Mark 5 3.6-18 vs NF Nx8 2.5-20

xrangerx

WKR
I’m trying to choose my next scope and these are checking most of the boxes. Wondering what you all would go with?

Thanks!

MCase

FNG
I’m running the Leupold on a PROOF rifle right now and on an MPA Chassis Rifle. Definitely the best optic Leupold has produced. Glass is phenomenal and tracking has been perfect out to 1350yds....hard pressed to find much better. Haven’t had a chance to even take a peak at the NX8....

OP
X

xrangerx

WKR
I’m running the Leupold on a PROOF rifle right now and on an MPA Chassis Rifle. Definitely the best optic Leupold has produced. Glass is phenomenal and tracking has been perfect out to 1350yds....hard pressed to find much better. Haven’t had a chance to even take a peak at the NX8....

They have a lot of similarities. Close enough in price to consider either. Weight is close. Tough because not many of the NX8’s are out in people’s hands yet

I don’t have an NX8 but I do have a mk 5 and a lot of other higher end scopes. I have no complaints about the function of the 5, and not looking to sell it, but just never been impressed with leupold’s glass when compared with the euro in the same price range. That could just be my eyes, but you’d likely be happy with either!

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
hypothetically it is with the illumination. I wish it was an SFP scope for that reason
The MK5 is very usable at 3.6 power without ilumination, my wife just shot a bull in the timber 1/2 hour before dark and didn't have a problem seeing the reticle
I am a huge fan of the CDS dials that Leupold offers. I am also a huge fan of the mil discount they give, which is SIGNIFICANTLY more than what Nightforce offers.
The MK5 doesn't utilize the cds turrets, they're much better and allow precise adjustments for atmospheric changes and shot angle

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I just got done hunting with my 2.5-20 NX8. I was quite impressed with it. I had morning just after first light that I used it to help judge a buck at 600 yards since I didn't have my spotter. The reticle at low power isn't my favorite, but honestly I keep it at 6x while walking about.

If you compare the moar reticle in the 4-16 atacr to the nx8 the difference is the nx8 has more moa drop hash marks. If it was more like the atacr I think that would help it more at low power.

I just spent a day at the range with a NX8 4-32, an ATACR 4-16x42 F1 and a NXS 3.5-15x50-. I've only looked through the MK5 in store.

All 3 scopes are within 1 ounce of each other have some similarities and some differences and they are within 1-2 ounces of the Mk5 5-25.

The NX8 is a phenomenal scope for the cost, packed with features-- at 4x the reticle is usable without illumination but not for dark or forested areas, the dials are great, and the eye box is forgiving. Magnification at the high end was still quite clear and usable. The only thing I'll give the Leupold an edge on is their dial as I do like how it locks into position.

The ATACR has the edge over all of them for glass quality and I love my zeroset, I found it wasn't quite as forgiving to get behind as the NX8 and I like the magnification adjustment on the NX8 better than the ATACR.

OP
X

xrangerx

WKR
I just spent a day at the range with a NX8 4-32, an ATACR 4-16x42 F1 and a NXS 3.5-15x50-. I've only looked through the MK5 in store.

All 3 scopes are within 1 ounce of each other have some similarities and some differences and they are within 1-2 ounces of the Mk5 5-25.

The NX8 is a phenomenal scope for the cost, packed with features-- at 4x the reticle is usable without illumination but not for dark or forested areas, the dials are great, and the eye box is forgiving. Magnification at the high end was still quite clear and usable. The only thing I'll give the Leupold an edge on is their dial as I do like how it locks into position.

The ATACR has the edge over all of them for glass quality and I love my zeroset, I found it wasn't quite as forgiving to get behind as the NX8 and I like the magnification adjustment on the NX8 better than the ATACR.

Ive thought about an SFP ATACR too. So many good choices these days. Leupold being just down the road is nice too

OP
X

xrangerx

WKR
After using both for the last couple months, I have to say I prefer the Nightforce. The Leupold is the nicest Leupold I’ve used, but I prefer the NF.

which NF model are you using? The 2.5-20 or 4-32?