Mathews Travertix/ VXR 33

OP
slinginbc

slinginbc

FNG
I just realized I never posted the speeds after getting a chrono. I haven’t tested many arrows yet but this is what I got at 75# 31 3/4 dl

526gr- 292 fps
600gr- 270fps

KitsapDan

FNG
I just realized I never posted the speeds after getting a chrono. I haven’t tested many arrows yet but this is what I got at 75# 31 3/4 dl

526gr- 292 fps
600gr- 270fps
Did a bow speed test on my ~62lb Traverse today. 31.5DL, Gold tip Hunter 340’s @ 32” (probably 2” too long) and got 299fps.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
So Im building a VXR 33 aka Traverse X.

My goal of this build is to get a longer ata for a better string angle. This is my primary goal. Im pulling a 31.25" draw length. Also secondary options are to pick up the same speed pulling less Lbs. Also I really like the draw cycle on the switchweight cams vs the CC2 cams.

I have a VXR 31.5. I really like the bow but a couple things I would change if I could. Having a 31.25" draw on a 31.5" ATA bow isnt working. These bows dont really like to be in a equalateral triangle IME. While it hasn't affected my on target accuarcy the bow is not very forgiving for me. If Im not focused on close to perfect form and follow through I get quite a bit of horizontal stringing. This is also due to getting my head on the string right. Its much easier for me to get my head in the right spot with a longer ata bow and feels more natural. I have torqued tuned the bow and changed the rest from a hamskea to a QAD intergrate. That helped a bit but its still not as forgiving as I would like. My Hoyt RX3 Ultra is more forgiving. This is because of the longer ATA. The traverse stock is more forgiving as well.

The rub with the traverse. The best cam I have ever pulled is the hoyt RX3 ultra #3 cam. Is just butter smooth. The switchweight cam is a very close second. The CC2 cam is a distant third to the first 2 cams. So why not put switchweight cams on the Traverse. Its a direct swap. The CC2 cams are no slouch pushing a 484 grain arrow at 70 lbs and 31.25" DL at 290 FPS through my lab radar. The VXR with switch weight cams pushes the same arrow at 65 Lbs at 285 Fps. I'm hoping that I can gain the lower draw weight at 65 Lbs while pushing the same arrow at 285-290 fps.

Since I really like the ambush green VXR i decided to blow the bow apart and take it to a bow painter to have the riser switched from black to ambush green. Ambush green isn't a paint color that directly exists outside of Mathews as far as we can tell so the traverse is getting painted a shade of olive drab which is very close. Im going to keep the limbs black. I also have decided to stick with the stock limb pockets. While I like the SCC system I dont like it enough to spend a bunch of money on limb pockets just to get the SCC onto the traverse.

I also ordered a Ti bolt kit from Firenock since I was going to have the bow blown apart anyways. As of right now I have the Switch weight cams with the suspected appropiate mod to get me to 31.25" DL and 65 lbs. I have the strings made in olive drab BCY X99 with black serving and I have the Ti bolt kit.

As of this moring I have the cams installed on the limbs with all the bolts replaced with the Ti kit and I have the strings in hand. I am just waiting for the riser to get back from the painter for final assembly. I will update after final assembly with chrono numbers after tuning.

Last edited:

My goal of this build is to get a longer ata for a better sting angle. This is my primary goal. Im pulling a 31.25" draw length. Also secondary options are to pick up the same speed pulling less Lbs. Also I really like the draw cycle on the switchweight cams vs the CC2 cams.

I have a VXR 31.5. I really like the bow but a couple things I would change if I could. Having a 31.25" draw on a 31.5" ATA bow isnt working. These bows dont really like to be in a equalateral triangle IME. While it hasn't affected my on target accuarcy the bow is not very forgiving for me. If Im not focused on close to perfect form and follow through I get quite a bit of horizontal stringing. This is also due to getting my head on the string right. Its much easier for me to get my head in the right spot with a longer ata bow and feels more natural. I have torqued tuned the bow and changed the rest from a hamskea to a QAD intergrate. That helped a bit but its still not as forgiving as I would like. My Hoyt RX3 Ultra is more forgiving. This is because of the longer ATA. The traverse stock is more forgiving as well.

The rub with the traverse. The best cam I have ever pulled is the hoyt RX3 ultra #3 cam. Is just butter smooth. The switchweight cam is a very close second. The CC2 cam is a distant third to the first 2 cams. So why not put switchweight cams on the Traverse. Its a direct swap. The CC2 cams are no slouch pushing a 484 grain arrow at 70 lbs and 31.25" DL at 290 FPS through my lab radar. The VXR with switch weight cams pushes the same arrow at 65 Lbs at 285 Fps. I'm hoping that I can gain the lower draw weight at 65 Lbs while pushing the same arrow at 285-290 fps.

Since I really like the ambush green VXR i decided to blow the bow apart and take it to a bow painter to have the riser switched from black to ambush green. Ambush green isn't a paint color that directly exists outside of Mathews as far as we can tell so the traverse is getting painted a shade of olive drab which is very close. Im going to keep the limbs black. I also have decided to stick with the stock limb pockets. While I like the SCC system I dont like it enough to spend a bunch of money on limb pockets just to get the SCC onto the traverse.

