MATHEWS CAM BEARING ISSUES

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Don't care that I have to change string/cable right away on the Mathews cuz Zebras suck. But I do care that there using junk Chinese bearings in their cams there not lasting and they know this and just keep replacing them. My VXR was my 1st Mathews and I have a V3 on its way. It has a low shot count on it, took cams out today to move top hats during inspection the bottom 2 bearings on bottom cam are toast. Googled it to c I'm not the only one its a known problem. U can't replace them yourself as they are pressed into the cam. Read they replace the whole cam. Just info for the archery community that I was unaware of, peace.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
They’ve been using the same bearings for years. All of a sudden

They’ve been using the same bearings for years. All of a sudden they’re a “problem”.
No it's been goin on for a while, Google it, that's what I did after finding 2 of mine shot in a year. W China on the bearing seal lmao, probably cost them 2cents a bearing. Most guys will never know there bad if you don't have your own press.

D S 319

WKR
They went bad on my VXR as well.. QA has been trash. Build em cheap, quickly and get them sold! Thankfully local bow shop was able to switch cams out for me off a V3.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Over tighten the axles on them and it binds the bearings.

It would be nice if these companies would post torque specs on everything so you don't need to just look it up by fastener size.
Don't c how u could bind them. The top has is exact sz of inner race on bearings. How could u crush that sz inner race w that sz hex screw? Think they make that idiot proof for all the bow shops that dk what there doing.

It's a pretty common problem because people tighten the piss out of the axle bolts.

Mathews says to just snug, not over tighten. I believe it's only 12-14 inch pounds for the fastener.

Broadwater did a video at one point showing how the cams bind.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
They went bad on my VXR as well.. QA has been trash. Build em cheap, quickly and get them sold! Thankfully local bow shop was able to switch cams out for me off a V3.
My one is tight so it just spins on the axle instead of working as it should. And the other one is worst balls feel like they have flat spots its rough. If u just spin the cam w axle in it actually stops where it shouldn't b cuz it hits the bad spot in bearing along w other one being tight.

Don't c how u could bind them. The top has is exact sz of inner race on bearings. How could u crush that sz inner race w that sz hex screw? Think they make that idiot proof for all the bow shops that dk what there doing.

The inner race will get pinched in, puts side forces on the ball bearing that binds on the side walls off the inner and outer race. The ball bearings make the fit from eating out the races, when you loosen the axle back up they are no longer tight. If that makes sense.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
The inner race will get pinched in, puts side forces on the ball bearing that binds on the side walls off the inner and outer race. The ball bearings make the fit from eating out the races, when you loosen the axle back up they are no longer tight. If that makes sense.
Side walls of inner outter race? U mean the seals?

OR Archer

WKR
No it's been goin on for a while, Google it, that's what I did after finding 2 of mine shot in a year. W China on the bearing seal lmao, probably cost them 2cents a bearing. Most guys will never know there bad if you don't have your own press.
I’ve had my hands on more Mathews than probably everyone in here combined so I’m pretty confident I can say it’s not the bearings being bad as it is user error. As Billy Goat has mentioned over tightening of the axle screws will damage the bearings. And it doesn’t take much over tightening either. Won’t matter where they’re made if you do that it will ruin them.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had my hands on more Mathews than probably everyone in here combined so I’m pretty confident I can say it’s not the bearings being bad as it is user error. As Billy Goat has mentioned over tightening of the axle screws will damage the bearings. And it doesn’t take much over tightening
1st time putting my hands on this one, guess it was the 2 authorized idiots I took it too. So now that I'm workin on it maybe I won't have that problem.

Try searching for bad hoyt cam bearings. I'm pretty certain someone aftermarket was making replacements.

Bearings will go bad, there's also higher failure rate from the Mathew's because of the issue of over torquing the axle bolts. I guess they should have just used the same design as everyone else with c-clips, they were just doing something that allowed you to take up the extra space that comes about from the limb tolerance. Limbs aren't usually as perfect as you want to think in dimensions, some are thicker, some are thinner. I use to sand a fair amount on shims for Elite to get them stacked correctly.

D S 319

WKR
Just had to replace my top cam. Both cams are new now. Not really sure what or why they went bad.. no hiccups getting them fixed thanks to scheels.

Brizzle

FNG
The shooter has a lot to do with it sometimes, torquing while drawing puts a very large load on the bearings. I usually see this as an issue with people pulling too much weight or griping the bow unevenly when drawing. I’m sure we’ve all heard about someone’s bow who somehow derailed when they were drawing it, now that might be an extreme case, but same issue.

Gumbo

WKR
It didn't seem to be much of a surprise to my shop that my V3's lower cam bearings went, although I definitely could have over-tightened, I wouldn't say I ever really cranked hard on them.

And then sometimes you just get a lemon...

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
you can get replacement ceramic bearings for the cams. I know many whom have replaced them as they go tired of the bearings failing. See if I can dig up the information on changing them out.

gelton

WKR
Bringing this back to the top as I noticed a clicking sound from the top cam area while drawing my bow today. Mathews V3.

After doing a bit of research thought it might be the limb pockets needed a lube so disassembled the bow, threw some lithium grease in the limb pockets and the clicking sound didn't go away.

So then I pulled the axles again to inspect the bearings and while not seized they are definitely grinding a bit and not nearly as free as the bearings on the bottom cam.

Reassembled again and now the sound is gone but there is no doubt that the bearings on the top cam are on their way to failing.

With only 8 days before I head out for my elk hunt should I rely on the local shop, call Mathews, or try to replace them on my own?

According to this video, you can replace them with higher quality bearings which I have already ordered as a just in case.