Mathews, if you think you perfected the bow then don't make it worse.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to my rant about the 2023 bows. Hopefully at some point Mathews learns to listen to their consumers........

You already had the deadest bow on the market and adding more limbs is just going to suck. I'd be willing to bet it's going to squeak after one backcountry hunting trip and dirt gets in between the rubber and limb. You're behind on tunability and the regular joe who uses his bows at home wants this. It's time for the mod and spacer system to go. Ok, Rant over, I just hope at some point they listen to the actual shooters.

CowboyD

FNG
I will stay with my Halon 32-7 until Mathews improves their cams, has adjustable draw length without mods and is tunable without top hats.

CowboyD

FNG
I've personally not had a problem with their grips but agree on strings. Elite puts AB strings on their bows at the factory.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
I will stay with my Halon 32-7 until Mathews improves their cams, has adjustable draw length without mods and is tunable without top hats.
For real, the cams are getting left in the dust by Elite and Hoyt.

Last edited:
I've personally not had a problem with their grips but agree on strings. Elite puts AB strings on their bows at the factory.

You saying Elite is using America's best?
Odd since TOG owns winners choice, and Elite has been using them for years, but I haven't kept up.

I have the v3x and love it, but I agree. A more friendlier tuning option would be nice. I do like the switch weight mods though because even if you’re a shorter draw length you get full efficiency out of the cam.

adjustable draw length without mods
You have to pick your poison on DL adjustability. A rotating mod is the most convenient to adjust but is only optimized at one DL setting (usually at the long end of the adjustment range) and loses speed more quickly as you move toward the shorter end. Fixed mods are less convenient but can be optimized for speed at all draw lengths. I personally prefer fixed mods and especially like Mathews' Switchweight system because it also gives you draw weight adjustability.

Welcome to my rant about the 2023 bows. Hopefully at some point Mathews learns to listen to their consumers........

You already had the deadest bow on the market and adding more limbs is just going to suck. I'd be willing to bet it's going to squeak after one backcountry hunting trip and dirt gets in between the rubber and limb. You're behind on tunability and the regular joe who uses his bows at home wants this. It's time for the mod and spacer system to go. Ok, Rant over, I just hope at some point they listen to the actual shooters.
Them coming out with a "brand new" model every year is just to maximize profits for fools who think they need the "latest and greatest" to keep up... and they're going to keep doing it because guys keep buying them.

If bow companies started releasing one model and running it as-is for years, the profits would go way down because guys would buy one(maybe two) and that's it... and while they're advertising these bows as "all new" whatever, guys who know what's up know that there's usually very very little change from year to year. Not nearly enough to warrant paying $1.2k for it anyway.

Its the same way with fly rods however those companies tend to run models for longer. After a few years Sage or Winston or whoever will come out with this "new and improved" rod that's barely different from the one they discontinued.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
You have to pick your poison on DL adjustability. A rotating mod is the most convenient to adjust but is only optimized at one DL setting (usually at the long end of the adjustment range) and loses speed more quickly as you move toward the shorter end. Fixed mods are less convenient but can be optimized for speed at all draw lengths. I personally prefer fixed mods and especially like Mathews' Switchweight system because it also gives you draw weight adjustability.
Understood but even if Mathews was able to shift the cam + or - half an inch would be enough adjustability for most people without needing to spend another $60 every time and be close enough to optimized nobody would be able to tell a difference. Also, they could easily add an adjustable draw weight option and potentially a limb stop option to get it close to modern and maintain their "peak performance" theory. Either way, if you look at the Elite Omina cams, Mathews is still in the stone ages.

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Halon 32-7. I witched my arrow set up this year and fell in love with it all over again.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
It’s kinda apparent Mathews is falling behind, they missed the mark. They are a marketing beast but if you bought a V3X can you really justify buying a Phase 4? It’s the same bow. I can see this being a down year for sales just given the lack of variety and increased price across the board.

bsnedeker

WKR
It’s kinda apparent Mathews is falling behind, they missed the mark. They are a marketing beast but if you bought a V3X can you really justify buying a Phase 4? It’s the same bow. I can see this being a down year for sales just given the lack of variety and increased price across the board.
New bow sales are going to be down in the next year regardless due to the economy. If you are going to flub a year and essentially just release the same bow it's not the worst year to do that from a business perspective.

I'm not saying that's what they are doing here...I don't give them that much credit!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I had a v3 good bow won a v3 x33 sold it right away bout a new hunting dog. Good bow but not enough of a change from the 31, which I sold and bought an inline 5 but it’s lack of adjustment like bowtech, elite and new pse cam have me thinking of a change. Elite cam on the omnia is everything I’ve wanted but it needs to get to 31 inches for me to enjoy. The next best cam I’ve seen this year is bowtechs target bows. Holding hope that elites new carbon reaches my draw length or bowtech adds the cam to hunting bows next year. The shops around me aren’t engaged in shimming cams for clients buying new bows. Tired of moving my rest out of center shot for arrow tuning.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Them coming out with a "brand new" model every year is just to maximize profits for fools who think they need the "latest and greatest" to keep up... and they're going to keep doing it because guys keep buying them.

If bow companies started releasing one model and running it as-is for years, the profits would go way down because guys would buy one(maybe two) and that's it... and while they're advertising these bows as "all new" whatever, guys who know what's up know that there's usually very very little change from year to year. Not nearly enough to warrant paying $1.2k for it anyway.

Its the same way with fly rods however those companies tend to run models for longer. After a few years Sage or Winston or whoever will come out with this "new and improved" rod that's barely different from the one they discontinued.
Lots of companies come out with new models each year. Usually not game changing improvements, but lots of guys like to tinker. (guns, vehicles, optics, rangefinders, knives, clothing, boots, backpacks, pretty much everything.) If you are satisfied with your current setup, by all means shoot it. $1.2k is different to everyone, to some it is big money, to some it is small beans. Why can a guy own 20 guns and no one questions, but a guy buys a bow a year and it is not needed. FWIW, I still shoot a Triax and average a new bow every 3 years or so.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider

I'm not disagreeing, but I haven't seen this demonstrated. I keep seeing people say that the switchweight mods are "more efficient". How much? 4fps? 10fps?

Some rotating mod cams are also better than others.

Do you know of a test someone has done at different draw lengths with mathews mods?

This is the only one I know off the top of my head that I've seen with rotating mods: