WKR
Both Max 18 power

300 wsm

some dialing

Nearly identical price range.

what do you pick ?

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I started running one last year and it has been a great scope for me, I would definitely buy again if I needed another scope.

Brianb3

WKR
My mark5 showed up in the mail yesterday. Pretty excited. I’ve wanted to try a ffp. We’ll see how it goes. I had the z5 on a kimber MA. Super light set up but the turret system was always a little wonky. If you into saving OZ swarro. I can’t give you first hand info on the m5 yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Have an M5 and loved so much I have one for my smaller 6.5 mountain rifle and one for a larger 30. In my experience they always dial true and are light considering all of the features! Took a nice Ram with my M5 scope last year, definitely banged around a bit on horses and climbing... all held true.

CLP

FNG
I have and use both frequently and I would have to say that picking between the two has a lot to do with the rifle you plan to mount it on. If weight is a major concern and occasionally dialing means 600 yards max, the Z5 is probably a fine scope. Beyond 600 and the Mark 5 is a simple choice since it's got a lot more elevation travel.

The Mark 5 also feels a lot more robust; however I've had my Z5 on a 5lb 10oz 300 RUM and it's handled the recoil over a hundred plus rounds without any issues so far. The glass is superior (to my eyes) in the Z5 during early and late hours of the day. Mid-day they seem a lot closer in resolution and brightness. Both seem slightly challenged with available mounting systems but more and more builders seem to be making rings tailored towards hunters (i.e. Hawkins) for the Leupold. I use ARC M10's (heavy recoil) and Talley Alloy's (light recoil) for the Z5. Leupold wins hands down when considering reticles.

Sorry for the long winded post. If I had a pencil thin barreled sub-7lb rifle I would pick the Z5. If I was shooting a heavier contoured rifle "that I was capable of shooting" 600 plus I would pick the Leupold. IMHO they're both fantastic when used in the right application.

I wouldn't overlook a used X5 in good shape either. You'll pay a couple ounce weight penalty over the Mark 5 but it bridges the best features of the two scopes if weight isn't the principle deciding factor.