Mathews Atlas holding low and loud

831hunter

FNG
Hello

I bought a Mathews Atlas a few months go and have been trying to get it dialed in and had a few questions. First the bow alway want to hold low and Im always feeling like I need to pull the pins up to get on target. Will a backbar fix this? Also compared to friends bows this bow is very loud. Ive read reviews and people say how quiet the atlas is and I just not seeing it. Ive tightened everything down and no change on how loud it is. Setup is 33" Draw 70 lbs 8" bee stinger hex front stabilizer. 480 RIP XV grain arrows in 250 spine. I did shoot 600 grain arrows and it was still loud. Thx in advance for any input

Do your friends shoot 33"?

That's a lot of powerstroke, gonna have more noise, and energy.

8" front isn't a lot, how much weight on it?
Sounds more like target panic unfortunately.
Bee stinger uses 5/15 thread for their weights. You can pull the weight stack off the front rod, put it on the back bar bushing. See if it changes the hold.

Hello

I bought a Mathews Atlas a few months go and have been trying to get it dialed in and had a few questions. First the bow alway want to hold low and Im always feeling like I need to pull the pins up to get on target. Will a backbar fix this? Also compared to friends bows this bow is very loud. Ive read reviews and people say how quiet the atlas is and I just not seeing it. Ive tightened everything down and no change on how loud it is. Setup is 33" Draw 70 lbs 8" bee stinger hex front stabilizer. 480 RIP XV grain arrows in 250 spine. I did shoot 600 grain arrows and it was still loud. Thx in advance for any input
The holding low part isn’t the bow. Very likely that you’re dealing with a form of target panic. Many have it and don’t know it. One of the toughest things to deal with in archery. Makes some quit altogether and takes try fun out of it for those that don’t give up. You can’t shoot through it and get better. It takes retraining your mind, primarily, which trickles into the physical part too of shooting.
As for being loud, can be one or more of many different issues. Hard to know without knowing the full setup.

Good luck with getting through this, you can. Just be patient in getting through it. It’s not an overnight thing.

MattB

WKR

Bee stinger uses 5/15 thread for their weights. You can pull the weight stack off the front rod, put it on the back bar bushing. See if it changes the hold.
That was my intial thought unless the OP is just explaining the situation obtusely.

OP

831hunter

FNG

Thanks I was unaware of draw length having an effect on noise and no my friends do not have the wingspan that I have. The atlas is build for long draws like me and has been touted as a quiet bow so I figure something is
Up. I have 2 oz of weight on the stabalizer. I just took 1 oz off to see if that helped which it did not. Attached are a couple pics of my shoot today the first is my 50 yd. Group the second is 35. I’ve read up on target panic and don’t feel I’ve experienced it. I have a pse vendetta xl that holds on target well for me

OP

831hunter

FNG
Thanks I was unaware of draw length having an effect on noise and no my friends do not have the wingspan that I have. The atlas is build for long draws like me and has been touted as a quiet bow so I figure something is
Up. I have 2 oz of weight on the stabalizer. I just took 1 oz off to see if that helped which it did not. Attached are a couple pics of my shoot today the first is my 50 yd. Group the second is 35. I’ve read up on target panic and don’t feel I’ve experienced it. I have a pse vendetta xl that holds on target well for me

Attachments

• IMG_7722.jpeg
    IMG_7722.jpeg
    514.4 KB · Views: 15
OP

831hunter

FNG

Attachments

• 71287464082__4BCF388B-F4D2-4BBD-924E-4D9D0490B2DB.jpeg
    71287464082__4BCF388B-F4D2-4BBD-924E-4D9D0490B2DB.jpeg
    809.2 KB · Views: 16
Holding low is something that a shooter does. Bow is just going where it's pointed.

Adding bars to try to fix it is just a bandaid that's not going to fix the problem, more than likely compound it. Bars are to stabilize a bow at the shot, not make it go somewhere.

When you are coming onto the target, where are your pins usually? Do you start high and come down? Come from the left or right, or is the pin starting below the target? This is right as you are finding your anchor, you are looking at your target, where is the pin?
Are you hunting to find the pin?
How similar is the sight to what you were shooting previously?

OP

831hunter

FNG
Holding low is something that a shooter does. Bow is just going where it's pointed.

Adding bars to try to fix it is just a bandaid that's not going to fix the problem, more than likely compound it. Bars are to stabilize a bow at the shot, not make it go somewhere.

When you are coming onto the target, where are your pins usually? Do you start high and come down? Come from the left or right, or is the pin starting below the target? This is right as you are finding your anchor, you are looking at your target, where is the pin?
Are you hunting to find the pin?
How similar is the sight to what you were shooting previously?
The pin is always below the target. I feel like I'm pulling up on the bow to get the pins on target. Could draw length play into this? Ive been told Mathews run long by 1/2 an inch. my last bow was lighter but am shooting the same sight setup.

The pin is always below the target. I feel like I'm pulling up on the bow to get the pins on target. Could draw length play into this? Ive been told Mathews run long by 1/2 an inch. my last bow was lighter but am shooting the same sight setup.

Shoulder position, if your holding shoulder comes up it pushes your arm down.

Which way is your elbow pointed at full draw?
Is your arm locked?

Yes, Mathews run 3/8-5/8" long.

MattB

WKR
Hello Matt
What about my question sounded obtuse?
Bows don’t hold low on their own. They can be top-heavy and benefit from playing with different weight distributions for better balance, but that won’t make it hold higher - just balance better.

OP

831hunter

FNG
Shoulder position, if your holding shoulder comes up it pushes your arm down.

Which way is your elbow pointed at full draw?
Is your arm locked?

Yes, Mathews run 3/8-5/8" long.
Part of my form checklist is shoulder dropped. I ended up putting a 12” front stab with 2 oz and an 8” back bar with 5 oz and it balances perfectly now. Before with my loose grip to not torque bow it had a significant lean forward so to bring the pins up and not grip the bow harder I would have to pull the bow up. So as a matter of fact the bow did hold low (without gripping bow harder than I should) on its own due to the forward lean. Does this make sense to you MattB. Also the noise I was hearing was a combo between my engage limb legs and my quiver housing glue popped off the carbon rods. Thanks for the input hopefully this helps someone down the line.