Manufactured Home on Land While Building

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with this? I am about to make this a reality and I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has done something similar. Experience with it? Do's and Don'ts? Resale of mobile home? Thanks for any insight.

Used to sell them for palm harbor. Was very successful at it too. I’ll shooter you a pm with my number. Feel free to call and ask questions. I’m not in the biz anymore so I’m not going to try and sell you anything. Just going to give you the good and bad and dos and donts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO you will end up living in it and never build or start building and not finish what you want. Have seen this many times over. If your serious about building, buy a nice used Fifth wheel or similar camper. More economic, easier to move and it forces you to get the ball rolling. Then it has dual purpose after the fact, and easier to sell.
If your rural and have room build a nice garage/ barn/ shop first. You can live in it while building house. Then have room to do your milling, wood work, and storage of materials. This is the route we went. I built shop first with RV. Then RV Hookups on shop for power and water and septic dump tied into septic tank. Shop also gave place of refuge to get out of camper. Now in house and have a great shop to work and store equipment. My 2 cents.

87TT

WKR
I live in one now and have for five years, No downside for me. Probably the most energy efficient home I have been in. Just find a "good" one and put it on a full foundation. I was single when I bought mine and the only thing I would change now is maybe a little larger one now that I'm married again. Oh yeah my shop/garage is way bigger than the house.

Buy a pile of shit single wide and tow it in with a pickup. You'll hate it so much that it'll give you ample motivation to finish construction on the new home. Afterwards you can sell the pile for next to nothing or scrap it.

JoeDirt

WKR
You can get a park model home, thats what my dad did growing up. Money and time never seem to have both at the same time....lol

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
IMO you will end up living in it and never build or start building and not finish what you want. Have seen this many times over. If your serious about building, buy a nice used Fifth wheel or similar camper. More economic, easier to move and it forces you to get the ball rolling. Then it has dual purpose after the fact, and easier to sell.
If your rural and have room build a nice garage/ barn/ shop first. You can live in it while building house. Then have room to do your milling, wood work, and storage of materials. This is the route we went. I built shop first with RV. Then RV Hookups on shop for power and water and septic dump tied into septic tank. Shop also gave place of refuge to get out of camper. Now in house and have a great shop to work and store equipment. My 2 cents.
My limitation is that I have a wife and kid and she is not about living in an RV for the year or two that it takes to build what we want... I figured a single-wide is not much different and a lot more space. I still need to design the house and then build time.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Buy a pile of shit single wide and tow it in with a pickup. You'll hate it so much that it'll give you ample motivation to finish construction on the new home. Afterwards you can sell the pile for next to nothing or scrap it.
As ineloquent as this sounds, my hunting buddy is doing this very thing right now, bought property, plans to build staying in a crappy single wide bought of a family member of his for next to nothing.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
As ineloquent as this sounds, my hunting buddy is doing this very thing right now, bought property, plans to build staying in a crappy single wide bought of a family member of his for next to nothing.
If it was just me and I did not have a wife and kid, I would do just that... Probably a camper, actually. Probably have to go with a newer singlewide I'm thinking.

Might want to check with the township to make sure it’s allowed before you invest money into something.
That's great advice. Many entities have an maximum age on MH's. the county I live in has a restriction on anything built before 1976.

If you have enough room on property after the house is built use the trailer house as a rental. It can help pay your mortgage with the right renters.
And yes having happy wife is key. Living in a RV with kids for a extended time can be very hard and lead to not so positive outcome. Also building a house can be very stressful on a relationship when numbers don’t add up and it keeps getting more expensive.

Derk1890

FNG
I would echo the previous posts. Don’t get anything nice that would persuade you to stay longer than needed and don’t overpay for something you will likely will resell for a fraction of your cost.

I am staying in a Keystone 340BH while we are building our home.

Once the house is built we are moving the Camper to our lake property and will have an instant house there as well. + side is that I can tow it there with my truck.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are really making me think twice about just getting an RV... Especially after dealing with these manufactured home salesmen.. I hate to say it, but my experience over the last couple weeks with them has been the worst. Sleaziest, slimiest group I've ever seen.

Deadfall

WKR
Probably whatever you think the house build will, it'll be more. Commute. Stay in tent few days at a wack. Put the trailer into the house

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with this? I am about to make this a reality and I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has done something similar. Experience with it? Do's and Don'ts? Resale of mobile home? Thanks for any insight.
My cousin and her husband purchased a single wide to live in while their house was being built. They were in it for about 18 months or so and had no problem selling it. I guess a lot of that depends upon your location.

My wife, 3 kids and I are planning on doing the same if our plans come to fruition. Have homesite planned out, get permanent septic installed, well drilled and electrical service ran, slap a single wide on it and build my own house.

It's definitely doable, you (and your family) just have to go into it with the right mindset.