Mathews V3 Arrow selection

Zac

WKR
There is, if you look at my post I referenced forgiveness. This becomes much less critical if you are a professional archer with impeccable form. It is not unknown knowledge that an archer shooting way too stiff will have more flyers than a properly spined shaft. It is much more probable that these flyers occur when you are releasing on an animal under stress. There are advantages and reasons to being overspined. I could go into these but just know that they are performance based, not forgiveness based.

OP
B
***Status update!
Went to the shop and picked up my V3 31. It pulled 79.6 on the scales at the shop. I had them test my vertix and it pulled exactly 75 just like it did at the shop it was purchased from so I trust the scales. I also shortened up my 260 shafts by about an inch. So they’re now 28in and they shoot fantastic. That’s with 125gr head and standard insert. They also shoot and group just as good with 100gr heads. Theyre consistently hitting right where I’m aiming ( give or take an inch or so all the way out to 40yds so far). Not to mention they’re also hauling ass. I asked them at the shop about the spine since their owner is on the BOD at easton. Turns out the axis is on the weaker end of the spectrum as far as spines are concerned. So a 260 isn’t quite as stiff in that line of arrow as other brands in a similar spine. My FOC I’m not sure about but I can tweak it if need be but right now I just don’t see the need. Thank you all for your help!

Good deal. My VXRs with 75# mods also pull close to 80#. Been using axis 5mm for 4-5 years with 75gr brass and 100gr heads with no complaints or reason to change. Have fun with the process.

We aren't talking about the kind of overspine you see for indoor shooting. That's a totally different ball game. Moving up a spine on the charts isn't the same as a 100 or 200 spine arrow out of a 50 or 60# bow with 200-250 up front.

I was under the impression you underspine for 3D? That is what I do and other people I shoot with as well. You get a tail kick but the point goes where it is supposed too.

I was under the impression you underspine for 3D? That is what I do and other people I shoot with as well. You get a tail kick but the point goes where it is supposed too.

Yes, outdoor it's frequent to underspine. Indoors is frequently overspined to shoot large diameter.

Easton produces a target spine chart, recommending a weaker spine for outdoor target archery.

Yes, outdoor it's frequent to underspine. Indoors is frequently overspined to shoot large diameter.

Easton produces a target spine chart, recommending a weaker spine for outdoor target archery.

Ah, okay. I've never seriously done the indoor game. I know you get heavier set ups to run, I didn't know you overspined as well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
FWIW, I heard Tim Gillingham say (on Kifarucast, I think) that spine doesn't really matter one way or the other (over, under, or spot on). I'm not claiming he's 100% right or wrong, just pointing out that there's a diversity of opinion amongst experts/world class shooters about the importance of "optimal" spine.
I would tend to agree with Tim from personal experience as I shoot 300's, 250's, and 200's at 75lbs and almost 33" draw. There isn't much consistency difference between any of those arrows, even at long range.

Zac

WKR
I would tend to agree with Tim from personal experience as I shoot 300's, 250's, and 200's at 75lbs and almost 33" draw. There isn't much consistency difference between any of those arrows, even at long range.
Mathews is very flexible when it comes to spine flexibility. Probably one of the best benefits to a binary cam.

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
***Status update!
Went to the shop and picked up my V3 31. It pulled 79.6 on the scales at the shop. I had them test my vertix and it pulled exactly 75 just like it did at the shop it was purchased from so I trust the scales. I also shortened up my 260 shafts by about an inch. So they’re now 28in and they shoot fantastic. That’s with 125gr head and standard insert. They also shoot and group just as good with 100gr heads. Theyre consistently hitting right where I’m aiming ( give or take an inch or so all the way out to 40yds so far). Not to mention they’re also hauling ass. I asked them at the shop about the spine since their owner is on the BOD at easton. Turns out the axis is on the weaker end of the spectrum as far as spines are concerned. So a 260 isn’t quite as stiff in that line of arrow as other brands in a similar spine. My FOC I’m not sure about but I can tweak it if need be but right now I just don’t see the need. Thank you all for your help!
When did you order your V3? I placed an order for one with my local shop on the Realesed Date back in Nov, still not in yet.

OP
B
When did you order your V3? I placed an order for one with my local shop on the Realesed Date back in Nov, still not in yet.
I did t have to order it. I got mine at the local pro shop. They had a huge order come in and they were gone in less than a week.

mwebs

WKR
I’m going to piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one.. I got a V3, 70# draw, 28.5 DL, 27.5 inch arrow shaft, FMJ 5mm 340 spine. Coming in at 453 grains with a 100 grain BH. Looking to bump up to 125 grain BH but getting conflicting info on the spine.. Thoughts on if that 340 spine is still fine?

I’m going to piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one.. I got a V3, 70# draw, 28.5 DL, 27.5 inch arrow shaft, FMJ 5mm 340 spine. Coming in at 453 grains with a 100 grain BH. Looking to bump up to 125 grain BH but getting conflicting info on the spine.. Thoughts on if that 340 spine is still fine?
I have played around a lot with different arrows and weights. Shoot a VXR 70 lbs, 29" arrow. Some may disagree because different things work for different people, but I prefer a stiffer spine and more weight up front which weakens spine. If you are shooting a FMJ with 100 gr you are probably okay. Those are fairly heavy arrows GPI for the spine you have......I try to shoot as stiff a spine arrow with less GPI as I can, which allows for more FOC. My VXR loves the 600 gr arrows, and the 500 gr arrows.......when I bare shaft tune the 550 gr arrows struggle. There is so much tinkering you can do with this stuff and I enjoy doing that stuff. Either way, nobody can truly know how your arrows are performing other then you and testing it with different tuning methods. I get nearly bullet holes with bareshafts at 20 yards with my setup most of the time. When I don't it is me, not the setup.

406unltd

WKR
If broadheads tuned well with the old bow you aren’t going to see any difference with the new one. Pretty much the same bow as far as how it’s gonna transfer energy to the arrow so long as the poundage and draw lengths are the same.

If broadheads tuned well with the old bow you aren’t going to see any difference with the new one. Pretty much the same bow as far as how it’s gonna transfer energy to the arrow so long as the poundage and draw lengths are the same.
I agree with that 100%. If you were good before, you'll be good now.

406unltd

WKR
You could try to BH tune it and if it doesn’t want to tune then cut those arrows from the back a little at a time to see if you can stiffen it up enough.