Mathews Switchback XT 29"DL, 70lb

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
I need help determining the worth of a 10 year old Switchback XT, 70 lb draw, fully accessorized. I'm 67 and this is too much for me to draw now. Trade it for a new bow, or try to sell it first, and then buy? Thanks for any replies.

elkguide

WKR
The best bow that Mathews has ever made. I've seen them advertised from $275 to $799.
Totally will depend on if someone is looking.

Good luck.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks elkguide, I think I'd be happy with a trade on the lower side of your scale. I've been reading about some of the 90% letoff bows, and will have to look into some of them. Any Manufacturer suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sodbuster

WKR
elkguide
The best bow that Mathews has ever made. I've seen them advertised from $275 to $799.
Totally will depend on if someone is looking.

Good luck.

One of their best for sure and still has a cult following.

- - - Updated - - -

PSE with evolve cams, Elite as well can get you into the high let off your are looking for.As efficient as the newer bows are 60 pound, is the new 70, and 50 is the new 60.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Talked with Mathews dealer (30 miles away) over the phone, and he gave me a "ballpark" trade of $3-350. He also said he could put new limbs and cams on it to get the draw weight down to 50lbs. Sounds expensive, but maybe not compared to new purchase. I've alway liked the Switchback, so I may go that route.

Kay9Cop

FNG
A new cam should be about $100 and a set of limbs should be about $200. I recently looked at this for my Switchback (non-XT), but decided against it because I'd be putting $300 into about a $400-$450 bow.

jeffpg

WKR
I'm a huge fan of these bows, and have 3 in the 60 lb draw weight version that I shoot on a very regular basis. They are rigged out identically except for different sights. I have stayed with this bow due to a shoulder injury, since they are so smooth and forgiving. They have served me well and I have taken several dozen animals from Texas to Africa with them. I agree with a lot of folks that Mathews hit a home run with this model.

That's actually a pretty decent trade value the dealer is offering, depending upon the condition of your bow and string, etc. and what accessories come with it. It's a tough decision whether to sink the funds into it to convert it. You would definitely be money ahead to trade it for a 60 lb bow, if you can find someone willing to trade. You may even find used parts needed to convert your bow if you search the right website, such as ArcheryTalk Forum: Archery Target, Bowhunting, Classifieds, Chat

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great bow. I shot my Switchback XT for several years and took a lot of animals with it. I've had 3 newer bows since, but keep my Switchback XT setup and ready as a backup. I can pick it up and shoot it well anytime. I would guess you could sell it for few hundred bucks, but it might be worth more than that to you just to keep it.

Lead Engineer - Iron Will Broadheads

OR Archer

WKR
Talked with Mathews dealer (30 miles away) over the phone, and he gave me a "ballpark" trade of $3-350. He also said he could put new limbs and cams on it to get the draw weight down to 50lbs. Sounds expensive, but maybe not compared to new purchase. I've alway liked the Switchback, so I may go that route.

We take trade ins at our shop. Bare that bow is around $250 still. Fully kitted it’s around $400 if it’s good accessories.

If you put new limbs on it that’s $199. Doesn’t require a new cam or strings to do that either.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the comments. I will take it up to the dealer and see how close he comes to the ballpark figure, and go from there. I'm seriously thinking about the cam and limbs as I really do like this bow, and according to OR Archer it doesn't need new cams, just limbs. For $199 that may be the way to go. I'll post which way I go, but thanks again to everyone who commented.

Sodbuster

WKR
cruiser, I had the original Switchback not the XT but is was one of the smoothest , most accurate bows I ever had.I have owned many
since but still remember running a one pin slider sight and shooting broadheads to 90 yards.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Sodbuster, funny you mention shooting at 90 yards. I remember buying my first bow some 45 years ago from a guy who had a pro shop in his garage. He had about a 5 acre field out back where you could shoot bows. I remember him shooting out to about 100 yards, and how amazed I was at his accuracy at those distances. If I remember correctly, he was a Darton dealer.

Sodbuster

WKR
cruizer
Sodbuster, funny you mention shooting at 90 yards. I remember buying my first bow some 45 years ago from a guy who had a pro shop in his garage. He had about a 5 acre field out back where you could shoot bows. I remember him shooting out to about 100 yards, and how amazed I was at his accuracy at those distances. If I remember correctly, he was a Darton dealer.

Darton's have always been under the radar for a lot of bowhunters but use first rate technology.
Long distance practice is a lot fun.Keep your form and follow through on the release.
Easy to get hooked.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Are there tournaments for long distance shooting, or do you just practice a lot at those distances. I would think a guy might lose a few arrows shooting long distance until you become proficient at it. I have a friend up north who swears by Darton. He has 3 now, and has had nothing but Darton for years.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Dealer actually offered $275 in a trade, as I wanted to keep a few of the accessories. I thought that was a fair offer. New limbs would be $225 installed. Going to try to sell locally because of shipping costs, and if it doesn't sell I may go the new Limb route. Thanks to all.

elkguide

WKR
Dealer actually offered $275 in a trade, as I wanted to keep a few of the accessories. I thought that was a fair offer. New limbs would be $225 installed. Going to try to sell locally because of shipping costs, and if it doesn't sell I may go the new Limb route. Thanks to all.

Sounds like a very fair trade offer. Good luck.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
I thought so elkguide. It's a small world. I was born and brought up in Vermont, lived and worked there most of my life in Rutland. What neck of the woods are you from? Just one question, How can you be an elk guide in VT?:eek:

Last edited:

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
The Switchback XT is one of my most favorite bows I’ve ever owned. I keep mine as a backup bow and will never sell it. It’s been the most dependable bow I’ve ever shot. But I figure a good price is around $350 because you just don’t see many anymore. I know this thread is old lol.