Mathews Traverse 2 months in review

Pramo

WKR
Figured I’d put together a review on the new Mathews Traverse, I’ve had the bow since late November and have spend enough time behind it that I can give decent comments For reference I’ve bow hunted for 25 years and I’ve been a Hoyt guy for that last 6 or 8 years and prefer a slim grip and 75% let off, I don’t care for bows with a big hump or large valley.

I was interested in trying out the Traverse after shooting a Halon 32 at a shop a while back but couldn’t take the lack of balance when carrying the bow around and the Traverse on paper fixed these problems. Mine is set at 70 lb on my scale and draw is 29.5 with the I 75% mods (they run long) with the string untwisted some and if fits perfect, I do use a longer loop then most to compensate for my big nose and jaw. I also have the 85% mods and may put them on for late season whitetail where legal but prefer the 75%.

With the 75% mods the draw is very similar to my Carbon Defiant 34 cam 3 although a little stiffer which is understandable due to the 10 fps of increased speed. For tuning I did have to flip around the top hats and bought a top hat kit to get bullet holes from a few different bare and fletched arrows and here are the speeds for my setup

75% I mods 70 pounds with a fletcher 3/16 peep tie in on the string
Axis 300 with 50 grain brass 4 fletch
Weight: 478
Speed: 279

Total loaded bow weight on my postal scale and this is where the integration of the Mathews accessories really shines.

Traverse: 7 lb 1 oz (Black Gold Ascent, bee string front/back bar/mathews static mount, Integrated QAD, and Q-Lite quiver, 5 arrows it will hold 6)
Carbon Defiant 34: 6 lb 10 oz (Black Gold Ascent, Bee Stinger mount/front/back bar, tight spot quiver, hamskea rest, 5 arrows)

The main take away from the bow is the clean integration of the Q-lite quiver, QAD rest and Mathews static side bar mount. Everything fits together perfect and helps make up for the heavy bare bow weight. The bow balances perfect left/right and front/back which is one of the most important aspect to me for getting a fast shot on game when needed. I prefer the Q-Lite quiver to my trusty tight spot and the micro adjust rest is a nice touch but of course not needed.

As far as shooting goes I can shoot most any bow fine so I never read much into that, for me it’s smoothness of draw, speed and balance that matter the most. Of course, the bow looks cool so that always helps out

Here are a few photos to see how things fit together

bow.PNG

quiver2.PNG

front.PNG
Capture.PNG

Why did you have to post this. Now I wont be able to stop reading it. I have never owned a Mathews and this is the fist one to catch my attention.

Thanks for doing the review.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sodbuster

WKR
Nice review. I haven't been a Mathews guy for a decade but this is their one model I am going to take a look at.

I’m still waiting on my Traverse that I had special ordered the day after Thanksgiving. Supposed to ship from Mathews this week, but I’m not holding my breath.

Got the call today from my Mathews Dealer that my Traverse was in, so I went and picked it up this afternoon. Got it set up and tuned - sighted in at 20 and so far so good!

Smooth draw and solid wall. I’m excited to get to shoot it more this week!

dmuche

FNG
Hi Pramo, were you able to swap mods without a bow press? I was able to get the 85% off really easy, but can't seem to get the 75s installed.

Hi Pramo, were you able to swap mods without a bow press? I was able to get the 85% off really easy, but can't seem to get the 75s installed.
Unscrew the draw stop on the end of the mod and they will go on much easier is what the fellas at the bow shop suggested if I needed to ever mess with mine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I am loving my Traverse as well. I just started up into archery about December of last year and have since rigged out my Traverse with both a target and hunting setup. Really trying to avoid buying a target now Haha.
Have been shooting in the 290s at the local 5 spot league in town and shot my best 3D recently at 210 for 20 targets.

Shooting BE Rampages coming in around 460ish gr for hunting and BE PS26 that are right around 400gr for target.
d2eeca460a04656b1a1232db4110295d.jpg
10c6b9baa7c89aff2b8dc4e8558f4399.jpg

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Picked mine up tonight, can't wait to shoot it more. Can't believe how solid and stable this bow is.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Loving this bow. Shot some 3D with it tonight. Need more time sighting in but this thing is sweet

Attachments

• IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 65

wybry

FNG
Hey guys, can anyone of you traverse owners give me some feedback on how it performs on grip? My current bow either absolutely hates my grip or I just cant get the exact grip it likes. current bow is an Elite Tempo. Been shooting paper a lot with it to try and find the right grip and I can go from a 4 inch right nock tear to a half inch right nock tear just by trying different grips. Seems this thing is super sensitive, or maybe its the shooter, on grip pressure. Elite's business model is to have the worlds most shootable bows, and at this point I just don't see it. Just wondering if the Mathews Traverse is a little more forgiving? Hoping to go shoot the traverse at the end of this week. Been trying to get this thing tuned for weeks now and its frustrating the hell out of me.

ps. I have walk back tuned this bow to get the rest set

wybry

FNG
I am loving my Traverse as well. I just started up into archery about December of last year and have since rigged out my Traverse with both a target and hunting setup. Really trying to avoid buying a target now Haha.
Have been shooting in the 290s at the local 5 spot league in town and shot my best 3D recently at 210 for 20 targets.

Shooting BE Rampages coming in around 460ish gr for hunting and BE PS26 that are right around 400gr for target.
d2eeca460a04656b1a1232db4110295d.jpg
10c6b9baa7c89aff2b8dc4e8558f4399.jpg

Is that traverse pretty picky about grip?

Is that traverse pretty picky about grip?
Man I am really not knowledgeable enough in that regard to say. I just try to go over the same routine(stance, grip placement, anchor, etc.) before every shot so that is hopefully eliminated.

Last edited:

Vandal 44

WKR
In my opinion the Traverse is not that finicky when it comes to grip/hand placement. I have one Traverse with the "Engage Grip" and the other one set up with the side plates. I am leaning more toward the side plates, I get a more repeatable grip/hand placement

In my opinion the Traverse is not that finicky when it comes to grip/hand placement. I have one Traverse with the "Engage Grip" and the other one set up with the side plates. I am leaning more toward the side plates, I get a more repeatable grip/hand placement
What plates are those?
I ordered the adjustable High Demand grip only to realize once it came in they dont work with 2019 bows lol.