Marsupial harness quirks…

WoodBow

WKR
I told them my harness was too loud for bowhunting 5 years ago. They haven’t figured out a way to fix it. It’s still a good harness but the noise issue is a common complaint.
Sounds like it's time to upgrade to the new version that is quieter, now that you're making the big bucks.

I would just wash the rust. After the surface fully oxidizes it should provide for a protective coating and rust much slower. It's just cosmetic anyway.

As for the squeak, which material is on the inside? The cordura or the fleece?

I've owned two marsupials, have not had any of the problems youre having. Love their products, I would give them a call. I've used the customer service once, and it was top notch. They sent me a shipping label, I got them in the mail and had them back in 6 days. They are good people, they will take care of you.

I have said nothing bad about marsupial, mine isn’t great

LOL. The opposite of great is bad.

I understand your intention might not be to bad mouth them, but essentially that is exactly the effect you are creating. I have no ties to them other than being a satisfied customer. Making a call seems like the right thing to do before blasting (whether your intention or not) them publicly on the internet. I hope you find a harness that works out for you! I had an AGC that I used for 7 years that didn't have any of the issues you're having with the Marsupial. In terms of them remedying your issue they sew everything in house, so yes there's a chance then can fix your issue.

I told them my harness was too loud for bowhunting 5 years ago. They haven’t figured out a way to fix it. It’s still a good harness but the noise issue is a common complaint.

Weird. Mine is quiet and this is the only place I've heard otherwise.

OP
roosiebull
LOL. The opposite of great is bad.

I understand your intention might not be to bad mouth them, but essentially that is exactly the effect you are creating. I have no ties to them other than being a satisfied customer. Making a call seems like the right thing to do before blasting (whether your intention or not) them publicly on the internet. I hope you find a harness that works out for you! I had an AGC that I used for 7 years that didn't have any of the issues you're having with the Marsupial. In terms of them remedying your issue they sew everything in house, so yes there's a chance then can fix your issue.
Now blasting them?😂

A little dramatic, haha… I thought I made it as clear as I possibly could that I was not casting shade at all, I have a couple issues that are more than minor and was asking if others had as well… are you the type that like reading reviews unless the reviews include something not stellar about the product you have? That’s what it seems like… not bad mouthing them, certainly not blasting them, just had a couple issues I was wondering if they were common problems.

Most folks like honest feedback about products (at least I think they do… I do)

I will continue giving honest feedback of products I use, good and bad, so if that may offend you more in the future, you may want to put me on your ignore list in case I have a problem with something you like in the future… this is kinda crazy to me, on a hunting gear site on the gear section of said forum… it’s like talking anything but good about mathews on archery talk, haha

Now blasting them?😂

A little dramatic, haha… I thought I made it as clear as I possibly could that I was not casting shade at all, I have a couple issues that are more than minor and was asking if others had as well… are you the type that like reading reviews unless the reviews include something not stellar about the product you have? That’s what it seems like… not bad mouthing them, certainly not blasting them, just had a couple issues I was wondering if they were common problems.

Most folks like honest feedback about products (at least I think they do… I do)

I will continue giving honest feedback of products I use, good and bad, so if that may offend you more in the future, you may want to put me on your ignore list in case I have a problem with something you like in the future… this is kinda crazy to me, on a hunting gear site on the gear section of said forum… it’s like talking anything but good about mathews on archery talk, haha
You're taking my comments personally and missing the forest for the trees. I agree with you they would love feedback, that's why I said call them. Whatever man. Good luck this season. 🤯 If you're going to post more reviews please figure out what a run-on sentence is.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I didn't hear the siren, but apparently the self appointed chief of thread police put down the stethoscope and is impersonating a Karen while holding a fake badge. BOLO for hysterical exaggerations, dramatic leaps, and somehow also punctuation citations.

OP
roosiebull
I would just wash the rust. After the surface fully oxidizes it should provide for a protective coating and rust much slower. It's just cosmetic anyway.

As for the squeak, which material is on the inside? The cordura or the fleece?
It’s the fleece that’s causing the noise, do they make a cordura lined harness? If that’s the case, I would probably just buy the non magnetic version with that lining… I do like the harness besides the 2 problems that recently arose… I think both issues are moisture related

It’s the fleece that’s causing the noise, do they make a cordura lined harness? If that’s the case, I would probably just buy the non magnetic version with that lining… I do like the harness besides the 2 problems that recently arose… I think both issues are moisture related

I believe they 'upgraded' from the cordura to the fleece. I used to have the original, both harness and rangefinder pouch that was all cordura. I actually got rid of both because I believe the noisy cordura cost me a buck taking my range finder out. My new enclosed Marsupial is quieter, but haven't experienced the squeaking as you have. I don't think anything would be quieter than a non-squeaking fleece.

