Matthews Vertix - Review

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I bought a Matthews Vertix. I am new to bow hunting, last year was my 3rd year and previously I had used a Diamond SB Deploy (significantly upgraded) and a Mission Ballistic 2.0. Wanting to upgrade to a bit faster, flagship bow, I chose the Vertix.

A year later, after putting about 100 arrows through it (I know not a whole lot) over the summer, I wanted to write a quick review for those folks out here on Rokslide... That said, based on some reading here probably a controversial review.

I can quickly sum up my experience and review with this... I just sold the bow on Ebay and shipped it out yesterday.

For those Matthews fan boys (or gals), before you get your panties (boxers) in a wad, let me say my peace and observations on it.

Matthews makes great gear. I loved my Mission (although it has been sold too - but mainly because I am bow heavy). The Vertix just wasn't for me and what I am looking for in a bow.

Here are some reasons why...
1. Matthews can be a real PITA to change cables on... I found this out when I needed to restring my Mission. The fact you have to completely remove axles/cams to put on new cables - in this day and age seems ridiculous. I know there is awesome engineering reason for this, but as a consumer for my needs, it just doesn't work.
2. The bow at anchor was un-freaking-forgiving... I mean the slightest flinch of any move settling into my anchor and it wants to jerk the string off my face. I have owned 7 bows now, and I know some of them do that, but this one did it very radically. And yes, I locked my back in like I should. I pretty much tried everything and I guess my body type or shooting style just did not "mind meld" with the needs of this bow.
3. Ease of tuning... Shims, top hats, draw length mod swaps... Can we spell prehistoric engineering?? Granted just like a revolver, such rudimentary engineering is very reliable, but just like a revolver you loose a lot of modern options. Bows should be able to be tuned with an allen wrench and by the average human being. Given my closest dealer is over an hour away, and Matthews could care less, I needed a more easily tuned, idiot proof bow.
4. Loooooonnnnnnnnngggggg draw length... The draw length on both my Mission and Matthews bows push the spectrum of acceptable. My Mission runs 29.7 with a 29" mod on it - and that is with new strings. My Mattews ran 30.6 with the 30" mod on it.
5. Matthews Dealer Screwed me... The dealer who sold the bow, in spite of my telling him I my draw length was 29.5: a) put 30" inch mods on it b) should have known to try 29" mods and then maybe move to 29.5 mods. Some of these other problems (2 for instance) may have been exacerbated by this. It seems to be pretty common knowledge Matthews bows run long.
6. In this modern era it makes no sense that one should have to spend $50 to change your draw length. Lots of bow companies have figured this out - even on flagship bows. Especially given the fact that actual draw length on a bow is not exacting. It varies a lot, even between sets of strings. How may DL modules do I have to own, 2, 3, 4 to accommodate changes in my bow, strings, and me?
7. It was a relatively heavy bow for such a compact form factor. I am a realist and I know there are tradeoffs in engineering with weight (absence or gain) in a device like a bow - but this one was heavier than needed to give you the positives of those tradeoffs.
8. It was not dead in my hand... I felt this bow when I shot it. My Mission was dead in my hand. My Diamond is mostly dead in my hand (I think the carbon riser has a bit of vibration to it because of its lightness). My new bows dead in my hand. My Vertix, not so much.
9. Top heavy bow. Without a good back stabilizer this bow is very top heavy. For east coast hunting I don't want to have to have the frankenstein stabilizer set up to just keep this bow balanced as I shoot. More so, this forces a bit firmer grip which tended to make my groups a bit less conistent.
10. Grip... My hand never felt right when gripping this bow. In fact, I had never given a bow grip a second thought, thought they all felt the same, but for some reason this one did not and my hand felt like it needed to "grab" the grip.

In the end, I decided to sell it not because it was a crappy bow - in fact it is a beautiful and solid bow - but because it did not fit my shooting style or ownership needs. Unfortunately while I have largely cut my teeth in my bow life with Matthews bows, I am moving away from them. They seem to be stuck in their thinking and design (which is not always a bad thing); somewhat rehashing designs (really what IS the difference between the Vertix and VXR??); want to go with short brace more unforgiving bows; and stick to older more rudimentary engineering designs.

For me, I need a bow that is as forgiving as possible on all fronts (I wanna kill things with it, not shoot targets under controlled conditions); that I can tune without having to have a bow shop (although I do now thanks to Matthews); and that I don't have to waste arrow money on changing my draw length et al...

I know a LOT of you guys are Matthews fans... I am sorry, my choice was to change.

Luke Stephens

Rob5589

WKR
Did you just bash Mathews on a public forum?! You're a brave soul.

