MASKS, everywhere MASKS

My wife and I have basically been staying home. I went in to work this past Monday and Tuesday, and picked up a couple items from the barren shelves of our neighborhood store both Monday and Tuesday night. I haven't been out and about since, other than walks with my wife through our neighborhood. I figured all the panic shopping would be over by now, along with restrictions on how much can be purchased, that the stores would be about back to normal. Well, Costco shelves looked very good with them having almost everything. But still no toilet paper, cleaning supplies, alcohol...

What really surprised me was the percentage of people wearing masks. Depending on where I was, Costco or CVS, between 90 to as low as 60% respectively, or people were wearing masks. Frankly I was shocked. I mean our local hospital staff are stuck reusing masks and other safety equipment. FYI those M95 masks that are 95% effective include that rating, ONLY when changed every 30 minutes. I could not help but to think how selfish all these people are being. I mean, who do they think will be there to save them when they catch C19 with our medical staff short changed on safety equipment. The odds are that our medical staff will be in the hospital. Unfortunately as patients. Based on what I saw today, there are plenty of masks for our medical personnel, unfortunately they are in the hands of a greedy me first public.

When I got home, I tore through my garage and managed to find two boxes of masks. I drove to my local Providence hospital and donated them. Tomorrow, I will continue to search for more, as I am positive I have more in storage boxes. I'll be making another trip to hospital tomorrow. Fortunately, I do not foresee me staying long.

What?? They are now saying the masks to help as you are more likely to get it from breathing it in rather than touching a contaminated surface. Ya can’t blame people that were prepped for having masks ahead of time but it does suck for medical workers that they are running out. In NY, scumbag Cuomo is sending a million to NYC and 500k to Long Island. Upstate NY gets nothing. He is such a pos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Of course I can blame those that have them., just like you blame Como for hording them. Those masks need to be where they are most useful, with our medical providers. Seriously, what is the public going to do when 1/2 or more of our medical workers are hospitalized or quarantined from this?

We the public can easily do without the masks. We can easily self isolate. We can easily make masks on our own. We can easily keep a good distance between us an others when we do need to go out, which is not often.

It is like those selfish springbreakers. They are not worried f ok r themselves. But hopefully they will feel differently when their family members are infected by them. Some will have passed a death sentence on to family.

My point here is that we as a society need to leave the selfishness behind. Unless of course one is only concerned with themselves. Our medical system can only be effective in this if they are kept healthy.

Rich M

WKR
What if the masks are working and keeping folks from getting sick? They are standing next to Joe Virus and those suspended micro-water droplets with the virus on em are getting caught in the masks and not infecting the folks wearing them? Doesn't that help the people at the hospitals?

We all know folks who would die if they got the virus - is it okay for them to protect themselves a little more?

And yes - it can be inhaled and caught that way. Tough to decide what to believed in the day and age of socialized media - figure most of what you read is trash. Gotta research it ourselves if we want something credible.

The spring breakers could care less about the virus and the folks with the masks are trying to stem the spread of the virus. There is no similarity.

Last week they passed the ruling that the hospital workers can wear construction masks instead of medical only masks - it was all about liability issues. The shortage should go away real soon since they make like 35 million per day and should have a supply of construction masks in stock.

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is an ICU nurse and you are right the hospitals are issuing their staff one mask because they don’t have enough. So like you said these N95 mask are rated for 95% if they are in perfect working order. CDC knows that everyone is very short on supplies so they are telling these nurses that can wear a bandanna over their faces if they run out of mask but in the same breath they want everyone to know that the hospital staffs saftey is their biggest concern. The real issue will come when these nurses and doctors are all sick with the virus and and locked down.

WKR
Have never bought masks for any reason. Not seeing hardly anyone wearing them here. I don't think everyone is going to get sick from this. Guess we'll see soon enough. More worried about the normal flu and truthfully, not worried about that.