Matching the right Nightforce to my Tikka

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted a factory Tikka T3x in 7mm Rem Mag with a Leupold VX3 CDS in 4.5-14 for the last 5 years and finally burned the barrel out. I was confident on game out to 500 yards in good conditions and took animals around that range every year. I'm in the process of rebarreling the rifle and dropping it in a new stock, so after that's complete I'm hoping to get a true 3/4 moa setup (that means I'll shoot one 3 shot group that goes 0.3 MOA to post on Instagram), I'm thinking this setup should add the confidence I need to move my limit from 500 to 600 or 700 yards and maybe out to 800 eventually. The Leupold was a great match for a factory rifle, but I'm thinking it will be my new weak link. I'm good with the extra weight for a Nightforce, but I'm having trouble deciding which one is a good match for this rifle and my hunting style/shooting skills.

I don't want a first focal plane so that rules out the NX8 for now, the ATACR seems overkill for this combo, I'm good with spending $2k on scope so I think the NXS is the right choice, but I can't decide 3.5-15 or 5.5-22. I like the 3.5 field of view for situations where I'm in the timber and need to make a quick shot, each year I've taken something under 100 yards, but I don't want to be short on power if the goal is extending my range. I don't plan to elk hunt with this rifle, so what is the optimal power if I want a scope for deer out to 800 yards? I'm trying to remember what my sight picture looked like at 500 yards at 14x, but I don't feel like I was stretching it's limits by any means.

I'm also wondering if people find the exposed windage turret gets turned when carrying a rifle on a sling, it doesn't look like you can run a zerostop on the windage so I'm nervous about that turret getting spun when carrying the rifle over the shoulder. I prefer holding for wind and wish it were capped, but until I can find a way to blend a couple different models all together I'll have to compromise in some areas.

I just came to say don’t completely write off the SHV line. Obviously your budget allows you to go higher but the SHV I have doesn’t leave me wanting in the least.

I think if I were in your position I’d be looking at the NXS 2.5-10. That or the 3.5-15 tick a hell of a lot of boxes. The 2.5-10 is only 20oz!

Im a giant fan of the SHV. Mine is an F1 4-14... it works flawlessly with constant dialing several times a month. Capped windage. Good turrets. I like the reticle. No complaints. And their much less expensive than the other NF lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
I have the 5-20x56mm NF SHV and so far I have been very happy with it. I have only had it for a short time, however. I like the higher magnification for target shooting practice, and it’s there if I need/want it during a hunting situation. I have the MOAR reticle on mine and have been happy with it

I'd put the 2.5x10x42 NXS on it and slap it in the SportsMatch rings, whenever they're shipping to the US again. You can tape the windage knob if you want, it's as simple as a wrap or two of electric tape. I haven't had an issue with mine moving, even when thrashing around in the jungle.

OP
B

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of distance are people shooting deer size targets at with the 10x scopes? I remember stepping up from my old Leupold 3-9x VX2 to the 4.5-14x and thinking the added magnification was nice even on a 400 yard shot. Is the push for that to make a lighter rifle or just to save money?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What kind of distance are people shooting deer size targets at with the 10x scopes? I remember stepping up from my old Leupold 3-9x VX2 to the 4.5-14x and thinking the added magnification was nice even on a 400 yard shot. Is the push for that to make a lighter rifle or just to save money?

Zero issues with 10x at 700-800 yards on deer. As in no problem. Have done it farther. Then again, shoot 12” targets regularly past 1200 with 6 and 8x magnification.

If I were going SFP, personally with that rifle I would want not more than 10x. But I wouldn’t use SFP.

HuntnPack

WKR
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.
Great little 20 oz.scope.
Low mounting to stock.
Good FOV, & eye relief.
Tracks perfectly, RTZ, very STOUT build.
Nice positive click adjustment
Zero stop. Good glass,
Moar reticle is nice,
Illumination, adjustable brightness.
Durability, Repeatability, Reliability !!!

Sled

WKR
I'm also wondering if people find the exposed windage turret gets turned when carrying a rifle on a sling, it doesn't look like you can run a zerostop on the windage so I'm nervous about that turret getting spun when carrying the rifle over the shoulder. I prefer holding for wind and wish it were capped, but until I can find a way to blend a couple different models all together I'll have to compromise in some areas.

try a scope with turret locks or capped windage. i found when i carried my rifles with a sling attached to a bipod i'd see turret slip on windage quite often. without the bipod it was a rare occurrence.

try a scope with turret locks or capped windage. i found when i carried my rifles with a sling attached to a bipod i'd see turret slip on windage quite often. without the bipod it was a rare occurrence.
I always tape my windage dial and often the elevation too, it only takes a second to peel it off, and it can be reused

OP
B

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
For everyone that's using the 2.5-10 what would you consider the limitations or a distance you wish you had more power? I remember when my dad took his first antelope we forgot to turn up the scope in all the excitement and realized he made a perfect shot at 300 yards on 3x, afterwards I thought that might of been a good thing because his wiggles weren't magnified so he broke a cleaner shot.

For everyone that's using the 2.5-10 what would you consider the limitations or a distance you wish you had more power? I remember when my dad took his first antelope we forgot to turn up the scope in all the excitement and realized he made a perfect shot at 300 yards on 3x, afterwards I thought that might of been a good thing because his wiggles weren't magnified so he broke a cleaner shot.

Ive had zero issues with my 10x out to 1k, and honestly if I had the room it wouldn’t have been an issue to push out further. I think any average hunting shot(600-700 and in) isn’t out of range for a 10x scope.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I don’t really shoot too far when I’m hunting and in my normal practice I never shoot much past 500 but eventually I’ll start to do so. For me though, I don’t have “range” guns, all my rifles are hunting rifles and I load Ammo suitable for hunting for them. That being said, I have very little if any interest in having a big massive 24x scope on any of my rifles.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.
Great little 20 oz.scope.
Low mounting to stock.
Good FOV, & eye relief.
Tracks perfectly, RTZ, very STOUT build.
Nice positive click adjustment
Zero stop. Good glass,
Moar reticle is nice,
Illumination, adjustable brightness.
Durability, Repeatability, Reliability !!!

I agree 100%, I honestly feel like that 2.5-10 nxs is pretty much perfect, it’s not terribly heavy, nice and compact, I can even put it on a sub 5lb Kimber without it taking over the rifle, the glass is good, dials perfectly and it’s durable. I like MILs though more than MOA so I got the MILr version.

OP
B

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
Guess its time I do a little more research into the compact, I hadn't really thought that would be the route to go, but it will balance the gun out better than a scope weighing 10 ounces more