Mathews V3 Speed question

TKinMS

FNG
Just picked up a new V3 setup at 30” draw, 85% let off, and 70lb draw weight. Ran it through the chronograph today and was showing about 275 FPS shooting an arrow weight of 345 grains. My instant gut feeling is that this is low for the bow setup and arrow weight. Any insight from anyone?

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same bow, 70lb maxed out, drawing 30” shooting a 515 gr arrow. It clocks repeatedly at 286 to 288 FPS.

I have the same bow - 460ish weight arrow 29.5” draw at 70# shooting right around 300……that can’t be right….

OP
T

TKinMS

FNG
Thanks for the replies. That was my feeling just needed some confirmation

Brizzle

FNG
The speed is definitely off, also I think shooting under 5gpp voids the warranty. I’d up the weight a little. I’d imagine you might possibly be under spined too. I don’t know of many, if any, 300 spine hunting arrows that will come in that light

Wheels

WKR
Something is off. My V3 is 28" draw, 80% mods and 60 lbs. With a 425 gr arrow I was at 272 fps., shooting 475 grain arrow now and am at 262 fps.

Read1t48

WKR
I’m c
Something is off. My V3 is 28" draw, 80% mods and 60 lbs. With a 425 gr arrow I was at 272 fps., shooting 475 grain arrow now and am at 262 fps.
For every 5 grains added, you should expect to lose 1-1.5’ per/sec.
You added 50 grains and lost 10’ per/sec.

That’s exactly what should be expected.
I would be happy with that speed and shoot the heavier arrow to a perfect tune.

Wheels

WKR
I’m c

For every 5 grains added, you should expect to lose 1-1.5’ per/sec.
You added 50 grains and lost 10’ per/sec.

That’s exactly what should be expected.
I would be happy with that speed and shoot the heavier arrow to a perfect tune.
Got it right where I want it, shoots great and can screw any fixed blade head on and they land with my field points.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
I had some difficulty getting used to my bow. Ended up getting help with adjusting top hats and getting it tuned with the rest at center. After that I picked up 3-4 FPS and bow started shooting more consistently…or I did. Anyway, I like it, but it’s not as forgiving as my 17 year old Hoyt XTec with its 7” brace height. I LOVE the performance and I’ll be practicing with it a lot more till the confidence is there for >40 yard shots. I found the bow is more stable if I put more pressure on the back wall, isn’t as torque prone. It does shoot incredibly quite and shock free.

How are you all liking the V3? wondering if i should spend the money?
It’s a quick bow, cam roll over for me forced to sell it. Old shoulder injury was unbearable with this bow. Weird, no issues with current old bow. It’s a nice bow though, no questions .

How are you all liking the V3? wondering if i should spend the money?
nice bow but i just sold mine and am going back to the vertix. got a deal on a mint one and the vertix string angle anchors perfect for me. v3 31 not as much. I think with the v3 the roller guard and past parallel limbs make it a little easier to draw, but other than that the last 3 years (vertix vxr, v3) the only real difference is the string angle and finding which angle fits you the best. id wait until the new mathews comes out and everyone dumps their v3s id you want the best deal

MG35

FNG
Just picked up a new V3 setup at 30” draw, 85% let off, and 70lb draw weight. Ran it through the chronograph today and was showing about 275 FPS shooting an arrow weight of 345 grains. My instant gut feeling is that this is low for the bow setup and arrow weight. Any insight from anyone?
Very very similar specs to my set up buddy. Yes, that absolutely does seem a little slow. I’ve had 2 v3 31’s and one thing that has always bothered me about them is that one (the one I just sold) would pull 73 lb with 70 lb mods however the other would pull 67 lbs with 70 lb mods. Even with new vapor trail strings on it and 1k arrows thru it. No change still 67. I know we’re talking about speed and I’m going on a tangent about draw weight but my point is
-all other things equal no one v3 is going to have same speed as next.-

lastly, my bow shop loves to give arrow weights without field points on them. Is there a chance that the arrow weight you specified did not include point weight?

that sure would explain a lot…just my $0.02