MASSDROP X DAN DURSTON X-MID 1P TENT

Anyone have any experience with this tent? I just preordered one on drop for my late October Montana rifle hunt. I just want to make sure this should be sufficient for this 7 day hunt before I can not cancel the order. My second choice was the kuiu one person tent but this looked very similar and actually had just as good if not better reviews. For $200 I'm not sure I could've done better. I also was looking at a true 4 season tent with the sierra designs convert 2. It was 3-4lbs heavier depending on vestibule or not. I should add that I will hang a sitka tarp above this at night even though it should handle the rain. I probably have a week or so to cancel but feel confident although I've never used a trekking pole design tent before (I'm from upstate NY).

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

i'm in the same position as you - just pulled the trigger on one earlier this week for a Sept Idaho hunt. Spent at least 6 hours researching and found this to be the best option for the money. My only complaint is the wait, and 90% sure it is made in Vietnam (better than China I suppose). There were 5 or so others I was looking at, including the Stone Glacier, but budget was super important.

OP
TonySkyline
Yes the price is definitely right and this is allowing me to spend more $ on a quality sleeping bag and pad.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased one about six months ago for use when I don’t take a tarp and bivy.
Sets up quickly, stable, with high attention to detail. Overall a very well thought out design and a very good bang for the dollar. FYI: they are making a 2P version as well.
When I bought mine they were offering a special price: $160 with free shipping and no tax so it was a no brainer. :)

OP
TonySkyline
Yeah I seen they had a closeout at that price for the end of the run. I was going to get the 2 person but figured I'm bringing the sitka flash with me anyways so why not save the weight as I can use underneath the shelter as a vestibule if needed. I don't want to take down every day unless I'm moving camp so is their any carbon or titanium tent poles that will fit this that doesn't cost what I paid for the tent?

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I seen they had a closeout at that price for the end of the run. I was going to get the 2 person but figured I'm bringing the sitka flash with me anyways so why not save the weight as I can use underneath the shelter as a vestibule if needed. I don't want to take down every day unless I'm moving camp so is their any carbon or titanium tent poles that will fit this that doesn't cost what I paid for the tent?

These might work.

They also have an aluminum version for 15 bucks

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

OP
TonySkyline
These might work.

They also have an aluminum version for 15 bucks

I'm gonna check on the heights to make sure but I'm definitely ordering a set. That is a deal right there. Jesus,the other ones I seen were $150! Lol. Not spending that if the tent was only $200, kinda defeats the purpose of saving money to spend on other equipment

Sammymusi

WKR
I ordered one as well ! I tried to find as many reviews as I could , few you tube videos made me think its legit. Is the run finally over? I'm hoping to have it sooner than the end of july

OP
TonySkyline
Its still posted. I just ordered 1 carbon pole but might go slightly higher on the other. The designer of the tent reccomends a footprint only under the main tent portion not under the vestibules and I found plenty of cheap tyvek small pieces online and ordered one.

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased one about six months ago for use when I don’t take a tarp and bivy.
Sets up quickly, stable, with high attention to detail. Overall a very well thought out design and a very good bang for the dollar. FYI: they are making a 2P version as well.
When I bought mine they were offering a special price: $160 with free shipping and no tax so it was a no brainer. :)
That was a great deal. I intended to pick one up at the price but missed the deadline. I've been keeping my fingers crossed that they will have them for 160 again soon

I ordered the 2P, since I like to unpack everything inside my tent. I exchanged a bunch of emails with Dan. No on the trail failures of either version due to severe weather, and a bunch of miles on through hikes.
You can build your own collapsible poles real cheap and cut to length. I would go 10 mm. Buy pole segments and parts at Quest Outfitters, less than $30 for a pole with four segments, shock cord, and end caps.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered one as well ! I tried to find as many reviews as I could , few you tube videos made me think its legit.

The Durston X-Mid is a very good shelter regardless of price point. Dan Durston has been a well respected member of the Backpacking Light community for many years and took what he felt were strengths and weaknesses of other shelters into account when designing his.
For those who have ordered one.....you won't be dissappointed.

I have an email correspondence with Dan that goes over his reasoning on choosing the fabric on the X-Mid if any are interested.

OP
TonySkyline
Hell yeah. I am feeling like I made a great choice now. It is one thing to see good reviews online from some "hiking websites" but to see it on here means a hell of a lot more to me.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
If you follow gear swap on backpackinglight they come up for sale pretty frequently.