Mapping Resources

What is everyone using for mapping resources this year? I looked at both the OnX and GAIA free trials, also looked at mytopo. I'll be 100% within NF or WA units and honestly just thinking of running with a paper topo and Garmin gps back-up. Any thoughts?

Backyard

WKR
Mytopo and a gps is all I've ever used. I've got Gaia, but seldom need to pull it out. I hunt the same: NF & WA, I know ahead of time where the private land is. If I get into it, I'm pretty far out and lost.

OP
longspeak74
Admittedly, I am much more comfortable with a topo map and that's all I have used up to this point. Everyone raves about the mobile ap maps, so thought I'd get some feedback. Everything I hunt here in Wisconsin is private, so this is strictly for my Colorado hunts.

Drenalin

WKR
I use OnX on my phone and like it a lot, but also carry a paper map (mytopo) and a compass because I don't trust the phone enough to rely totally on it. A map and a GPS is a good system, assuming you know how to use the compass in your GPS and maybe carry a small bubble compass as a backup.

ScottP

WKR
Gaia. I have the premium membership. it's handy if you explore a lot of new national forests you can load the MVUM to show the open roads as well as the wilderness trails layer. It has a ton of other maps as well.

CutBait

FNG
I will have to look nito the Gaia mapping application. I've never heard of it and apparently live under a rock!

As for personal mapping, living in the Midwest I used to rely on plat books, Google Earth, and printed maps from my computer. Now its strictly OnX much like everybody else in the hunting community.

brous8732

FNG
Gaia has been awesome and it's only $40 per year. As far as I can tell, it has all the same features as OnX

Vandy321

WKR
I have really liked GAIA as well, the price is right, and the layers are fantastic.