Mathews VXR 31.5 String change tips

MT257

WKR
I just got my EZ Green press set up and should have new strings in the next week or so for my vxr 31.5. Does anyone have any great resources showing step by step? I have use the search on here and on the web with little success. Seems what I have found is that the videos on the web fast forward the "nuts and bolts" of the string change out and focus on other items. I just have never had to take axles out before to swap strings. Any insight or pointers would be appreciated!

I just got my EZ Green press set up and should have new strings in the next week or so for my vxr 31.5. Does anyone have any great resources showing step by step? I have use the search on here and on the web with little success. Seems what I have found is that the videos on the web fast forward the "nuts and bolts" of the string change out and focus on other items. I just have never had to take axles out before to swap strings. Any insight or pointers would be appreciated!
The best method I have used is taking both cams out at the same time with everything still attached. You have to start by pressing the limbs, then removing the two screws that hold the roller guard in place, this can be challenging because once you get one side out the whole thing want to spin so I bought some non-marking slip joint pliers to hold the barrel in place while I turn the screws out. Take pictures of the cable orientation in the roller guard because it's really easy to get it backwards.

Then you can remove the axles. I usually just remove one screw from the closest side and push out with an allen key.

Lift both cams out at the same time and set them on a workbench or table.

Now you can start replacing the yokes, cables, and string. Remove one loop at a time and replace as you go, this way you as less likely to miss something.

When it comes to the yoke splitters, just take your time working the loop around the splitter making sure to keep the twists in the cable.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I don't recall having much issue with it. I pulled a cam at a time to do the yokes, then routed the cable to the other cam.

I have seen several change tune after strings/cables. I suspect that the "Donut" in the yoke doesn't get back to the exact same position and it changes things slightly. They have the loops opposing on that donut from the factory, one is loop from the riser side, one is loop from shooter side, I don't know that it matters but I put them back how they were. The position of the loop on the donut is likely what changes the tune as it changes balance on the yokes slightly. It definitely settles out but can still be just a little different from where it was before.

Just take pictures before of everything so if you find yourself with stuff pulled apart questioning your memory, you got something to double check.

And find something with padded jaws to hold the cable guard roller.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
I suspect that the "Donut" in the yoke doesn't get back to the exact same position and it changes things slightly. They have the loops opposing on that donut from the factory, one is loop from the riser side, one is loop from shooter side, I don't know that it matters but I put them back how they were. The position of the loop on the donut is likely what changes the tune as it changes balance on the yokes slightly.
Are the yoke loops not symmetrical?

Are the yoke loops not symmetrical?

The yokes are just a loop. That donut slides on the loop. It was a problem before the Top Hat system. If the cable loop on the donut isn't in the exact same place it will change the pull that donut makes on the yoke very slightly. I think anyways.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
The yokes are just a loop. That donut slides on the loop. It was a problem before the Top Hat system. If the cable loop on the donut isn't in the exact same place it will change the pull that donut makes on the yoke very slightly. I think anyways.
I’m following now. Makes sense.