy tag most of us have drawn. Although one of my buddy's was lucky and drew this same tag a few years ago with only a few points. He killed a nice bull and has been instrumental in helping me prepare for this hunt. So much so, he now has a new pair of high quality boots to say thank you. The least I could do for all the boot leather he has used up searching this amazing and unique unit.

Firehawk

WKR
My buddy has a limited elk tag this year and he is sending me photos of bulls to score, essentially to see if they are big enough to shoot.

We put stress on ourselves.

Literally every day right now as my buddy is helping guide an archery hunter with the same unit. It has been fun, but the anticipation is building so high. I love it....and it is paralyzing at the same time.

I’d say just go out and have fun as if it were an OTC elk unit. Enjoy the experience and if you kill a world record it’s just a bonus

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think you should have elevated stress and anxiety over this. It should be excitement and relief. You get to hunt with very, very limited hunting pressure compared to a normal OTC unit. That alone should negate any self induced pressure for shooting a big bull. You get to slow down and enjoy hunting the animal and not have a significant people factor.

Also, don't stress about your buddies burning vacation time to help you. Yes, time is the most valuable thing on earth, but it's pretty damn fun to be out "hunting" without a tag...and they know that.

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
I understand what you’re saying. I drew a tag on random that should have taken me 12 or more years to draw. Ecstatic about the tag, so don’t get me wrong.

I’ve never elk hunted before, premium tag for my first one. Thankful that I’ve met a local contact and my hunting buddy is taking time off to tag along.

I was having issues with the bow, and finally got it dialed in with the pro shop. Now the string started fraying and have to get a new string.

Is all of my e-scouting accurate? Will the elk be there?

call vs not call

Everybody says don’t shoot one less than 320 here. What’s a 320 elk look like? (I’m not super concerned about score and will not pass any elk towards the end of the hunt vs eating a tag if possible)

At the end of the day, I’m sure once the hunt begins this will all go out the window and I’ll just be hunting with my friend like always.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
We will be in Montana on the September 5th and have been getting ready for this hunt all year. But with a week away from leaving I always feel like I should be in better shape. I always work hard to get ready for hunts but when your 60 years old hauling a 60 pound pack is not easy. I'll make sure I have lots of Ibuprofen and rest when I should.

Fullfan

WKR
There should be no stress, no anxiety. It is hunting. You should be excited for the opportunity...

Whip

WKR
I'll be carrying a Wyoming tag that took 10 points to draw. Very likely the last LE WY tag I will ever have. My hope is simply for a great hunt, lots of encounters, and if I get lucky hope to put that tag on a bull. But no pressure at all to fill it. I learned a long time ago to enjoy every minute and savor every encounter. Filling the tag is secondary.

Vids

WKR
Tell me about it. I'm two weeks away from my bighorn ram hunt, once in a lifetime. It's been a crazy summer - I wasn't in great shape after Covid, got laid off and started a new job, very busy life as a single dad, all the while stressing about how I didn't have enough time to prepare or get in shape for this hunt.

I decided a month ago to stop worrying about it and focus on the adventure. If I don't kill one I'll live, but I'll leave it all on the mountain trying. A lot of people will never draw a sheep tag so I need to be grateful for the opportunity.
Circling back around on this.

Long story short: I "missed" him on day 4, then we figured out on day 5 he was actually hit and we went back in on day 6 and got him. Backing up - On the morning of day 4 we were glassing, around 9:00 my guide told me he wanted me to go back to camp and rest. I told him he was nuts, this is a sheep hunt and there are no naps. It was because I wanted to keep going that we got this opportunity. We hiked in and got the first shot opportunity that resulted in the kill.

Man, sheep hunts are a destroyer. Up and down avalanche chutes. Get busted, hike back down and then up another chute. Hiking 3 miles just to get to the avalanche chute. Highs and lows, physical exhaustion. What a learning experience. The biggest takeaway - F it, just keep going!!!

My best wishes to the OP on a successful hunt!!

Ram 1.jpg

OP
B

brimow

Lil-Rokslider

Long story short: I "missed" him on day 4, then we figured out on day 5 he was actually hit and we went back in on day 6 and got him. Backing up - On the morning of day 4 we were glassing, around 9:00 my guide told me he wanted me to go back to camp and rest. I told him he was nuts, this is a sheep hunt and there are no naps. It was because I wanted to keep going that we got this opportunity. We hiked in and got the first shot opportunity that resulted in the kill.

Man, sheep hunts are a destroyer. Up and down avalanche chutes. Get busted, hike back down and then up another chute. Hiking 3 miles just to get to the avalanche chute. Highs and lows, physical exhaustion. What a learning experience. The biggest takeaway - F it, just keep going!!!

View attachment 326816
Awesome! Way to keep after it.

Firehawk

WKR

View attachment 326816
Congrats!!

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Im leaving in a few days for a 9nce in a lifetime idaho bull moose tag. Only moose tag im sure ill draw in lower 48. Feel yah

Moneyball

WKR
I have always felt like no matter what it was, sports, work, or hunting; if I put in the work and do my best to prepare, I am anxious beforehand but calm by the time the hunt is underway. There is comfort in knowing that win or lose I did everything in my power to put myself in a position to be successful. If it doesn't work out, that's just hunting sometimes.

We may not all have the tag you do, but we have all been in a situation where we were anxious for some life event and know how you are feeling. Good luck and enjoy it!!!!