I also ordered a Ti bolt kit from Firenock since I was going to have the bow blown apart anyways. As of right now I have the Switch weight cams with the suspected appropiate mod to get me to 31.25" DL and 65 lbs. I have the strings made in olive drab BCY X99 with black serving and I have the Ti bolt kit.

As of this moring I have the cams installed on the limbs with all the bolts replaced with the Ti kit and I have the strings in hand. I am just waiting for the riser to get back from the painter for final assembly. I will update after final assembly with chrono numbers after tuning.
That sounds friggin sweet!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
slinginbc

slinginbc

FNG

My goal of this build is to get a longer ata for a better sting angle. This is my primary goal. Im pulling a 31.25" draw length. Also secondary options are to pick up the same speed pulling less Lbs. Also I really like the draw cycle on the switchweight cams vs the CC2 cams.

I think you’re really going to like the setup. I’m curious what your before and after speeds are going to be as I didn’t get speeds before. I tried to swap the limb pockets and limbs to speed things up instead of waiting for a replacement limb, but the vxr limb pocket is actually slightly different so it doesn’t work.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
There is life. Will work on it more this weekend. I can assemble like a mofo.
Green came out nice. Its different then ambush but I like it.

20210803_183655.jpg20210803_183748.jpg

Reactions: ZDR
Sweet build and I’m sure super comfortable, but with the speeds you posted it’s a 325 IBO bow with a ton of time and work into it.. why not just buy a Mathews Atlas? Just curious as there are options right off the shelf with extremely similar specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Sweet build and I’m sure super comfortable, but with the speeds you posted it’s a 325 IBO bow with a ton of time and work into it.. why not just buy a Mathews Atlas? Just curious as there are options right off the shelf with extremely similar specs

#1) They want a bunch of money on an atlas. For what it is I feel $1350 is stout.
#2) Ive never had a bow hit IBO speeds anyways, not my VXR either or my hoyt RX3 ultra.
#3) While I dont know for sure dropping 3" of DL on an atlas is likely to result in a slower bow at 65 lbs.
#4) I had the traverse anyways just didnt like the cams as much as the VXR cams. Didnt like shooting the VXR as much as the stability of the traverse.
#5) I have liked the traverse better then the other long axle hunting bows I have tried. Except the Rx ultra hoyts. I like them as well. So I just have both.

#1) They want a bunch of money on an atlas. For what it is I feel $1350 is stout.
#2) Ive never had a bow hit IBO speeds anyways, not my VXR either or my hoyt RX3 ultra.
#3) While I dont know for sure dropping 3" of DL on an atlas is likely to result in a slower bow at 65 lbs.
#4) I had the traverse anyways just didnt like the cams as much as the VXR cams. Didnt like shooting the VXR as much as the stability of the traverse.
#5) I have liked the traverse better then the other long axle hunting bows I have tried. Except the Rx ultra hoyts. I like them as well. So I just have both.

I think it’s an awesome build for sure, just wondered why you went the route you did. Good review

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I think it’s an awesome build for sure, just wondered why you went the route you did. Good review

Thanks bud. There is quite a few people that love the traverse. It is a great bow. Just could be improved on a touch. Its what many longer draw shooters were hoping mathews would come out with but instead we got a semi industry wide lockout of many of the "flagship" bows if your a 31-32" draw. Basically left us with a Hoyt RX5 Ultra, PSE 33 NXT, Prime back 5 on the 33-34 ATA longer draw bows.

The pse is an ibo of 322ish. I shot one and the traverse was the clear winner for bow feel for me.

The prime black 3 and 5 is a sweet looking bow and I liked it when I shot it. Not more then I liked the traverse though. Also at 31" max DL I was going to have to do some tinkering and take the bow out of specs to get 31.25" DL. Also Im not a huge fan of 7 strings.

I will likely buy a RX5 ultra to replace my 3.

That kinda left me with putting $240 with of cams and mods on the traverse and here we are. If i can get 285-290 and drop 5lbs of draw weight and smoother drawning cams ill be extremely happy.
Buying new strings was a zero sum as I was needing to replace the zebras anyways.
Painting the bow was completely on me and not a needed expense.

Reactions: ZDR
Thanks bud. There is quite a few people that love the traverse. It is a great bow. Just could be improved on a touch. Its what many longer draw shooters were hoping mathews would come out with but instead we got a semi industry wide lockout of many of the "flagship" bows if your a 31-32" draw. Basically left us with a Hoyt RX5 Ultra, PSE 33 NXT, Prime back 5 on the 33-34 ATA longer draw bows.

The pse is an ibo of 322ish. I shot one and the traverse was the clear winner for bow feel for me.

The prime black 3 and 5 is a sweet looking bow and I liked it when I shot it. Not more then I liked the traverse though. Also at 31" max DL I was going to have to do some tinkering and take the bow out of specs to get 31.25" DL. Also Im not a huge fan of 7 strings.

I will likely buy a RX5 ultra to replace my 3.

That kinda left me with putting $240 with of cams and mods on the traverse and here we are. If i can get 285-290 and drop 5lbs of draw weight and smoother drawning cams ill be extremely happy.
Buying new strings was a zero sum as I was needing to replace the zebras anyways.
Painting the bow was completely on me and not a needed expense.

For sure! If you can find limbs and cams that cheap, why not!

cured_ham

WKR
Does this give you a little bit nicer string angle because of the larger SW cam as well? Also any change in brace?