Mathews V3X any cons or problems?

I have a VXR 28 and a V3X 29, both great bows. The only problem with the V3X 29 is that performance wise its no better than the Vertix, VXR or V3. Its a few fps slower than my VXR 28. If you want to use the bridgelock then the V3X is the only option. The stay afield system is pretty nice as well. Otherwise, you might look into a vertix/vxr/v3 for a good price or wait and see what Mathews releases next month.

Only issue I think youll probably hear is about the zebra strings, but thats not specific to the V3X. I change strings yearly and have always went the first year with the zebras without any issues. Others change the zebras out as soon as they buy the bow.

Also not V3X specific, sometimes the bearings go bad in the cams, but if you are the original owner Mathews will cover that under warranty and send a whole new cam. A lot of that is, IMO, people overtightening the axle screws.

OP
wyoguy03

wyoguy03

FNG
Thanks for the info I had seen complaints about cams, considered used but kinda leary of a used bow plus having a warranty is nice

TheTone

WKR
My only con is that I still don’t have one after wanting one for almost a year.

Thanks for the info I had seen complaints about cams, considered used but kinda leary of a used bow plus having a warranty is nice
The cam bearings is an easy fix there is a YouTube video on it on how to replace and purchase Japanese bearings.

I prefer the vxr and vertixs as I don't like how stressed the past parallel v3s limbs are. The differences between the lines are miniscule imo. Mostly comes down to string angle

Last edited:

RAPTOR

WKR
The Vertix was my favorite bow they ever made. The V3X 29 has replaced it, and I bought another in the classifieds as a back up bow. Interested to see what they come out with in November.

The bridge lock is nice. The v3x 33 is more balanced left to right than my v3 31. But if you are running a back bar then that doesn’t really matter much. For me as a longer draw (31”), the string angle is much better for the v3x. I don’t see myself upgrading again for a while because I can shoot both really well and the v3x feels so good to shoot. They’d have to come out with something completely revolutionary to get me to even consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
As above I have the VXR 28 the V3 31 and the V3X 29 all good shooters but I love my VXR 28. They all feel pretty close the way they draw to me the V3X does balance a little better then the others. I like the bridge lock just cause it looks sleek the stay afield is nice to have. If I had it to do over I probably would have got another VXR 28 for a backup. It might just be a confidence thing but I shoot my VXR better then the others. I’m a 29 inch draw and the short ata does not bother me at all. I will say none of my bows draw as nice as my bowtech Realm in comfort not my hoyt not Mathews not pse not bear not Martin or my old Parker’s.. all these new bows are all good bows just comes down to what you think feels good.

Yooper

WKR
V3X 33 shooter here. No issues at all with me. First bow I've used where I feel zero need for stabilizers front or back. I'm using an integrated site (MBG Dual Trac) and the Mathews low pro quiver so things are just much more closer to the center of the riser. It's just been a super stable platform across the board for me. I honestly don't know if I would even make any changes even if I could.

I've been shooting bowtech reign 7 for a number of years and just got a v3x 33. I'll agree that the weight closer to center of riser seems to make a notable difference so right now it doesn't have a back bar like my reigns. However, even though the balance from a back bar might not be as helpful, I think i might want a little more weight on it as that seems to help me hold steadier.

Been shooting mine all summer and haven’t had a single issue. I came from the halon series and had to get used to the draw cycle but after you get used to it, it’s fine.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I probably just have bad luck but my vertix limbs cracked twice. Not dry fired or anything like that . I heard the limb splinter when I drew back.

Bought a new v3x 33 6 weeks ago. 2 weeks later same thing happened one of the limbs has a small flake.. Now almost a month later and I haven't heard from the shop on when the limbs will be shipped ..

I have one it’s great. Still hunting with my Vertix though. Maybe just a confidence thing

G.Cook

FNG
Just curious if anyone has had any issues or failures with mathews V3X
I just purchased my V3X 33 and mounted a Garmin A1I Pro. I had to separately buy from Garmin the adapter to utilize the bridgelock system. It does balance the bow a lot better opposed to mounting this sight on the side. I also have a low pro quiver and Mathews integrated arrow rest. The bow is heavier because of the sight but it really does balance well and as you know shoots very well.

kcm2

WKR
FWIW, I bought a V3X 29 last April. My only complaint is the valley is very short.If you don't hold your anchor back, it will quickly try to pull your arm off at the elbow. It's accurate, forgiving and quiet. But your form has to be right. I'm told the 90% letoff mods have a longer valley.

The “bearing failures” are caused by operator error. Torquing down on the limb bolts too hard/all the way. Not saying that shouldn’t be addressed, because that shouldn’t happen if you chose to tighten down the limb bolts. But if you don’t touch them then you will not have issues. If you’re looking for more speed just go with the 75 lb mod and call it good

Pramo

WKR
I have a v3x 33 it’s a really nice bow and the the bridge lock sight makes a difference in balance and a good bit of sights will fit. I’ll only shoot bows that I can balance perfect so I skipped the entire Halon series.

If you go with the two piece and a bridge lock sight it all just fits and keeps the overall weight down on the bow. Mathews really has the accessory market locked up for their bows

DBED0356-A3F3-49EA-8C77-0A10ACD070C4.jpeg

My two big cons are weight and draw cycle. The bow feels like a chunk of metal as you hike with it. The draw is heavy all the way through but smooth. The bow is a shooter though.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I owned one for about 10 months shot a couple thousand arrows out of it. It is a nice bow, tunes decent, very dead shot and quiet. Draw cycle is meh, speed was good. I sold the bow because me and the grip couldn't' get along and that was after several after market attempts. I think it's dumb mathews can't measure or chooses not to so every mod is between 1/8 and 1/2 inch longer than marked...... thats about all the data I have on it.

Sizthediz

WKR
Find one and shoot it first. I just recently sold a v3 27. It felt soo good but the string angle just didn't fit me. Try before you buy. I just picked up a phase 4 after shooting first. Same thing with the grip . Best grip I ever used was the pse bowmadness slim grip. Took me a little while to get used to the engage grip but really seems to fit me
Try before you buy