Marsh Rat

Catchfish

WKR
Who has one pros and cons of it. I’ve been thinking about getting a true layout boat and ran across the marsh rat and I’m now interested in it. I would have to get one shipped up to Ak and I’m figuring that’s going to be expensive.

Oregon

WKR
I owned one for many years, like an idiot, I sold it for more than I bought it for.
Good boat, they don’t paddle as straight and fast as an aqua pod. Do decent in a small chop.
ive used it as a true layout boat to shoot divers. Only on really nice days.
I once put myself(200#), 75# kid, 60# dog, and towed a sack of decoys about 300 yards and never felt unsafe. Uncomfortable, yes.
I now own another style sneak boat, and still miss my Rat.
If you are only needing an open water boat for layout hunting, a true layout is the best option. They come with skirts to keep the chop from ending up in the cockpit. Marsh rats aren’t designed for much over a 9” chop.

Fowlman

FNG
I have 2 of them. They are the old fiberglass ones that they used to make. I have used them for 16 years every year and they keep on trucking.

OP
C

Catchfish

WKR
I’ve decided if I can find somebody heading up from Portland Oregon Area to Alaska I would like to purchase 2 rats from mallard marine

Fowlman

FNG
As I said I will never sell mine. But i have several friends with aquapods. They seem to be a great boat as well.

For paddling and mobility an aquapod is faster and tracks better. But for layout hunting I think the marsh rat is a better set up.

I have a custom top on my boats that makes them like a Final Approach Pro Guide lay out blind. The guy who made them is no longer doing them but I could post some pics if you would like?

Graves14

WKR
I had one, had to sell it when I moved cross country but I absolutely loved it. Hope to get another bow that they are making them again

Check with any of the boat dealers, they ship a ton of boats out of Seattle every year. Perhaps you can piggy back on one for a few bucks.