Mathews Travertix/ VXR 33

slinginbc

FNG
Figured I should do a build thread for my Traverse with switchweight cams.
Hopefully I can get all the info here so anybody else wanting to do the same build won’t have to hunt around for specs like I did.

It all started when with a dry fire only a month before hunting season with my first big backpack elk hunt planned a couple days into the season (palm smashed my face after my string did). Top cam was bent and a limb was cracked. Thankfully I got lucky and quickly found a vxr 28 that needed a restoration after a couple botched paint jobs, but the SW cams would work. (It’s almost done with fresh cerakote and cc3 cams)

c7cd82394bdc9665452405d18fe8150d.jpg

Finding a single replacement limb that I could get shipped to Canada in time was probably the hardest part. This was right at the peak of all the restrictions and wait times from Mathews were an eternity after they shut down. Eventually I got one but the days were counting down to my hunt.

Luckily I managed to find the string specs from “Terrybuilt Original Archery Designs” after some asking around. This really saved a lot of time and headache and my local string builder “Pin It Custom Bowstrings” was able to get them done super quick.

a2614abbe68af346749d604a15c32a4a.jpg

The only thing I hadn’t confirmed was which mods would work for me. The whole point of the build was to increase poundage and have the option to easily change. With 70# traverse limbs I ended up going with a 70# C 85% mod. This got me to exactly 75# and an AMO draw length of 31 3/4. To anyone using the string specs I’d say it’s pretty safe to add 5# and 1 1/2” to the vxr 31.5 mod chart. I think the extra 1/4” I have is just the typical long Mathews draw.

6ad3ced5da0f4243715ff0f6b1a0dc72.jpg

e0d881a88b5da85c20cf86127d5a30a5.jpg

All in all the this thing tuned and shoots like it’s a factory built bow. I really don’t notice a harsh draw cycle like you hear on the vxr’s and v3’s. I’m dying to shoot it through a chrono just don’t have one yet. I definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn’t want to give up their Traverse but can’t get over not having the sw option.

Speed Update:

526gr- 292fps
600gr- 270fps

Pin It Custom Bowstrings
CBE Engage Hybrid
Hamskea hybrid hunter pro w/micro
Hamskea raptor peep
Ultraview Beereal Mathews grip
Crossroads crossover 821 stabilizer
Easton axis match grade 260, 526gr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
This is something they should have done from the beginning with that bow. As much as I like the traverse I was disappointed they didn’t release it with the switch weight cams.

Spence14

WKR
This is something they should have done from the beginning with that bow. As much as I like the traverse I was disappointed they didn’t release it with the switch weight cams.
From what my local shop told me, the VXR 31.5” and the V3 31” have basically the same riser as the Traverse with more parallel limbs that give it a slightly shorter ata. So they sort of did give the traverse a switch weight option.... I think.

OP
slinginbc

slinginbc

FNG
[mention]Spence14 [/mention] At this point I think the best move would be an ata around 33” but with the extended riser that the other bows have. Mostly to get a longer draw length and a bit better string angle. There’s a bit of a gap in bows for anyone who draws around 31”

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
From what my local shop told me, the VXR 31.5” and the V3 31” have basically the same riser as the Traverse with more parallel limbs that give it a slightly shorter ata. So they sort of did give the traverse a switch weight option.... I think.

Wrong. Those bows poo poo anyone over a 30.5 DL. Traverse had enough length on it. V3 doesn't.

Last edited:
Anyone on here have any 70# Traverse limbs. Just discovered this forum. But in need for 70# limbs.

KitsapDan

FNG
I have a Traverse and while not in a hurry to change it, curious if you find your modified setup overall “better” shooting (outside of the switch weight capabilities) similar or possibly worse?

Right now I only range shoot, but in the short time I’ve had it I really like the 85% let off and back wall feel.

I have a Traverse and while not in a hurry to change it, curious if you find your modified setup overall “better” shooting (outside of the switch weight capabilities) similar or possibly worse?

Right now I only range shoot, but in the short time I’ve had it I really like the 85% let off and back wall feel.

In my opinion it depends on your draw length. I can't see the benefits for me, but a guy with a 31" or longer draw can get a bow that isn't offered.

Give it a little time, I think we will have another build/review thread.

If Mathews decides to make a V3 33/V3 Traverse or whatever their next years bow is they’ll probably have a guy here buying a bow from the shop new. I like my VXR 31.5 but I wish it was longer ATA. Maybe even a 34”. Now that would be sexy.

Reactions: ZDR
OP
slinginbc

slinginbc

FNG

Aside from the sw capability I would say it’s very similar. My main goal was to be able to get the traverse to 75# or more and I got exactly what I wanted without any sacrifices.