Massive Eastern Colorado buck.

joelbiltz

WKR
Here is my DIY Eastern Colorado Private land massive buck I killed on Halloween. Oct 30th I woke up at 2AM to drive 15 straight hours by myself from Indiana to Eastern Colorado. I arrived in Eastern Colorado at 3:30 and after a hour and a half visit with family I was out the door for a quick hunt/scout. I was unable to locate any deer that first evening. Next morning I was up early high on anticipation of what the day would hold. Having access to approximately 50,000 acres I had a lot of ground to cover. So I got my map out and started covering as much country as possible. After about a hour I came across this buck tending a doe. I continued to watch the buck and quickly learned that the property he was on was property I did not have permission to hunt on. After a few quick phone calls permission was granted and the waiting game began. I watched this big buck tend does, lip curl, and run four other smaller bucks off. After about a hour or so the does finally began to bed down and soon he did as well in a big CRP Field. I figured out the wind was steadily from the south so I drove around to the north of the deer and parked. There was a perfect berm that hid my mile and a half stalk. I kept peeking over the berm and glassed to try to locate the deer. Finally I found the ears of a big ol doe and knew I was close. Then behind her was one of the smaller bucks. Then all the does stood up and started feeding again. Then he stood up. I actually passed him up by 30 or so yards. He fed over to the does and with one well placed high shoulder shot from my Proof Research Glacier/TI in 6.5 PRC and a 140 VLD at 150 yards he went straight down. I can’t wait until I can draw the tag again!!! 338F9605-2125-4E19-B1B1-C7F27A7A3F66.jpeg500EB7EC-7F7F-4323-9BD4-CE49C1347180.jpeg4BE5C4DE-492E-4E32-8F17-9A094F8CDA1C.jpeg338F9605-2125-4E19-B1B1-C7F27A7A3F66.jpeg500EB7EC-7F7F-4323-9BD4-CE49C1347180.jpeg4BE5C4DE-492E-4E32-8F17-9A094F8CDA1C.jpeg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing him with Rokslide Joel! Good buck for sure. And I was thinking as I read your story that when it comes to private, it never fails they’re on the neighbors place!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing him with Rokslide Joel! Good buck for sure. And I was thinking as I read your story that when it comes to private, it never fails they’re on the neighbors place!!!!

I got a chuckle out of that part. 50k acres to hunt and he is on the neighbors.

Cool buck.

OP
joelbiltz

joelbiltz

WKR

Agreed. Thankfully it’s a tight nit community where they all know each other and help each other out. I’m sure I could have found a good buck on the 50,000 acres I had access to but damn I fell in love with this buck. He don’t score high but he did hit that magical 40 inches of mass which is damn impressive in my book.

wytx

WKR
Great buck, love those Eastern Colorado light colored antlers!
Would be interested to know his age .