Martha Williams is officially the worst

bsnedeker

WKR
Anyone else catch this interview? https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/martha-williams-ufws-director-interview/

"MW: At USFWS, we always have to be grounded in the science, so the numbers are important. Yet with species like grizzly bears, we have a sense that as predators are recovering, the social piece is also really important. And that social piece—not putting the onus just on the tolerance of communities that live with bears or wolves, but also those who don’t like to see management-dependent species—they want to see species that aren’t reliant on state or federal management. So we have to factor shifting values in this country, and those shifting values are adding pressure to an already complicated issue."

So, ignore the science, ignore the people who live with these bears, we need to listen to what a bunch of wackadoo liberals in CA think about Grizzlies in WY, MT, and ID.

Pathetic this woman still claims to have a connection to Montana.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
she did oversee a drastic decline in elk on public in Montana. not saying its all her fault but i do not think she was a friend of the hunters in montana. not sure the current head of fwp is any better either...

BuzzH

WKR
she did oversee a drastic decline in elk on public in Montana. not saying its all her fault but i do not think she was a friend of the hunters in montana. not sure the current head of fwp is any better either...
Yeah, how dare the fwp director follow state law that requires elk to be shot down to objective numbers found in the elk management plan.

The legislature in Montana is 100% to blame for elk being hammered.

As much as I would like it to be a correctable mismanagement practice, it's not.

I won’t necessarily agree with the statement “anyone appointed by Biden is not our friend”. However, Wyoming Game and Fish should be allowed to manage grizzly bears. They’ve done very well managing Wolves.

• Banned
OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
but i do not think she was a friend of the hunters in montana. not sure the current head of fwp is any better either...

This statement is 100% incorrect! The current head of FWP is a great friend to hunters!

They just need to be rich, nonresident landowners, or hunters who want to pay outfitters. He loves those guys!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

RMM

WKR
Yep, it's the same old theme we've seen for years in government......from wildlife management to Covid edicts........"we are only basing decisions on science.......unless we also base them on illogical emotional responses as well".
I was just having this conversation with my father in law the other day. Its always "follow the science" until the science doesn't fit their narrative. Ex. Two genders

Anyone else catch this interview? https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/martha-williams-ufws-director-interview/

"MW: At USFWS, we always have to be grounded in the science, so the numbers are important. Yet with species like grizzly bears, we have a sense that as predators are recovering, the social piece is also really important. And that social piece—not putting the onus just on the tolerance of communities that live with bears or wolves, but also those who don’t like to see management-dependent species—they want to see species that aren’t reliant on state or federal management. So we have to factor shifting values in this country, and those shifting values are adding pressure to an already complicated issue."

So, ignore the science, ignore the people who live with these bears, we need to listen to what a bunch of wackadoo liberals in CA think about Grizzlies in WY, MT, and ID.

The part you quoted, read by itself, doesn't say jack shit or have any meaning IMO. WTF does "they want to see a species that aren't reliant on state or federal management" mean? If someone is insisting they remain listed it seems like a pretty clear cut admission that a person is saying they are dependent on federal management. Almost all species are reliant on some form of management as evidenced by us nearly wiping them all out long ago with a tiny fraction of the population and technology we have currently.

Now, after reading the article and seeing that non-committal response was to a question about how the numbers have far surpassed recovery goals and scientifically support delisting, her gibberish is a clear deflection on not confirming that griz delisting is justified.

That said, Biden had to appoint someone and being as he and the DFL are, I wouldn't wish for him to go appointing someone different than Martha.

WTF does "they want to see a species that aren't reliant on state or federal management" mean?

There is a line of thought in the anti-hunting community that nature will take care of itself and it doesn't need to be managed; we should just get out of the way and let nature takes its course. The argument starts out that way, but they have a list of conditions to go along with it:
- Nothing gets to go extinct [now we're back to management]
- Nature gets to do whatever it wants in rural communities but not in urban or suburban areas (e.g. we don't want wolves in our town, but they need to be protected no matter how many livestock they eat).

What they really mean is "hunting is unnecessary as a management tool and we want it stopped."

Moserkr

WKR
Hmmm. When you guys in MT and WY get tired of the liberals always gushing over those cute grizzly bears, let me know. Be happy to help them “migrate naturally” back to CA. Theres beautiful places all around San Fran where they used to inhabit. May help solve our homeless and van squatter hippie problems too.

Waiting for the government to fix the problems it creates is like pissing in the wind while watching paint dry.

She fits well with the WA state commission. They drink from the same cup.

Who and why said we need to start adding social perception into the North American model of management. It is supposed to be science based not emotionally based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk