Managing tendinitis?

LeroyG22

FNG
I tend to shoot the bow frequently as the hunting season gets near (April-August). It seems like the elbow will flare up and I have to back off the sessions around July. Anyone else have this issue? Are there any opinions on managing tendinitis for someone who really enjoys shooting? Thanks

Brianb3

WKR
Keto diet. Alopurinol for gout (excess uric acid)

Most all of my inflammation is gone. Wish I had known ten years ago

I was getting frequent tendinitis in my joist. Has not bothered me in a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I had it for years and years and years. Couldn't even tip my coffee cup without extreme pain.

Finally took 3 months off of about everything (lifting weights, bow, all that stuff). Ice, massage, and even wore a sling the first few weeks. Slowly slowly slowly (used Jane Fonda weights literally for a while) went back to everything. Paid attention to any sign of pain and didn't push through, just went back to rest.

Almost zero problems since 2013.

At the club I manage, this is the most common injury I see, and the most I see people rest is just a few weeks. and or mask it with ibuprofen or naproxin. Seems to be enough to fool people into thinking it's healed but as soon as they return to normal activity without a drug, it's back. That's why I eventually took the 3 months off as I was trying that routine for a decade.

Soft tissue is so slow to heal.

I've heard of a few guys (and one gal) go past the point of no return with it and end up with surgery, but they have problems too post surgery, it's no picnic. Listen to you body.

And once you're healed, if you're doing bicep curls, I'd recommending dropping them way down in weight or even completely from your routine. You won't look as good at the beach, but you'll be flinging arrows no problems.

Good luck man!

wapitibob

WKR
I tend to shoot the bow frequently as the hunting season gets near (April-August). It seems like the elbow will flare up and I have to back off the sessions around July. Anyone else have this issue? Are there any opinions on managing tendinitis for someone who really enjoys shooting? Thanks

Doc told me to quit shooting for 6 months. I told him to get out the syringe. I shoot almost every day and laying off wasn’t an option. Only you can decide how to manage it.

Trr15

WKR
Try grip training. I do a lot of weight training and started having severe elbow pain 3-4 yrs ago. I would never allow myself time off to fully recover, but I tried everything else to mitigate it and nothing worked. A few months ago I picked up a set of Captains of Crush grip trainers and they totally eliminated the problem. I’m truly amazed at how much of a difference grip training made and how quickly it happened.

OP
LeroyG22

LeroyG22

FNG
Thanks for the responses. Yeah there is no way I’m not shooting. I’ll have to combo some of these ideas.

Something I saw mentioned on another forum was someone that had gone to a high demand grip and mentioned his elbow pains went away.

I got to thinking about when my pain started and I want to say it was right around the time I went from an older Mathews to a new one, so quite a bit different grip.
Hoping that grip helps me out some but I am also trying to shoot less right now.
Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

I had tendonitis in my ankles from playing soccer 6-7 days a week. Stopping play was not an option. I found that when I took care of myself....ice/heat/exercises, etc. in between sessions, it made a difference, but it never went 100% away until I decreases my activity level.

Unfortunately not everything can be fixed, but just has to be managed.

Beendare

WKR
I had the surgery a year ago.

If you are going to push through it, one of those forearm straps helps.

I think Robby is dead on with his advice. I had it off and on for 3 yrs....Elbows have almost no circulation so once its chronic it takes forever to heal. Ice/hot/ice/ hot helps increase circulation though my doc told me only ice.

I now do light wrist curls to keep them tuned up.

Years ago I had elbow pain...forget if it was golfers or tennis elbow, but not caused by either. Resistance training where I'd bend my wrist to lower the hand down to 90* to the arm (on the arm with the bad elbow pain) then restrain it with the other hand for 30 seconds to a minute while I tried to straighten the wrist helped it a lot. I do these several times per day, often in meetings. The band did not help me although many seem to get relief from it. Painful...good luck on getting over it.

jmez

WKR
Don't overlook your neck. A buddy of mine fought "tendonitis" in his elbow for three years. Talking to his Dr. about it in passing and they took radiographs of his neck and he has cervical osteoarthritis. One of the most common causes of chronic arm/elbow pain.

He did postural rehab with a PT for about 6 mos and pain is gone for him.

Sammymusi

WKR
Man dealing with tennis elbow as I type ! I've had it bad since April/ beginning of may. Tiled my basement , then did a dry stack stone fireplace and kept pushing through the pain (wrong move ) I just started physical therapy 2 weeks ago.. feeling amazing and he said I can start shooting my bow this weekend..i can't tell you how pumped I am to be able to get that bow out and start shooting. It'll be the first time since the season.. lots of stretching , something called a voodoo band and it's getting better every day.

Sammymusi

WKR
It's my right arm my string arm. I can tell ya this has been the most annoying pain.. constant piercing. I went to the doc about a month ago and had them give me a cortisone shot and that did absolutely nothing. It feels like I have a bruise on my bone , can't grip anything if I twist the wrong way I drop whatever I have in my hand. If you are having these symptoms I can give you a few stretches or I would say get some therapy started let them show you what to do and you'll be feeling good.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
It's my right arm my string arm. I can tell ya this has been the most annoying pain.. constant piercing. I went to the doc about a month ago and had them give me a cortisone shot and that did absolutely nothing. It feels like I have a bruise on my bone , can't grip anything if I twist the wrong way I drop whatever I have in my hand. If you are having these symptoms I can give you a few stretches or I would say get some therapy started let them show you what to do and you'll be feeling good.

The article i posted above explains why a cortisone shot likely had no effect. Find someone who does instrument assisted soft tissue therapy like graston or similar, likely a physical therapist or chiropractor. Research shows most all the tools have similar effectiveness but you will find the most info yourself about graston if searching the web.

MtnMuley

WKR
My elbow tendonitis just came back after 5 years. While, I completely agree about taking time off for it to heal properly, I'm just not able to do that in my daily life, so I will go get a Cortizone shot. Might not be the best thing, but it has taken care of my tendonitis several times.

Ronb

WKR
Cortizone worked for me. But you got to treat it as a reset. Start from scratch with your exercises and take it easy.

Wellsdw

WKR
I’ve had tendinitis in shoulders knees, and elbows. My experience is catch it/recognize it early. And with rest and ibuprofen will fix mine in a couple of weeks. (If early) When I’ve had it bad, from work, usually knee. It takes months without shots, therapy. Completely go away. I’m a big fan of ibuprofen round the clock for a couple days, then a couple day off. For a week or two for bad flare ups. Also will pre treat if I know I’m going to do something that will aggravate it. I’ve also used the stuff called volteran. It’s a prescription that some docs will hook you up with