Marmot Fencing Vehicles in CO?

Poser

WKR
I’ve never given much thought to fencing off my vehicle when parking at various high country trail heads throughout the summer and early Fall months and I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a vehicle with a marmot wrap on it in the San Juans, but I’ve heard 2 stories so far this year of chewed wiring resulting in 5k+ worth of damage.

Anyone taking such precautions?

Broomd

WKR
People wonder why the rodent/wire thing has become such an issue--even short term. Honda (and likely others) have recently used soy-based wire casing in an effort to be more 'green'...we know that always works out well. :D
I had a Honda sport touring bike that had rodent damage to the wiring harness due to the same flavorful wiring. Behold Honda's fix: a chili pepper-based tape to be applied over the soy stuff. True story, I used it.

Sorry to 'jack, just thought I'd add some context with this.

People wonder why the rodent/wire thing has become such an issue--even short term. Honda (and likely others) have recently used soy-based wire casing in an effort to be more 'green'...we know that always works out well.
+1

People wonder why the rodent/wire thing has become such an issue--even short term. Honda (and likely others) have recently used soy-based wire casing in an effort to be more 'green'...we know that always works out well. :D
I had a Honda sport touring bike that had rodent damage to the wiring harness due to the same flavorful wiring. Behold Honda's fix: a chili pepper-based tape to be applied over the soy stuff. True story, I used it.

Rodents have been chewing wires for decades...

I've seen marmots take up housing of a belly pan in a D-8. Exceptionally tough on fan belts and hoses. Just try to get them out.

There was a point of revenge when one of them attempted to escape through the fan compartment while it was running. It was a more than adequate fur and meat grinder.

When I was on lookout we had a hog wite garage to save your vehicle from porcupines. It worked! They also like fan belts, radiator hoses and tires.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
No clue on the wrapping but i put little rodent repel bags in the engine compartment to keep them away, no clue if they work but after having a squirrel remove the hood liner I haven’t had an issue since.

Do you know if insurance covered the damages for those 2?

I know in one case insurance did cover the damage. Not sure about the other.

Wvroach

WKR
Yep, no news there.

The point is that they are now even more motivated to eat wiring made out of freakin' food. What used to take some time to occur can happen overnight.
My brothers Subaru had the wiring harness chewed up a few times within a couple months. New vehicle had several others in the same area never had a rodent problem. Brought home the Subaru and the soy based wiring pulled em in right away. Crazy, i think having 5 vehicles for years in the same area and never having a issue and then bringing in the new one and within a few weeks it started having issues.

Insurance did cover his under comprehensive, after the last wiring harness replacement he sold it back to the dealer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Never had an issue with marmots, but the pack rats can sure take up residence in the vehicles in a hurry........nests in the engine compartment, the engine V, and even under the truck on top of the spare tire.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
It is a covered loss on an auto, equipment, or atv policy. Animal, vermen or rodent infestation is not a covered loss on a homeowners policy.

Used to have a severe problem with the inground wiring at our ballfields. This is all installed in the 70s, so I’m pretty sure it’s all PVC. California ground squirrels eat the crap out of it. Constantly having to fix chewed wiring and remove fried ground squirrels from the vaults. Little fuckers

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider

My dads ford pickup (2019) had multiple wires chewed threw by squirrels. Ford mechanic said the same - soy wiring

To the OP. Bring a large tarp. Lay it out. Drive onto it. Wrap your car like a present and secure witb bungee cords

The little bastards cost me $5k for a new main wiring harness on my Bobcat skid steer. Been using a bottle of peppermint oil spray since then. So far so good
I had arguments with my insurance guys for several days & of course they didn't pay for shit. Said it was considered "rodent infestation".
I'd order a bottle & take it with you

OP
P

Poser

WKR
My dads ford pickup (2019) had multiple wires chewed threw by squirrels. Ford mechanic said the same - soy wiring

To the OP. Bring a large tarp. Lay it out. Drive onto it. Wrap your car like a present and secure witb bungee cords

I’ve seen pics of people doing this in CA, but I’ve never seen this used in CO.

Had mice chew the wires off a few fuel injectors on a 2010 Tundra. Was able to limp to dealer and “rodent damage” wasn’t covered by warranty. Didn’t think to turn into insurance. Service advisor was decent enough to tell me what parts to order and recommend my local guy install them to save $120/hr labor.