Manti Utah Spike Elk

nobody

WKR
Good afternoon everyone! New guy here, but a long time lurker and researcher through Rokslide via the Google Machine! Love the culture here and have already found some good info for some gear.

Now, to get down to business: I just have a general question. Those of you who have spent time on the Manti unit this year, are you seeing spikes? I had the LE early rifle tag (I was the lone guy to draw with 9 points, so please don't hate me!) down there last year and saw about 12 of them opening morning alone, and I'm curious if anyone else is seeing them at all? I have a special needs cousin in law I'm trying to get onto his first elk this fall, and I live in the Wasatch and have been scouting up here, but I'm contemplating on taking him to Manti because I know the unit so well. I don't want to know where anybody has seen any spikes or the drainage or even whether it was the northern or southern half of the unit. Just simply, have you guys been seeing them, yes or know? Just trying to weigh out my options!

Thanks in advance to everyone, happy hunting!

Last edited:
OP
N

nobody

WKR
Can't help on the spike question but welcome to the forum.
Great elk too.

Thank you sir, it was a trip of once in a lifetime memories for sure! Pretty special the way it played out.

I would call the biologist for both units and ask them how calf recruitment has been.
If one is significantly higher then other go there.
If similar go with what you know best.
Hope you and your cousin have a great hunt!

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I would call the biologist for both units and ask them how calf recruitment has been.
If one is significantly higher then other go there.
If similar go with what you know best.
Hope you and your cousin have a great hunt!
Thanks sir! Appreciate the kind words, added to my to-do list tomorrow!