Marmot Recipes

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All. I just moved from NC to CO a couple of weeks back. I was hiking about and found a couple of places with very robust marmot populations. I got to looking at the regulations, an season opens on them this weekend. Has anyone on here eaten marmot? Care to share any recipes?

Thanks.

OP
Dadnstuff

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
I was hiking/camping up about 11k ft last weekend, in San Isabel NF. Didnt start seeing them until about 10k feet --- but I'm no expert.

OP
Dadnstuff

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Dang. I will give it a try---and report back. Maybe a camp meal, and then as a stew of some sort. See if its edible at all.

Poser

WKR
Been on my list for awhile, but haven’t gotten around to it. My intention is to make gumbo with marmot.

I probably saw 20 last weekend, again it was up fairly high.

I was over in Posers area last week. I was curious if he noticed the same thing. I could see their numbers going in cycles but this is the first year we saw a noticeable change in numbers.

Poser

WKR
I was over in Posers area last week. I was curious if he noticed the same thing. I could see their numbers going in cycles but this is the first year we saw a noticeable change in numbers.

I’ve been out in the high country almost 30 days since May and haven’t noticed a decline. I wouldn’t be surprised if their population isn’t cyclical like rabbits, though.

Will_m

WKR
I’m sure any kind of slow cooking with good liquid and root vegetables would make a fine meal of marmot. I also would bet any squirrel recipe would do well with a marmot substitution.

I knew an old Shoshone-Bannock Indian from Pocatello that told me that he grew up eating Rock Chucks and still likes to eat a few every year. The way they cooked them was to throw the entire carcass, guts and all, directly onto a bed of coals. They would turn it over until all the hair was gone and the skin was burnt black. When the skin began to crack and peel it was usually done. No seasonings. Just cut it up and eat it.

So if you are interested in a traditional recipe, have at it.

MHB

FNG
I have tried to eat Marmot several times. They say that hunger is the best seasoning, well I can tell you that I must not have had enough seasoning. Each time I have tried to eat it it was roasted over a fire with what ever seasoning salt I had on me at the time.

If I ever try it again it will be braised or slow cooked with a very flavorful broth.

I personally didn't care for it, so I let them waddle.