Marmot Precip vs Kryptek Jupiter

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
Considering these 2 pieces of raingear as packable type rain gear. Intend to use on various trips from backpack hunts to every day fishing trips. I realize neither of these are extremely high quality rain gear, and do not intend to use these in continous rainy/wet conditions. More so for pop up squalls and continuous light drizzles.

That being said, does anyone have experience with both of these? I've read tons of good reviews on the marmot, a few good reviews on the jupiter. Both seem packable, both have pit zips. How about durability? Actual 'waterproofness"? How noisy are the fabrics compared to eachother? Weight?

mlgc20

WKR
Haven't used the Jupiter. I have a lot of experience with the Precip pants and jackets. The Precip stuff is great. I've never had any issues with it from a waterproofness perspective. It breathes OK IMO. You won't mistake it for a high-end Gore-Tex piece. But, it's fine for what it is. It is not very quiet however. Would work for a rifle hunt. I probably wouldn't use it on an archery hunt. But, from a basic performance perspective, the Precip is a fantastic value.

I believe my buddy had the Juniper on a hunt we were on and it soaked through pretty quick in bad conditions. His puffy layer got wet and he was in real trouble because it started to snow storm.

I have the precip and so does my other buddy. He takes his into the mountains and it has help up good. He applies a dwr coating every year. I use the precip for camping and don't trust it for tearing. The material is very thin. You can find a jacket with Gore-Tex and far more durable for not much more or the same price.