Mathews 2021 V3 Review

The oem strings start moving pretty quickly. I got somewhere around 500 shoots out of them on my VXR @ 75# before creep set in. Peep twisting and timing became an issue.

My 60# TRX 36 with the zebra trophy strings went probably 5k shots, likely could have kept going. No signs of creep just starting to look rough and didn't want to be changing them later when I might not have the time to mess with it.

GNUOY

FNG
I had about 200 shots before mine started moving. I mean not that big of a deal. Throw it in my press and get it realigned.

There's absolutely zero reason to shoot something you need to press every 200 shots. Don't matter if you own a press or not. And generally once they are settled in from the first few shots, if they start moving they don't stop.

Billy Goat What are your recommendations?

For a string?

Anything made from Bcy 452x by a reputable builder. Might be better materials out there now than the BCY 452X but it has worked very well for me and I haven't needed to try anything else. I have a local guy who builds my strings for me. I don't think there's anything real majical to it, just good materials and process.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never owned a Mathews. I typically shoot a bow for many years so after 12 seasons with my Bowtech Sentinel it was time to try some new bows out.
I shot 2 Bowtechs, a Prime and the new V3 Mathews in both lengths

My archery shop suggested I shoot the new Mathews. I’ve never liked a thick grip and that was always my beef about a Mathews. I agreed to shoot them after holding the V31 and was pleasantly surprised how good it felt.

I was shocked at how smooth, quiet, easy aiming and fast it was! I wanted to buy another Bowtech. But I had to admit that the V31 was all around better bow compared to all that I shot. I shoot 27” draw at 65# with a 530 grain, 28” Kinetic. The V31 was actually 64# and was faster than everyone else by 5-10fps.

Les you are spot on with your review! My new Mathews should be in my hands by the end of March. Can’t wait!!!
Awesome! Keep us posted what you think on this thread once you get yours rocking and rolling!!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have always shot a longer bow. So I was surprised how that 31 shot. With that long riser and larger cams. This bow does not feel or shoot like a typical short axel bow. In my opinion I think people will be surprised if they try it.
Yes! You nailed it. This definitely shoots longer!

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
Billy, That’s good info. I shoot a lot. Several thousands of shots per year. I replace strings after every season. I have always just used OEM strings. I’ll keep a close eye on my new V31 and report back how the factory strings are working for me. Thanks for the tip!

I bought my V3-27 in December and have shot the heck out of it. I just noticed yesterday Peep Creep. Going to get adjustments this weekend....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely shooter preference. Yes I notice the difference. Each year I think I won’t. Each year I’m proven wrong. It’s an individual balance for sure on whether or not one should upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
How did you like the draw ?? Subjective i know but I've seen some reviews were they thought it was harsh at 30" draw . I'm looking at the V3 31 and the revolt x for later this year and cant touch either right now in my draw@ 70 lbs .

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
My 12 yr old Bowtech is smooth as butter. And the performance reflected that. The V3 31 at 64# and 27” draw felt very smooth as well. Compared to the Bowtech Solution SS in the smooth mods. The V3 31 and Solution felt the same to me. Both very comfortable. It may be different for longer draw archers?

I have shot Mathews bows for 20 years. I sold my Heli-m after the 2020 season and told myself that I was going to buy something different. Yesterday I shot the V3 31, the Elite Enkore, and the Prime Nexus 2. I liked all of them. The Elite had a great draw and held well, but there was noticeable hand shock. The Prime was very nice, except for it wanted to fall towards me after the shot. The V3 was the best bow I have ever shot in my life. Everything seemed effortless. I really tried to get away from Mathews, but the V3 31 just fit me. Now I have to wait 15 weeks before mine comes in!

Interesting...I was in the shop this past weekend to put new strings on my VXR28 and couple of relevant things here. Regarding the strings, I have the original Zebra on my VXR (bought new mid August 2020), I’ve had zero creep after the initial settling in, I have by official count 15,210 shots on the strings and only decided to get new strings to tune up the bow and have it checked out for some noises from the bow. Turns out I wore out the cam bearings (covered under warranty). During my visit I took the opportuning to shoot the V3 in 27 and 31. Both were great, super smooth, shock free, and I’m now planning on buying a V3 31 for a combo hunting (out west) and 3D bow. I couldn’t shoot them back to back with my VXR but plan to when I go pick up the bow after the cam replacement and string install.

tr_okla

FNG
How did you like the draw ?? Subjective i know but I've seen some reviews were they thought it was harsh at 30" draw . I'm looking at the V3 31 and the revolt x for later this year and cant touch either right now in my draw@ 70 lbs .
I switched from a Hoyt and there’s definitely a difference, the Hoyt was super smooth and the V3 has a noticeable hump at the end. Takes some getting used to.