Mathews V3 arrow problem

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Mathews v3 31 with 31” draw and 75lb mods….

Using 30.5” Axis 5mm 260 spine and is looks like that is on the weak side.

I am trying to shoot 125gr tip (hopefully iron will SB) with total arrow weight around 550.

Anybody have a similar setup that offer an arrow recommendation? I have searched high and low and not finding much.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My goodness, cut those things down a few inches and you'll be fine. I'm shooting 30" arrows at 32 7/8" draw at 75lbs, and currently shooting Victory RIP TKO Elite 250's with 200gr up front (insert and BH) and they shoot great. But I can still tune the bow to my 300's as well. Also......."spine", not spline.

OP
Buffalo0922

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
Wow I completely butchered this post …😂splined arrows would be interesting-.

I am shooting 30.5 not 31.5
Maybe I can get another inch off. Regardless I am still on the marginal level of acceptance. Hopefully arrow technology catches up with bow technology . Seems like something in the 220-230 SPINE would be my sweet spot.

thanks for the advice

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You could also try the Sirius Apollo 200 spine shafts, but you shouldn't need those. 250's or 260's will work for you but I would definitely shorten them. Not sure what rest you're shooting, but you should easily be able to get down to 29" arrows. An inch and a half will make a big difference.

Your 260's should work fine with a little trimming. If you do want to go stiffer, Black Eagle Rampages are another option in addition to those already mentioned above.

Last edited:

slinginbc

FNG
I just had the same problem with almost the identical setup. 75# traverse, 31.75” dl. 260 spine Easton axis with 125gr points, aluminum inserts, cut to 30.25” gave me trouble when I got to broadhead tuning. I ended up cutting my arrows down to 29.25” after confirming on archers advantage that it would work. End of carbon now lines up with back of the riser at full draw which doesn’t bother me and did what I needed for broadhead tuning. It’s easy to under estimate how much trimming some carbon off will change things.

Ideally I’d like my arrows a little stiffer so my other option was BE x-impact 250s, and I think that’s the route I’ll go for my next set of arrows

ia bhtr

FNG
cut them down as others have said will stiffen spine , also if you dont have wraps , a wrap on the back adding weight , lighted nocks adding weight , fletching with a little more drag , all of these " can " help a little to stiffen spine

weight up front = weakens spine
weight in the back = stiffens spine

whether or not it would be enough to make much difference would be the issue

OP
Buffalo0922

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice. Can’t believe how much there is to setting up a bow. Going to go with shortening and a wrap/lighted knock to help them out. No issues with field tips, just having weird patterns shooting broadheads.

No issues with field tips, just having weird patterns shooting broadheads.
Weird as in inconsistent/erratic points of impact? Or are you getting consistently tight broadhead groups but they're just not landing in the same spot as your field points? BH's are less forgiving of weak spine than FP's, but there could also be factors other than spine that are negatively affecting your BH flight.

OP
Buffalo0922

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
With field points I almost always keep my 40yd groups within a 3-4 inches, and can feel when I pulled high or whatever. With the broadheads, it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to how they land. I’ll feel like I had a great shot and miss by 4 inches, or feel like I pulled left and have it hit an inch right. Just using g2 125gr fixed blades.

Not sure why the spine stiffness would be more in play with a broadheads vs fieldtip, just trying to eliminate mechanical issues before I realize the problem is probably something I am doing….

An easy way to test if/how much underspine might be contributing to your problems would be to reduce your draw weight and/or shoot some 100 gr BH's and see what happens.

Any issue with the arrow (incorrect spine, misalignment of components, too little fletching, etc), bow (string path not aligned with rest, vane contact, etc), or shooter (grip torque, poor release, bow arm collapse, etc) will have a greater impact on a BH-tipped arrow than on a FP. Any of those issues can cause the arrow to leave the bow slightly off course, and a BH has more ability to keep the arrow off course than a FP due to the BH's greater surface area.

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I’m shooting V3 32 with 30.5 draw and 75.8 lbs I use gold tip kinetic kaos 200 spine cut to 30 inches I shoot 175 grain heads with there insert and collar taw 603. Fly’s real well and hits the target with a purpose

Eastmans had the one of the Mathews engineers on and he said the v3s tuned better with a little weaker spine. I'd tone down the draw weight first and see if that has any effect on tune and then if it doesn't maybe only cut a couple at a time and check those vs the uncuts

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
just trying to eliminate mechanical issues before I realize the problem is probably something I am doing….
Try shooting bare shafts at 20 yards. If they're all over the place like your BH's, then that's all you most likely and your grip. You can also do some nock tuning to try and bring all your arrows closer into the group......for FP's, BH's, and BS's.

406unltd

WKR
Take a crank or two off the limbs to confirm weak spine. Either way cutting the shaft to where the insert is only 1/4” from rest will stiffen it up good and be safe in operation. BH are like women. They like a stiff shaft.🤷🏻‍♂️

MG35

FNG
Mathews v3’s are pretty jam up as far as spine sensitivity is concerned. You could slide your rest back 1/2”-3/4” and chop 1 a little over an inch off your arrow if you can get away with it, go with less point weight, less insert weight, any of those changes or combination could give your bow the arrow stiffness it needs to continue using the arrows you have. I like shooting my v3 no grip/bare riser - you could also try pulling off the engage over mold and going down 1/2” in draw length. Like the guys said above, another bandaid until you need to buy new arrows would be going down a couple turns on the limbs (+/- 6 lbs).

Because spine charts are relative info, a couple spines up to what is recommended will always keep you in the clear…