Mathews Z7 Xtreme vs Triax

I have the Z7 Xtreme and I like it. But I have an option to buy a Triax at a good price from someone I know. It seems like a solid upgrade. Any thoughts to the contrary or is it a no-brainer?

HuntWyld

WKR
I stuck with the solo cam due to reliability and ease of tuning. Could of bought any of the newer Mathews dual cam production bows but went with the Z2 instead... call me crazy

OXN939

WKR
I stuck with the solo cam due to reliability and ease of tuning. Could of bought any of the newer Mathews dual cam production bows but went with the Z2 instead... call me crazy

+1. I picked up a new Z3 for $400 earlier this year. It's an awesome bow that costs less than half as much as some of these new double cammed gigs.

Last edited:
what are the draw length and poundage on your Z7? I might be willing to take it off your hands if you upgrade.

Zac

WKR
The Triax is such an odd bow, I would say no way due to its size but so many people shoot it incredibly. I think with your draw length you would really like it. It's going to be far more dead in the hand than your older model for sure. Probably get a good deal more power as well.

Hun10-freak

Lil-Rokslider
I own a Z7 Etreme and a Triax, there both great bows. I personally like the extra speed of the Triax and how dead in the hand it is. Mathews did a great job when engineering this bow. That being said I still really like my Z7.

OP
WhatToHunt
I ended up buying the Triax after I shot it side by side with my Z7 Xtreme. The Triax is so dead in the hand like everyone says. I've been shooting it and so far so good. True test will come this fall! And I'll keep the Z7 Xtreme as a back up bow.

mlgc20

WKR
When the Triax came out I went to the local shop and shot all the usual flagship bows. It ended up being an easy choice going with the Triax. I go back each year to shoot all the new bows. Haven't found one yet that makes me want to replace the Triax. It's not for everyone. Nor is any bow. That's why it's so important to shoot everything you can and make your own informed decision. Best of luck this season with the new setup.

Zac

WKR
Nock travel will be substantially better as well. I don't know if the old Mathews allow for the use of tophats or not, but they make tuning a dream.