Mathews Switchback. Keep it or upgrade?

Brooks

WKR
I bought a Switchback XT new and still have it but since I bought a Bowtech Experience when they first came out I haven’t shot the XT. The XT is a good bow but the Experience IMO for me is a better shooting bow in every way. I think it just comes down to if you want a new bow. The XT will definitely do the job.

OP
C

cowboydan

FNG
I've been kicking around the idea of a used switchback lately. What do you think a fair price is if it’s in good condition?

Just curious, why do some guys get a new bow every year or every few years? Shouldn’t they last decades? I’m just curious becuse most guys don’t get a new rifle every year.
Im not really the guy to be asking but I know there is no way id let mine go for less than $300. And its a 10+ year old bow.

As for why guys buy a new one every year .... no idea. They don't change that much from year to year . They must have way more money than me

I bought a Switchback XT new around 16 years ago. I think 2006? Its taken 12 different animal species, been on two different continents and still shoots lights out. Yes she might be a little portly, slow and noisy, but so am I at this age. I always want to try the newest bows, but it shoots tight and always kills. It will become a wall hanger before I ever part with her. I have attachment issues with weapons that notch tags, fill freezers and put skulls on the wall.

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
One of the best compounds. I killed a deer with mine this year. Nothing you can’t do with it. You’ll pay a lot to get a modest performance increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I keep being tempted to get a new bow, but I can’t justify it when my Switchback XT keeps bringing home animals. Many animals have been shot with Switchbacks or bows far less advanced. I say stick with what you have and use the funds for other equipment upgrades or tags or something else...

I was in the same boat,kept mine and stripped it down and cerakote all of it black,put new idler wheel,grip,string etc.You could hang it on the rack at the store and tell people its the 2021 switchback,looks good,shoots good and leaves me more money for other stuff.

Attachments

• E14F344B-3339-436A-ABA1-7A3091DF0FE2.jpeg
    E14F344B-3339-436A-ABA1-7A3091DF0FE2.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 33
  • A96F9F8E-DB91-44AD-8BF3-898ADA0F41F3.jpeg
    A96F9F8E-DB91-44AD-8BF3-898ADA0F41F3.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 33

Sacpd70

FNG
I bought the new VXR last year. Love it. My first Mathews and won’t change anytime soon. Super easy to setup and draw with.

Josh_

FNG
I purchased a Switchback XT new when they came out. Killed a lot of deer with it and decided I need to upgrade. Upgraded to the Z7 Extreme, never really liked it, so a few years ago I sold it and bought a used Switchback XT.

I couldn't be happier. Its the best shooting bow I have ever picked up. It just puts animals on the ground.

I say keep it and use that money for other gear...

I have a Mathews Halon 6 and it is heavy when comparing it to most bows. I do appreciate how steady it is at full draw and how much quieter it is compared to my old Fred Bear Code that I got as my first investment into bow hunting 10+ years ago. That $500 bow killed a lot of animals and I never tuned it once. A lot more than those $1k bows can say IMO. I’ll probably take my Mathews and get it tuned for next year because I didn’t like how my fixed blades were shooting out of it past 30 yards. Find one that fits you, your budget, and your intended purpose. Good luck!

I have the same bow and there are a lot of good newer bows out there, but from my experience I like the switchback more.

i know its a mountain term, but this bow is the reason for my username lol i shoot a z7 now but i love my switchback

Hank

FNG
I shot my original switchback for 11 years before buying a new bow. I’ve sinced owned 2 newer model bows but I still feel I shot my switchback better than either of the newer ones.

I’d save up for a second bow and keep this one. There is a small list of bows that really left an impression on shooters that I would hold on to.

The Switchback, ‘13 Hoyt Spyder, ‘14 Elite Energy 32 and a few others where hot the year they released and have still held a huge impression on those who owned em. I would hold on to it to be completely honest.

Wildbuck

FNG
+1 for keeping the switchback. Been in the same boat and stayed with it. Very glad I did. Have friends who try and pry it off me every year.