Mathews v3 set ups

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Not to high jack the thread by any means, but for the guys who have put arrows through their V3s, are you using the stock strings or did you go custom? Mine isn't supposed to be here until the beginning of June, which will only give me three months until I head for Oregon. Thinking about getting a set of Catfish X99s coming on the off chance I see issues with the zebras, which should help avoid any tail chasing with only a few months until seasons open.

flyboy214

FNG
Not to high jack the thread by any means, but for the guys who have put arrows through their V3s, are you using the stock strings or did you go custom? Mine isn't supposed to be here until the beginning of June, which will only give me three months until I head for Oregon. Thinking about getting a set of Catfish X99s coming on the off chance I see issues with the zebras, which should help avoid any tail chasing with only a few months until seasons open.
I run catfish X99 on a helix ultra and they came in right on spec. The tune hasn't moved. Also impressed with 60X. Not a huge fan of zebra strings.

OP
Mackenzieb91
On my vxr I didn’t even shoot a single arrow through the zebras, put a set of gas ghost on it immediately. And I just ordered a another set for my v3 last week. They also are deadly and hold tune great.

tr_okla

FNG
Running the stock here. Not the best serving job I’ve ever seen but they’ll do for now. I usually swap them after the first yr and keep for a backup.

Wheels

WKR
I bought a V3 yesterday and had the shop order a set of custom strings to put on before we set the bow up. Never had much luck with Zebra strings.

CB4

WKR
I bought a set of GAS string and they still haven't shown up. Been over 6 weeks. About to cancel my order and go with ABB

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a set of GAS string and they still haven't shown up. Been over 6 weeks. About to cancel my order and go with ABB
I'm on 5 weeks for a set of ghost xv. It said 4 weeks though so I'm not tripping yet

CB4

WKR
I'm on 5 weeks for a set of ghost xv. It said 4 weeks though so I'm not tripping yet
Exactly what I ordered as well. When I ordered they said 3 week. Got the run around and now they are expediting my order and it will be shipped tomorrow or Monday at the latest. I hope they live up to the hype.

flyboy214

FNG
I finally have an update! The V3 is awaiting shipment. Anybody else get good news recently?

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered the vec99 strings from catfish customs for my v3 31 to replace the stock strings and I haven't even shot the bow yet.

zach12321

FNG
I've put about 200 shots on the zebras not impressed. Was going to order some GAS strings but with those shipping delays may have to go another route.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
I've put about 200 shots on the zebras not impressed. Was going to order some GAS strings but with those shipping delays may have to go another route.
That's what steered me away from gas as well. But I wanted to try catfish customs anyways, have heard great things.

gelton

WKR
I had some peep rotation with the stock zebra strings but after about 250 shots it seems to have settled in nicely. Like others have said, I usually shoot the stock strings for a year and then replace them and keep the stock for a backup.

I haven't tried many custom strings - Winners choice (which isnt what I would call custom these days) and 60x and both had as much or more rotation than the stock strings which was Winners Choice on an Elite and whatever Mathews was using back when they made the Switchback.

After watching some interviews with the founder from GAS, he seems to know his stuff to a point that when I do switch I will probably be getting GAS strings.

gelton

WKR
Well, I retract my statement above...had some center serving separation on the Zebra strings, and when I brought it in to be re-served the bow tech nicked my string so it had to be replaced. After I had finally got everything settled in and tuned nicely of course.

They had gas strings in stock that I got for 30% off and another free zebra string for a backup.

It's like a totally different bow. Much smoother draw and shot and gained quite a bit of speed as well. I didn't measure on a chrono but was about 14" high at 60 compared to the stock strings.

As mentioned, I have bought aftermarket strings in the past and didn't notice any significant benefits from the stock strings but in this case it was an obvious improvement.

For those that don't want to wait on a set of strings from Gas, check your local pro shops...they probably won't be the ghost strings (mine aren't) but they are definitely a noticeable upgrade.

Anyone set up their V3 with a Spider offset bracket on the front?

I just bought one and am not sure it fits properly due to the width of the mounting surface on the riser. I can post a picture later, but this is what I'm referring to. I wanted to try to offset a front stabilizer and just use a front stabilizer instead of using a front and back bar.

This is what it looks like mounted. Not sure if there’s another way to mount it with out it being crooked.

6714db9a81dd1a07e3f2d59497a39039.jpg

2eafd9c9cae2f2bdcbd9746eddc1f104.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Watching my zebra string closely as it’s my first Matthews but 500’s shots so far so good. If I can get a season out of them I’ll be pleased then put some customs on.

Havoc

FNG
Bought my first bow a few weeks back, can’t say enough about how much I enjoy shooting it. Being semi retired I have plenty of time to learn and shoot.

Attachments

• 02C2F9A7-8070-45FB-8C4D-6685E71C34C6.jpeg
    02C2F9A7-8070-45FB-8C4D-6685E71C34C6.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 45

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Found a local shop with one last Tueday.

Bow-
V3 31
29 Draw/65#
Mathews 6 Arrow Web Quiver
Fast Eddie XL Double Fiber
Hamskea Pro Rest
8 in Stabilizer - Front
6 in Stabilizer - Rear
Atlas Vbar
Ultraview Grip

Arrows-
300 Sirius Apollos
100gr Ethics Inserts
125gr Iron Wills (haven't decided which I'm going to order yet)