Marmot scree pants for November in Montana ?

Shrek

WKR
Having never laid hands on the scree pants I'm wondering if they are enough with some heavyweight merino long johns for Montana in November ? I'm hearing lots of good things about them and several places have them on sale .

jherald

WKR
I have the scree pant and its a great lightweight pant, Don't know about Montana but I wouldn't wear them here in Alaska in November even with a layer underneath, they are very lightweight pants. They aren't windproof either. I would call them a good summer/fall weight pant, with layers underneath into fall. If your active hunting they may not be too bad, but stopping you'll feel the chill.

I would go with something with a heavier weight for November though, like a Kuiu Attack with a layer underneath or a Sitka 90% pant with a layer. Or skip the layer and get the Kuiu Guide pant, they have a nice brushed fleece lining.

Patagonia makes a nice softshell pant as well with velcro at the bottoms and a grid fleece liner, its the Shelled Insulator Pant. I have those and love them along with the Kuiu Guide Pants for colder weather hunting.

The Scree's are awesome for warmer weather and if you can find a deal on them in your size i would get a pair or two as they seem to sell out fast when they are on sale.

hairball

FNG
Bought a pair on sale from Campmor after reading lots of rave reviews. Just sent them back. Too loud of a material for me; sorta "swooshy" like walking in snowpants. Moving on to looking into other recommendations. REI acme I have tried on and really like but there are also spendy.

Great for hiking.. I wore the two pair I own quite a bit this winter while shed hunting, just be sure to have a good set of merino wool long johns on, or that wind will cut right through you!