OP
roosiebull
I believe they 'upgraded' from the cordura to the fleece. I used to have the original, both harness and rangefinder pouch that was all cordura. I actually got rid of both because I believe the noisy cordura cost me a buck taking my range finder out. My new enclosed Marsupial is quieter, but haven't experienced the squeaking as you have. I don't think anything would be quieter than a non-squeaking fleece.
What it seems like to me is the little bit of moisture made the fleece lose loft on the contact areas, and now it’s a fairly slick surface that squeaks on the armor of the binos… the rust is cosmetic at this point, but it happened kind of suddenly, so we’ll see if that creates wear and wears through, maybe it won’t, but the harness hasn’t seen any real moisture yet, just some dewey foggy mornings and coastal air.

As it is, there is no way I would take my NL’s out of the harness with something inside 75 yds, it’s pretty loud, the 8x30slcs I have in it now are not loud at all, which makes sense.

Again, I don’t even think it’s an issue with their design, I think it’s an issue of where I live and hunt… there are lots of great products on the market that just don’t work well on the coast.

josef

FNG
Are the magnets rusting through or do you think they are attracting a ferrous material thats coming from the area that youre hunting? Not sure if there is a high iron content in the coast hills or not.

OP
roosiebull
Are the magnets rusting through or do you think they are attracting a ferrous material thats coming from the area that youre hunting? Not sure if there is a high iron content in the coast hills or not.
It seems like it’s magnets on the lid, and steel on the body of the harness, the steel is rusting, if it’s indeed steel

my marsupial was/is cordura lined, and squeaked pretty bad. 2 years ago I lined it with adhesive-backed felt, and the squeak stopped.

it sounds like your NL's might benefit from the next larger size case if you don't have any issues with the smaller SLCs.

No clue what to tell you on the rust, I am an extraordinarily heavy sweat producer and I don't think there's any rust on mine, going into the 5th season.

What it seems like to me is the little bit of moisture made the fleece lose loft on the contact areas, and now it’s a fairly slick surface that squeaks on the armor of the binos… the rust is cosmetic at this point, but it happened kind of suddenly, so we’ll see if that creates wear and wears through, maybe it won’t, but the harness hasn’t seen any real moisture yet, just some dewey foggy mornings and coastal air.

As it is, there is no way I would take my NL’s out of the harness with something inside 75 yds, it’s pretty loud, the 8x30slcs I have in it now are not loud at all, which makes sense.

Again, I don’t even think it’s an issue with their design, I think it’s an issue of where I live and hunt… there are lots of great products on the market that just don’t work well on the coast.
Like you say coastal air is hard going on all metal, and masonry and on an on.

I've been thinking about making a bino harness out of a pelt for archery. Double line it so it's fur inside and out.
It would be heavier though obviously.

Slalomnorth

Lil-Rokslider
I also have the problem with squeak. I’m running el’s 10x42 with the new enclosed small harness. It’s a big problem when stalking in on animals, I’m not sure what to do about it.

I have a Kuiu harness that I got in 2012. It started to squeak a few years ago. I think the fleece has been worn and lost the softness. It’s worse in the cold.

OP
roosiebull
my marsupial was/is cordura lined, and squeaked pretty bad. 2 years ago I lined it with adhesive-backed felt, and the squeak stopped.

it sounds like your NL's might benefit from the next larger size case if you don't have any issues with the smaller SLCs.

No clue what to tell you on the rust, I am an extraordinarily heavy sweat producer and I don't think there's any rust on mine, going into the 5th season.
The next size up might work, but I have them in a medium harness with plenty of room, and going to a large would be going back to what I was trying to solve with the harness, I liked everything about my OV harness I replaced with the marsupial beside it being a high profile harness, wanted something a little more streamlined… I have been using a kuiu harness the past week or so, and it has a little squeak as well, my old kuiu harness never did, so I’m thinking the armor on the NL being stickier is part of the problem, my old kuiu harness always had 10x42slcs, and the armor was more slick.

Now I need to check the 2nd gen OV to make sure they didn’t “upgrade” their lining in their harness, I think fleece may just be a no go on these binos

I will go back to the marsupial for rifle hunting, because the squeak won’t be a big deal, and I’m curious about the rust, maybe it won’t get much worse, maybe it will… so far it’s cosmetic, if it does get problematic I will contact them just to let them know what’s happening.

I’m currently plagued by squeaky gear, haha, both of my packs have recently formed an obnoxious squeak, got my EXO quiet, but have not cracked the code on my kifaru yet, took it apart last night and it didn’t help, thought I was going back to the pop up for the rest of archery season

Wore mine all day yesterday for the first real time. Would love to see a video of what you guys think is loud. Maybe mine is a newer version but I have zero complaints and it's no more loud than any other harness I've worn. FWIW I have a medium size Bino harness for 10x50's which is what they recommended.