Mathews Traverse Review and Discussion

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new review will be landing in the next few days. Pretty sweet bow. You can follow along the thread and ask any questions here.

Les

It’s been out for a year are you just now reviewing it because you just bought one or is this more so to introduce the 2020 bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s been out for a year are you just now reviewing it because you just bought one or is this more so to introduce the 2020 bow?

Mathews is a new sponsor. They asked if we would review, and we obliged. I'll have the newest bow from them, in a month, that review will be out very early December.

Mathews is a new sponsor. They asked if we would review, and we obliged. I'll have the newest bow from them, in a month, that review will be out very early December.

Very nice. Can’t wait to see what they put out.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m excited to see as well!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've heard that Mathews runs a little long in the draw......like 1/2"........is that true? Does this bow use draw specific cams, cam modules, or can you change to multiple draw lengths on the cam? Also, never seen cables attach like those.........how do you yoke tune those.......or can you?

At 33" ATA that's almost 4" shorter than the shortest bow I've ever shot. It might be difficult for you to say coming from a 28" ATA, but does it feel and shoot like a shorter bow versus a long bow?

Longbow42

FNG
Mike,
I bought one last year and it is my favorite bow. The ATA feels longer as the cams are quite large. They do run about 1/2” long. I have mine set at 33.25” DL. It tuned very easy after I got the shim kit, which is quite ingenious . They call them top hats. It draws nice and smooth, with a good back wall and is very quite with little to no vibe at shot.

Mine came in first of March and I really like it. Back wall is solid, holds well, and very quiet. Draw runs 1/2 in long as most Mathews do. I found the draw cycle to be much better than the Vertix.

RossinMN

FNG
I read your Traverse review; nicely written. You mentioned the Traverse was “heavier and bulkier” than the Vertix. This must be specific to your setups of the two bows since weight-wise there is only a half ounce difference between the two bare bows. Personally I thought the draw cycle of the Traverse was less “stiff” than the Vertix, but that could be associated with my particular draw length. Overall, both are very nice bows. Looking forward to your follow-up report.

RossinMN

FNG
I've heard that Mathews runs a little long in the draw......like 1/2"........is that true? Does this bow use draw specific cams, cam modules, or can you change to multiple draw lengths on the cam? Also, never seen cables attach like those.........how do you yoke tune those.......or can you?

At 33" ATA that's almost 4" shorter than the shortest bow I've ever shot. It might be difficult for you to say coming from a 28" ATA, but does it feel and shoot like a shorter bow versus a long bow?

Actually, because of the large diameter of the Crosscentric cams, the string angle at full draw is that of a much longer bow.

I have the bow and for a long draw bow for hunting I thought Mathews did a outstanding job as I couldn’t be happier, I switched from shooting Hoyt for the last 10 years as this is the first bow I really felt Mathews really listen to what us the LD guys wanted and needed and they hit the bullseye with this bow. IMO
Danny D.

Stalker69

WKR
I shot all the mathews bows a week ago including the new VXR. The traverse is the better imo. Still it didn’t “ make me buy it”. My current bow is still safe, but waiting on a few bows that have yet to be released.

I'm just getting into archery and have been looking at bows and reviews online.

The nearest Scheels has the Traverse on sale for $799. I shot it yesterday and it felt good, but I've yet to shoot any other compound bow that was built after 2000.

Being a lefty, I'm limited to what shops have on hand.

Do you think the bow is worth $799?