Marmott helium vs helium membrane

Anyone experience these two and have comments? Is it worth it to move up to membrane?

Lawnboi

WKR
When I bought my lithium a while ago I was in the same debate, membrane or not. I got it without, but I wish I would have gotten it with.

The stock dwr is pretty good on the marmot but the membrane would have been nice. To cut the wind and keep the dew off that always seems to form.

That said I don't do down anymore, I now prefer synthetic to down for everything.

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
I have been debating the same question. I have settled on this bag, just debating if I want to spend the money on the membrane or not. Big10hunter, I found the helium and helium membrane for 279.00 shipped, have you found it any cheaper?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Membrane isn't needed with dual wall, as they don't get condensation.

Single wall shelters are prone to condensation without good ventilation.

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
Another question I have is if I should buy the bag in the long version. I am 6'0" even, and want to make sure I am not to long.

Toneloc

FNG
I'm also 6'0" right on the nose.

I found a smoking deal on the helium w/ membrane size long on 02gearshop.com a few months ago. ($260 shipped w/ coupon code)

It is a little long for me, but not excessively long.

Longer is better than too short in my opinion.

If your feet get up against the end of your bag in cold weather, they will get cold.

I've been there done that winter camping...

I think your best bet is to find a store that carries these bags and climb in and see for yourself for fitment.

If you are a side sleeper and curl up, you might not need as much length vs. a back sleeper who extends their feet all the way out.

The membrane bag is rated a for a few degrees cooler temps vs. the regular.

Even the long version of the membrane is only about 1/2 # more than the the normal version of the regular helium.

gelton

WKR
I am 6ft and the regular is fine for me. I have the sawtooth membrain and dig it. The membrain doesn't breathe as well but probably adds 5-10 degrees to the rating of the bag. My 15 degree bag kept me warm on nights that dipped down to as cold as 6 degrees.

OP
big10hunter
Well I am just wondering if the membrane is a mistake if you "dont" need it (double wall tent) Right now the membranes are cheaper by a lot and if I get one and use a double wall tent "will" it cause problems like condensation or sweating.

gelton

WKR
I have a double wall tent so I don't "need" the membrane just like to have it in case of the worst case scenario. I haven't noticed my bag causing any condensation or sweating, although it wouldn't be my first choice in temps above 45-50 degrees.

OP
big10hunter
If I were to go with the membrane, does that remove the need for a bivy if I am under a tarp? I doubt I will ever sleep under the stars with the membrane alone.

OP
big10hunter
Anyone know of a good deal on helium membrane? Best deal I found was 342

Last edited: