Manners Elite Hunter or Stocky’s Carbon Fiber Stock

Aside from weight time, which would you choose?

• Manners Elite Hunter

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Stocky’s Carbon Fiber Lay Up

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve narrowed my choice for a new stock for my Tikka T3x to either a Manners Elite Hunter or a Stocky’s Carbon Fiber Layup Stock. Disregarding wait time which do you prefer and why?

I haven’t used either of these, but HuntinTheWest on YouTube does a review on the Stockys stock and discusses some of the differences really well. Check it out if you haven’t already.

I think he is here also (rfurman)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I watched his YouTube review and it seemed like he was favorably impressed.

FURMAN

WKR
Yes, as stated in my videos the Stocky's stocks are impressive. They are made by AG Composites and they have a few more options now and have cleaned up the finishes a bit. For me if AG inlets for your action that would be my choice hands down. Obviously if they do not then it will have to be Manners or McMillan and I prefer Manners. Stocky's has 10% off today.

GLB

WKR
I have 3 Manner stocks 1 is the Elite hunter and I also have a Bell and Carlson, all custom rifles. The EH is a nice stock and very light weight. The BC is heavier but much Cheaper. Happy with both. No experience with Stocky's stocks but hear some good reviews.

I’m a dealer for AG if you decide to go that way but it’s only for the AG specific models. Their Alpine Hunter is proving to be very popular and it’s an ounce lighter and more rigid than the EH1 from Manners.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a couple manners, seems either the grip is on the long side or the stock is on the thick side for a trim mountain rifle. The stockys shape looks great.

FURMAN

WKR
I have had several EH1s and 2 Stocky's. My Stocky's both weight 30-32 oz with 1" decelerators. My EH1s with .5" decelerators weighed 30-32 oz. My EH1 with a 1" decelerator weighed 36oz. Actually my 3rd EH1 was sent back because it weighed 36oz with the .5" pad. I am not sure what they did to get it to 32oz. Maybe they just gave me a different one.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this in my other thread, but I wound up picking up one of the Stocky's Carbon Fiber Lay Up Bush Hunter Stocks during the 4th of July sale, and while the stock itself looks good, the fit and finish of the Limb Saver buttpad installation is far from ideal, with one of the screw holes drilled off-center. I spoke with someone at Stocky's, and other than to tell me that the pad is glued on and grind-to-fit (Neither is true), they offered no help, and refused to send a replacement expedited.

I was going to try to fix the issue myself, but instead I've returned the Stocky's stock and ordered a Manners Elite hunter that will arrive in a few days.

D0hOrrm.jpg

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
I posted this in my other thread, but I wound up picking up one of the AG composites stocks from Stocky's during the 4th of July sale, and while the stock itself looks good, the fit and finish of the Limb Saver buttpad installation is far from ideal, with one of the screw holes drilled off-center. I spoke with someone at Stocky's, and other than to tell me that the pad is glued on and grind-to-fit (Neither is true), they offered no help, and refused to send a replacement expedited.

I guess my best option is to try to fix it myself.

D0hOrrm.jpg

That is not made by AG Composites.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding was that AG makes them and Stocky's brands them. Do you know who actually manufactures the stocks?

In the end I am going to return the stock and have ordered a Manners Elite Hunter that will be here early next week.

FURMAN

WKR
My understanding was that AG makes them and Stocky's brands them. Do you know who actually manufactures the stocks?

In the end I am going to return the stock and have ordered a Manners Elite Hunter that will be here early next week.

That is true for the LRCF vertical grip stocks. The AG Composite stocks are as nice as a Manners or McMillan. If I remember correctly the stock you purchased(I have one as well) is/was made by a company in NZ.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Did you buy the Carbon Fiber one that was $549 (prior to discount), or the cheaper, molded plastic type one? There is a huge difference in quality and the price point is very different because of it.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
That is true for the LRCF vertical grip stocks. The AG Composite stocks are as nice as a Manners or McMillan. If I remember correctly the stock you purchased(I have one as well) is/was made by a company in NZ.

OK, thanks. I was confused by your statement in post #4 above, but will remove my references to AG in my posts.
Yes, as stated in my videos the Stocky's stocks are impressive. They are made by AG Composites and they have a few more options now and have cleaned up the finishes a bit.

Did you buy the Carbon Fiber one that was $549 (prior to discount), or the cheaper, molded plastic type one? There is a huge difference in quality and the price point is very different because of it.

I bought the Stocky's Carbon Fiber Lay Up Bush Hunter Stock that is $599 on their site.

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
Probably more my fault. I saw you comparing to Manners and I immediately jumped on the EH1 vs the LRCF. It completely blew over your statement about which stock it was. I apologize for the confusion. I still love my carbon fiber layup but wish they would have used a Decelerator pad instead.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my Manners Elite Hunter, and the fit and finish is leaps and bounds better than that of the Stocky's Carbon Fiber Layup. This is what I would expect for a $600 stock. To answer my original poll, Manners all day long.

QQoOIxO.jpg

Those stockys carbon come out of New Zealand. Kiwi composites Was the name now it's southfort labs.

Not a fan..

Apparently qc sucks

good buy on the manners elite hunter.

I wouldn't think twice about having the recoil pad mildly misaligned like that as long as inlet and barrel channel fit well.

If you spend some time researching online you will find many stories of manners inlets being off. That doesnt mean they aren't one of the best out there.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't think twice about having the recoil pad mildly misaligned like that as long as inlet and barrel channel fit well.

If you spend some time researching online you will find many stories of manners inlets being off. That doesnt mean they aren't one of the best out there.

You are probably right, but if they don’t care enough to deal with blatantly obvious issues like drilling the recoil pad mounting screw hole off center, I’m not sure I trust them with less obvious QC issues. I also called to talk with the folks at Manners about a couple of things, and they were incredibly helpful.

FURMAN

WKR
I can not vouch for their QC because my one stock is obviously not a great representation of their overall QC but I will say that every stock I have seen with that exact recoil pad has a less than stellar fit. That does not let them off the hook. They are the ones that chose to use that particular recoil pad. This is the reason I prefer the grind to fit Pachmayrs. Manners may have better fit and finish and if that is top priority than that is the way you should go. Manners is not going to get a stock in the 24oz weight range with a 1" recoil pad. If you want super light weight with a heavier recoiling rifle then the Stocky's Tikka carbon is worth looking at. If the fit/finish bothers you that much have a pachmayr grind to fit installed. I completely get expectations for a $600 stock. Only you can decide if is worth it.