Mathews Halon 5 (73#) + Louisiana Whitetail = ideal ??? grain arrow

LK1037

FNG
Harder hitting (heavier) or faster?

It's time to buy/build more arrows, so I'm re-evaluating my system.
Current setup: Black Eagle Spartan 250, 27.75", 30gr insert, 125gr broadhead = 509 gr
Admittedly, that's a lot of punch for the average southern whitetail.

Should I cut weight to maximize the Halon 5's speed or continue to lob MOABs -- mostly, because I can?

KyleR1985

WKR
I don’t really think the odds are in my favor shooting at eastern whitetails past 30 yards, especially the jumpy crackhead types in south Louisiana public land. Given that, any bow shooting over 260fps really will get the job done. The reasoning for me is I can set a single pin somewhere between 25-28 yards, and from 0-30 yards, I’ll be +-2” or so from point of aim. Given all of that, I go with the heaviest arrow that meets my minimum speed requirement, and doesn’t require engineers to develop. Something in the 550-600gr range usually makes most sense. No downside to a heavier arrow for whitetails here.

OP
L

LK1037

FNG
LOL -- 30 yds, jittery-crackhead deer, public land... yep, we're hunting the same place(s).
I'm zeroed out to 30y before I have to adjust my pin.

Considered going lighter to see if I could push that out to 40.

Zac

WKR
Harder hitting (heavier) or faster?

It's time to buy/build more arrows, so I'm re-evaluating my system.
Current setup: Black Eagle Spartan 250, 27.75", 30gr insert, 125gr broadhead = 509 gr
Admittedly, that's a lot of punch for the average southern whitetail.

Should I cut weight to maximize the Halon 5's speed or continue to lob MOABs -- mostly, because I can?
What are your bow specs. It appears that your weight is spot on. 500 seems to be a good spot for multiple poundages. I guess the typical white tail set up would be something around 65 lbs of draw weight with a 420-250 grain arrow. Not a huge fan of the Spartan due to the odd internal diameter. It will work fine but I imagine you are limited on components. If you want to stay with BE I'd probably switch to the Rampage and use the Focus system or the Iron Will components. If you wanted to try something entirely new I'd probably go with an Easton Axis. I would use Iron Will components on those as well. However for white tail you could probably get away with the Easton Broadhead Adapter Ring and be just fine.

OP
L

LK1037

FNG
Thanks. The Spartans are past the point of return, so they're here to stay — for this season anyhow.

Bow specs are...
- 28" draw
- 73#
- 271 fps with 509 gr arrows (353 IBO)

My options are:
1. leave as is and merely hone the arrow tune (nock and fletch config)
2. go heavier — cut longer, replace 30 gr weight with 75 gr + 125 gr broadhead = 200 gr head (560 gr total)
3. go faster — cut shorter, remove head weights and just run 125 gr broadhead = 481 gr total

N2TRKYS

WKR
My current setup is 367 grains and doing ok with it, but it’s lighter than what I want. I’m gonna increase mine to the 450-500 range soon.

If I were shooting your velocity at your weight, I wouldn’t change anything.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’re good too. I always kept it in the 470 range with no issues with jumpy pa whitetails. It’ll keep your bow quieter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What are your bow specs. It appears that your weight is spot on. 500 seems to be a good spot for multiple poundages. I guess the typical white tail set up would be something around 65 lbs of draw weight with a 420-250 grain arrow. Not a huge fan of the Spartan due to the odd internal diameter. It will work fine but I imagine you are limited on components. If you want to stay with BE I'd probably switch to the Rampage and use the Focus system or the Iron Will components. If you wanted to try something entirely new I'd probably go with an Easton Axis. I would use Iron Will components on those as well. However for white tail you could probably get away with the Easton Broadhead Adapter Ring and be just fine.

Out of curiosity why don't like you the Spartans? They come standard with a SS impact insert that doesn't mushroom like the 5mm and they accept the standard 8/32 BH threading. All while coming down a bit skinnier than most traditional shafts. They're my favorite but always love to hear what others think on the matter.

When you get into a Rampage you now have to spend extra money on more components to get the arrow ready for those "bone penetrating impacts" everyone seems to be talking about these days. Though I do love the FOCOS system and will be trying X-Impacts next year.

I think you’re good too. I always kept it in the 470 range with no issues with jumpy pa white tails. It’ll keep your bow quieter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the biggest thing for me shooting GA and TN whitetail. Keep that arrow heavy for a quieter rig. You’ll never outrun sound with a bow and southern whitetails are amazing at their reaction times. Just last year I had a doe at 12 yards drop some much that my normal halfway up the front crease aimpoint yielded a spine shot doe. That bow shot a 465gr arrow at 265fps.

Zac

WKR
Out of curiosity why don't like you the Spartans? They come standard with a SS impact insert that doesn't mushroom like the 5mm and they accept the standard 8/32 BH threading. All while coming down a bit skinnier than most traditional shafts. They're my favorite but always love to hear what others think on the matter.

When you get into a Rampage you now have to spend extra money on more components to get the arrow ready for those "bone penetrating impacts" everyone seems to be talking about these days. Though I do love the FOCOS system and will be trying X-Impacts next year.
Mainly because your pigeon holes into a small list of components. There is nothing inherently wrong with the shaft its self. BE makes great products.