Manufactured Home on Land While Building

go_deep

WKR
My girlfriend in Highschool parents were going to do this, instead they built a 3 car garage with a loft, used what was going to be the house well and septic and branched it to the gage and put in a bathroom, and her dad made temp walls for bedrooms. They worked on the house themselves till it was done, took down the temp walls in the garage, and had an awesome garage with a bathroom in it when they were done.

Edit, 3 1/2 car garage. Bath in the back kitchen in the front half stall. They left them both in place after the house was done and with the garage heated they had parties out there, I was a heck of a nice setup!

Last edited:
When doing stuff like this you really need to watch the bottom line and have a plan, if a guy isn't
careful you can dump a bunch of money into moving and setting up a mobile home that will just rob time and resources from the actual project. If you're end goal is to have a garage with living quarters, or an RV site, or nice shop, then those ideas have merit, if you don't care about any of those things its probably time and money that you can put into the house you actually want to build. What's your current situation? Distance you're living from where you're building? Can you stay where you are, maybe get a camper to crash in and leave the wife and kids home where they'll be happier? Lots of variables but with the every rising costs of construction its easy to step over a dollar to pick up a dime.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
When doing stuff like this you really need to watch the bottom line and have a plan, if a guy isn't
careful you can dump a bunch of money into moving and setting up a mobile home that will just rob time and resources from the actual project. If you're end goal is to have a garage with living quarters, or an RV site, or nice shop, then those ideas have merit, if you don't care about any of those things its probably time and money that you can put into the house you actually want to build. What's your current situation? Distance you're living from where you're building? Can you stay where you are, maybe get a camper to crash in and leave the wife and kids home where they'll be happier? Lots of variables but with the every rising costs of construction its easy to step over a dollar to pick up a dime.
I’m selling my house to do the land deal, land improvements, and temporary living. Everyone has to come with lol. I wish I could keep the house and do everything, but it would be stretching things way too thin if I did. I’m still considering an RV and just building a barndo right off the bat to get us into something more permanent that I would like to have anyway. We can then build the main house later.

def90

WKR
Keep in mind there will be additional costs in regards to sewer/septic field, water and power by having all of that plumbed to the temporary place and then moved to the permanent later. Those costs can be significant.

If that ends up being over $15k you could rent a place for a year and be at the same level or ahead.. As well as buying a mobile home and taking whatever depreciation with it when you try to sell down the road.

This is the kind of stuff that trips people up and they end up living in the single wide forever and the house never gets done. If you can't get a construction loan to cover it all and rent a place then make sure your expectations are at the appropriate level.

It's also why many jurisdictions do not allow you to do this.

Last edited:
OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind there will be additional costs in regards to sewer/septic field, water and power by having all of that plumbed to the temporary place and then moved to the permanent later. Those costs can be significant.

If that ends up being over $15k you could rent a place for a year and be at the same level or ahead.. As well as buying a mobile home and taking whatever depreciation with it when you try to sell down the road.

This is the kind of stuff that trips people up and they end up living in the single wide forever and the house never gets done. If you can't get a construction loan to cover it all and rent a place then make sure your expectations are at the appropriate level.

It's also why many jurisdictions do not allow you to do this.
I plan on putting the mobile home where a shop/disconnected garage will be in the future. It will have an apartment so the plumbing/power/septic can be used again... This would be the ideal scenario anyway.

Adrico

FNG
I lived in a travel trailer for 1 year and 6 months while building my house.
I bought an empty lot, cleared it out and built a septic system on it.
After that I bought my trailer and hooked it up to the septic system.
It worked out great for me. After I finished my house I traded the trailer for landscaping work.
I might possibly do it again, but this time I'm thinking about building a shop first with some living quarters in it.

jlh42581

WKR
Just buy a full modular home and be done. Theyll bring it in, set it on the foundation bolt it together and youre done. Theyre as nice as any stick built house for the most part these days.

I have a six figure income and live in a 1100 sq ft manufactured home on a foundation. I use 375 gallons of oil in an entire year. My mortgage is less than my truck payment. Just cause you have money doesnt mean you gotta go crazy.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Just buy a full modular home and be done. Theyll bring it in, set it on the foundation bolt it together and youre done. Theyre as nice as any stick built house for the most part these days.

I have a six figure income and live in a 1100 sq ft manufactured home on a foundation. I use 375 gallons of oil in an entire year. My mortgage is less than my truck payment. Just cause you have money doesnt mean you gotta go crazy.
I kinda want to go crazy though lol. I’ve always wanted to build a house

Finch

WKR
Lumber prices have really skyrocketed over the past year. I'm in the planning process of building a 12x24 or so building and it's crazy to me what the prices are now. Some prices have gone up like 112%.

Have fun with the build though! A dream of mine for sure. Just need to find a decent chunk of land first.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Lumber prices have really skyrocketed over the past year. I'm in the planning process of building a 12x24 or so building and it's crazy to me what the prices are now. Some prices have gone up like 112%.

Have fun with the build though! A dream of mine for sure. Just need to find a decent chunk of land first.
That’s a good reason why I need an in-between. I’m really hoping the COVID price increases come off some later in the year. Will give me time to design and hopefully I’ll catch the downswing so I can get the build going.

Grumman

WKR
Good thread I think I’m going to be moving to some land and contemplating what to do while building.

I bought a fifth wheel one time from a guy whose family lived in it while he built his house. I’ll never forget when he sold it he said he never wanted to see another camper. He said the family being cooped up in that during the build almost caused a divorce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Spend it on the shop a bigger house is just more shit to clean and not get used.
Unfortunately, I have a boss that might dictate some of the design. I’ll probably build the shop/barn later so I can afford more

grfox92

WKR
My limitation is that I have a wife and kid and she is not about living in an RV for the year or two that it takes to build what we want... I figured a single-wide is not much different and a lot more space. I still need to design the house and then build time.
Some of the 5th wheels are huge with all the slide outs. Bigger then some houses I've been in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread I think I’m going to be moving to some land and contemplating what to do while building.

I bought a fifth wheel one time from a guy whose family lived in it while he built his house. I’ll never forget when he sold it he said he never wanted to see another camper. He said the family being cooped up in that during the build almost caused a divorce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I see my experience going the same way if i did this lol