Material on kenai ultra and super down.

Lowg08

WKR
Can any tell me if the shell material on the Kuiu super down is the same as on the kenai ultra. Our late season is archery antlered only and I want a heavier puffy with a quiet shell like the kenai. My brooks down is great for rifle but not bow

Last edited:

hflier

WKR
It is not. Nowhere near as quiet as the Kenai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Thanks. I was worried it wasn’t. Seems like a decently quiet heavy puffy is non existent

I shoot a stickbow and like critters at ten yards. The Kenai is SILENT. Last year I bought a large hooded Kenai and put it over my medium non-hooded Kenai which fits like a sweater. Love that jacket.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I shoot a stickbow and like critters at ten yards. The Kenai is SILENT. Last year I bought a large hooded Kenai and put it over my medium non-hooded Kenai which fits like a sweater. Love that jacket.
I bet with the right mid layers and heavier bases that would work great. I’ve never looked to see if they make a xxxl

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I wear that until the Fanatic comes out!
I only back pack hunt and most of the time I’m at 3+ miles back in the mountains so the fanatic and stratus are out. I have to play the layer game with packable items

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
So you are doing a double kenai? Interesting idea. i love mine but never considered that as an option. What temps can you get down to comfortably with minimal activity, like sitting in a treestand?

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I am considering wearing the kenai with a quiet wind stopper vest like the jetstream to push the kenai ultra into colder conditions but keep the quiet.
If you could deal with the weight and packability, the Sitka Traverse Cold Weather hoody is really warm for what it is and very quiet.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I am considering wearing the kenai with a quiet wind stopper vest like the jetstream to push the kenai ultra into colder conditions but keep the quiet.
If you could deal with the weight and packability, the Sitka Traverse Cold Weather hoody is really warm for what it is and very quiet.
I already behave the jetstream to wear with the ultra. I have looked at the traverse but I haven’t really researched it in fit and warmth. How warm is it and could it be worn over the kenai

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
The traverse fits a little loose IME. I wear XL in all Sitka tops and its a bit loose in the trunk. The jet stream is slightly lighter but 100% windproof. The Traverse is warmer IMO. I commonly wear the traverse as my outer layer ice fishing and all kinds of other winter stuff. It's outer weave is tough probably the same as jet stream, but the inner is a really highly lofted berber that is super warm. I would say the Traverse without wind stopper is still 99% windproof with any normal layering. If you have the jet stream though seems like if they fit well with each other that would have a similar function.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
My other thought has been to wear a down vest over/under the kenai thinking that won't be as loud as a down jacket. If you are thinking about drawing a bow say over a wallow or something when you want to stay warm and be stealthy. I haven't tried it out yet though.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I must correct myself I have a jetstream vest that is windproof so I could possibly wear it over the kenai and and then the traverse over that. The have a brooks down also

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the brooks also...the traverse is warmer IMO, but obviously at a big weight and packability penalty. Traverse could layer over the kenai.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I have had the brooks also...the traverse is warmer IMO, but obviously at a big weight and packability penalty. Traverse could layer over the kenai.
I actually caught the Sitka traverse cold weather hoodie on sale and it will be perfect. I went with the xxl and it fits over the jetstream vest, kenai ultra, heavyweight zip t and a base layers. I will still keep my brooks for rifle season when I don’t want to pay the weight penalty.

Attachments

• 7EDE4148-3199-4CEF-B20A-18827E98AD51.jpeg
    7EDE4148-3199-4CEF-B20A-18827E98AD51.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 24

FredBear86

Lil-Rokslider
What size are you for comparison? I'm looking at doing the same thing. Thanks

JasonP

FNG
I actually caught the Sitka traverse cold weather hoodie on sale and it will be perfect. I went with the xxl and it fits over the jetstream vest, kenai ultra, heavyweight zip t and a base layers. I will still keep my brooks for rifle season when I don’t want to pay the weight penalty.
Just curious, how tall are you? I'm 6'5" 49inch chest and wide shoulders. I'm constantly having sizing issues and finding comfortable outer gear large enough to layer with.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Just curious, how tall are you? I'm 6'5" 49inch chest and wide shoulders. I'm constantly having sizing issues and finding comfortable outer gear large enough to layer with.
I feel your pain. I’m not 6’5” I’m 6’2” but my wingspan is 6’4”. I’m barrel chested 225#. I always just size up on my normal size and find the companies with a tall option.

Nothing quieter than the Kenai.

I use an XL Kenai vest (fits snug) under a XXL Kenai Jacket. Super warm and quiet. Kuiu runs super small so plan accordingly.