It is ridiculous to have to swap mods to change draw length. Hell, even my low budget PSE Stinger has easily changed DL with an allen wrench. I have shot a bunch of brands over the years but Mathews never was a good fit for me.

appreciate the honest review, sounds almost spot on from shooting it myself, though the one i shot was dead in the hand and very quiet, just as my triax was. the 2 biggest downfalls to me was mass weight and draw cycle... the draw is smooth, but very stiff.

i do think mathews builds a great bow, just not my style. bow feel is very subjective but there is a fair list of mathews trends that i don't care for.... i loved my chill r several years ago, but since that bow, they aren't for me (though i shot a triax for a year)

they would have to do something monumental to make me even consider one.... i shoot a mach 1 right now and the only bow i could imagine buying is a backup mach 1 ;)

people get touchy about mathews criticism.... you will offend people less talkin' about they baby mama

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Did you just bash Mathews on a public forum?! You're a brave soul.

It is ridiculous to have to swap mods to change draw length. Hell, even my low budget PSE Stinger has easily changed DL with an allen wrench. I have shot a bunch of brands over the years but Mathews never was a good fit for me.
Not the first time I threw myself out of a perfectly good airplane to test the winds (wind dummy :) ).

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
appreciate the honest review, sounds almost spot on from shooting it myself, though the one i shot was dead in the hand and very quiet, just as my triax was. the 2 biggest downfalls to me was mass weight and draw cycle... the draw is smooth, but very stiff.

i do think mathews builds a great bow, just not my style. bow feel is very subjective but there is a fair list of mathews trends that i don't care for.... i loved my chill r several years ago, but since that bow, they aren't for me (though i shot a triax for a year)

they would have to do something monumental to make me even consider one.... i shoot a mach 1 right now and the only bow i could imagine buying is a backup mach 1 ;)

people get touchy about mathews criticism.... you will offend people less talkin' about they baby mama
Mine felt dead in my hand at first, but as I had to adjust my grip to get it to shoot right over the past year, that changed.

I think Matthews, a lot like Glocks in the gun world, is not innovating - or innovating along very singular, restricted (what they know) lines. That is always sad for a company with such history of innovation. I originally picked Matthews for my first non economy bows because they seemed to be "innovators" (on paper)... they had more patents, more bow companies were paying them royalties for their IP... etc.

But I agree, its subjective and relative to a person's shooting style and needs. Not really bashing "Matthews" bashing that Matthews doesn't work for me.

Thanks for adding the stiff draw cycle, I had forgotten that one to. The let down cycle is pretty tough too.

stump06

WKR
Man I had a triax and it was the best bow I ever shot. I think it goes back to the piece of advice I give guys when they ask me what's the "best" bow... you gotta go shoot several to see what you like. What you said about Mathews can be said about a lot of bow companies. Hoyt makes a great bow but I feel like they have been stagnant for years. Their 2020 bow doesn't feel any different to me than my 2014 CS 34.

Man I had a triax and it was the best bow I ever shot. I think it goes back to the piece of advice I give guys when they ask me what's the "best" bow... you gotta go shoot several to see what you like. What you said about Mathews can be said about a lot of bow companies. Hoyt makes a great bow but I feel like they have been stagnant for years. Their 2020 bow doesn't feel any different to me than my 2014 CS 34.
the rx-4 may not seem different than the rest of hoyt carbons, unless you own one and see how well and easy it tunes vs it's predecessors. the small changes made to the rx-4 were pretty significant, just not from the outside... they certainly aren't as light as they should be, but it's a refined system.

i think the only true innovators the past few years is APA..... for the hunting market, they have some awesome features. pretty rudimentary cam system, but can do anything you need need without a press (their cam pin, and now their cable guard too) for being such a small company compared to the big names, it's almost embarrassing what they have been able to do vs the big companies with huge R&D teams and massive marketing budgets.... APA bows are very under rated.... their speeds are inflated, but they are still fast bows (almost everybody inflated ibo)

how did all of the big companies let APA be the first bow that can be fully tuned without a press? like i said, nobody talks about it or cares on an APA, but some big company finally does it and it's game changing, haha....

the truth is, everybody makes a great bow these days, but we all have different tastes and needs

Fatcamp

WKR
Honestly, 100 arrows in a year on a bow with the incorrect draw length doesn't really give you a whole lot of data to form an opinion.

I recently did the same thing. Researched and went with a bow that requires some annoying trial and error to get right, but with the proper mods and tune it really suites me. Reminds me, I need to sell a bag of mods. 🙃

kda082

WKR
I’ll admit I like Mathews. Also like Hoyts and Elites. I had a rocky start with my Vertix but cranked her down 1.5 turns and draws way smoother. Have the 60 mods at 29”. She’s a little heavy but holds and shoots dead. Lots of great bows out there.

Zac

WKR
The point that often gets overlooked with Mathews is their incredible nock travel. I got mine due to issues tuning a Hoyt Defiant. I have plenty of points of contention with Mathews, (mainly their awful strings.) However Mathews and Prime have the least nock travel in the game. There is something wonderful about being able to set your nock in the middle of the string and get a perfect bullet hole with the correct timing.