Marsupial Gear binocular pack review

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have a few days in the field with the Marsupial Gear binocular pack and wanted to shoot a quick video since there has been so much talk about bino harnesses lately. So far I like the way it works and rides while hiking and glassing. Take a look at the video and let me know if you have any questions.

b582ef5636091fdc39fa5329a3d5a9b5.jpg

Here are a few details:

• Three sizes available with small sized for Swarovski 10x42, med sized for 12x50, large sized for 15x56
  • They are also available in four colors, Coyote brown, Foliage, Kryptek Highlander, and Kryptek Typhon

[video=youtube_share;SEh0fP8zQ-w]https://youtu.be/SEh0fP8zQ-w[/video]

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
I sure like mine. Its a mix of blood red and foliage colors now. One thing I dont think you mentioned is that the tethers are easily removable with the quick disconnects for folks who dont want them.

Thanks Justin, good review! I was wondering about the Marsupial set-up and now I have a good idea what they are about. Thanks! I agree with you that they might want to think about eliminating the quick releases from the shoulder straps and just sew the straps directly to the bag. I remove my AGC the same way and those releases seem totally unnecessary and just add bulk and awkward attachment to the pack in that area. The magnet closure looks really nice. Thanks again for the review!

LandYacht

WKR
I think you can use he harness for a different chest pack. That would be my guess for the buckles. I don't own one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
Great review Justin. Maybe the top buckles could be used without the harness. So you can attach it right to pack straps???

I think you can use he harness for a different chest pack. That would be my guess for the buckles. I don't own one though.

I think your right , on the website there is option to buy full kit with harness or bag only. Im going to give one a go

Jimbob

WKR
It looks perfect to me except it does not fully enclose the binoculars. I see the bino case as protection for my investment so I am hesitant to get a bino pack that does not fully protect them. Everything seems perfect to me and I want to take the plunge just a little unsure if I will be completely happy. I have never used a bino pack and this is the first time that I have really good glass.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've ran my Swarovski with out caps in the marsupial. With the magnetic closure of the lid you get a pretty good seal. Dust off course could be a issue on wheeler or side by side.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I just don't worry about getting things dirty. The FHF harness has slightly bigger openings on the sides at the top and it has never bothered me in the slightest. I actually think you're better off having airflow to help with the moisture on your eye pieces. I use the bino harness to keep rain off and that's really about it. I'm also not one of the guys who adds a protective case over my spotter. I simply put it in the side pockets of my pack and hit the trail. I have never had issues doing it this way.

Jimbob

WKR
Awesome thanks for the replies. I am not anal about keeping my gear pristine, I use what I have and it gets dirty. Just wasn't sure if the opening would be an issue. Thanks for your input.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just got off the phone with the owner. He said they are working on a design right now that will be more sealed for the guys who need that type of protection from dust and debris for times when you're riding in on a quad or things like that. He also said the upper buckles are for attaching different pouches to the harness or your pack.

TheCougar

WKR
I liked the review. I'm glad you mentioned the rangefinder pouch flopping around. I emailed the owner and told him I have the same problem. They need to stick that webbing attachment higher up on the pouch to get away from the center of gravity.

I ran this bino pack for the first time this weekend. Quality and construction is very very good. The harness system keeps it very secure and as tight as you want it to be no bounce. I really liked the way it opened and stayed secure with the magnets so the flap was not flopping around. Only two negatives were:
The portion on the back were the logo is on the harness , rubbed my back pretty bad because of its thickness in that spot. It was on the pack in and out accompanied with my backpack that was 25-30 lbs at the most. Second when you take the harness off if you set it on the ground , the magnets pick up a lot of dirt and little stones and sand particles. Other than those two minor things , i enjoyed this pack

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
Just received mine this weekend. Excited to try it out. One thing i did notice was the end of the strap you loop through the bino didnt have melted ends. I went to pull it through and the end frayed and got pretty stringy. a few cuts and the use of a lighter to melt the ends remedied the problem.

I took Justin's advice and swapped out the buckles on the front of the pack to ladderlocks. Definitely worth it if you don't like those bulky buckles. I posted the results in the "DIY Gear Modifications" forum if anyone is interested.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Still liking this bino harness. After I attached the rangefinder pouch properly, the flopping is just about taken care of. I also realized the pouch perfectly fits my Canon G7X or a Sony RX100 camera so I ordered another one for the other side.

8de193c193d98031afa1a2e41beb6beb.jpg

4346e7d88b20e3c15c22aca1789ffee2.jpg

2b31ff6da784e6537489f2b9be313e70.jpg