Marathon prep

amassi

WKR
Ive ran 2 halfs and 1 full but my last one was in 2011 at the time I was coaching full time and one of my clients with some triathlon training helped me prep. In the last decade I've added a wife, 2 kids and a desk job so I'm throughly run deconditioned- my longest run this year was 3 miles. I want to run a half in March 2022, and a full summer of 22. What prep program do you experts recommend

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure on training plans to follow. There are plenty of free plans out there. But if your longest run this year is 3 miles, I would suggest starting to build now. Quick jumps in distance/volume often leads to injuries. Give your self time to build into whatever half marathon training plan you choose.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
Not sure on training plans to follow. There are plenty of free plans out there. But if your longest run this year is 3 miles, I would suggest starting to build now. Quick jumps in distance/volume often leads to injuries. Give your self time to build into whatever half marathon training plan you choose.
I'm seven months out from a 1/2.
Between runs and warmups I likely run close to 15-18 miles a week. Similar distance of rowing, rucking and biking so I'm not going from couch to marathon.
Have you used any of the free programs to build to a marathon?

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't actually run a road marathon since 2015, but I used a generic plan probably from the Runners World website. I'm sure it was a mix of short easy runs, one day of higher intensity speedwork, and a long run on the weekend. That's pretty much what all the free plans will have. I would say pick one that fits with your goals and training time availability for your half. Learn what works and what doesn't during that cycle and then adjust for your marathon. Just to lend a little credibility, I've been into the trail and ultra races since my last road marathon in 2015. For my first couple ultras, I followed a plan from a book (Relentless Forward Progress). But since then I just kind of do my own plan based loosely on that original plan.

Step 1 - Simply make a run be part of your daily habit. It can be very short, maybe just 1-2 miles. The hardest part of getting back into it is rebuilding the habit. So keep it short so that fatigue is not a hurdle. Just long enough to feel a boost from it. Slightly longer runs on 1-2 days a week are okay when you have more time but make sure the fatigue from them do not keep you from getting out the following day. The daily run is the critical component so the longer runs aren't even necessary. Using the same loop and the same effort is best because it's such a simple plan that it doesn't require much attention or thought beforehand. If you work full time, with a wife and kids, you surely don't have extra time or thought energy into managing a complicated plan. Use the daily 'boring' run to relax and sort some things out in your head. Use it to make your day better.

Step 2 - After about 4 weeks, increase the daily run by about a mile. As your legs feel stronger and not beat up from just getting the run done, let the pace creep faster after the 15-20 minute warm up. Use the extra fitness to finish running faster, practicing better mechanics than increasing the mileage until it's time to.

Step 3 - Repeat Step 2.

Once your endurance reaches the point where you're running 7-8 miles per day, then the benefits of the long run become significantly useful enough. Still, the long run shouldn't be so long that you can't do the daily run the following day.

Only when we get up to around 60-70 miles per week does spending effort on high intensity runs make sense. Especially the marathon, our ability to run at a high intensity is not the limiting factor. Not being beat up by the miles, is.

Last edited:

63-88

FNG
I've found the Garmin watch / app plans to be really beneficial for my recently training the last 2 half's that I've done.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
good plans should look very (very) similar- concentrating on building your base, adding mileage very slowly, include rest days and periodic rest weeks (still running, but cutting back mileage), a long run once a week (this also gets bumped up very slowly) and a taper at the end before your race

agree with the advice above, get the miles in- forget the speed for now

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Similar advice as above. I used Hal Higdon plans. Start out with novice plan (Or any plan that does not have speed workouts). Frame workout of most plans is the same. Build on a base. Stretch yourself out. And taper ~ 3 weeks. Sounds simple. It is not. By week 10 you will question yourself! Main goal is to get to race day healthy. A 16-18 week training cycle is a grind. Be willing to swap days, cross train, and eat/fuel throughout.

Hal's plans have enabled tons of people to reach the finish line of many marathons. Tried and true formula.

Attachments

• 1640539701402.gif
    1640539701402.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 16

Tedhunts

FNG
Its been a few years, but i trained for Boston using Runners World "Run Less Run Faster" program for 16 weeks, which is basically 3 runs a week and 2 cross training days ( I cycled those 2). The 3 days are different.. 1 High intensity Speed Day, 1 Tempo Day ( above race pace) and 1 Long and Slow day. All training paces are based off your target finish time. Maximum weekly mileage was about 35-40 miles if i remember correctly.

My body can't handle crazy amounts of high mileage, so this worked well ( ran at age 50)... i was lucky enough to run a BQ while at Boston, which is a little challenging with traffic and downhills.

Reactions: 307

Dos XX

WKR
Jack Daniels, if you please.

Never used this website, but it offers a little explanation. I did use the book for several years and quite a few races.

Ive ran 2 halfs and 1 full but my last one was in 2011 at the time I was coaching full time and one of my clients with some triathlon training helped me prep. In the last decade I've added a wife, 2 kids and a desk job so I'm throughly run deconditioned- my longest run this year was 3 miles. I want to run a half in March 2022, and a full summer of 22. What prep program do you experts recommend

Find a free plan online and keep it very easy to start. Being out of the game like you are, a paid for plan is just going to be super basic.

luvsdux

FNG
A triathlon friend shared the following with me about marathon training:

I pulled Arthur Lydiard's book, Running to the Top, off the shelf and thumbed to the chapter on marathon training. There is a short, easily overlooked passage preceding a marathon training schedule that is the key to marathon success. The passage reads as follows:

For as long as possible:

Monday: Long aerobic running, 60 minutes.
Tuesday: Long aerobic running, 90 minutes.
Wednesday: Long aerobic running, 60 minutes.
Thursday: Long aerobic running, 90 minutes.
Friday: Long aerobic running, 60 minutes.
Saturday: Long aerobic running, 60 minutes.
Sunday: Long aerobic running, 120 minutes or more.

My friend said it looks like a recipe for overtraining. Yet overtraining syndrome (OTS) is often caused by jumping too quickly into faster paced, hard training without first spending as long as possible building your endurance, durability, and strength at a comfortable rate that your body can handle.

I added only one qualifier to Lydiard's passage: you cannot run too slow.