Maven 10x42 or 12x42?

I'm looking for a set of binos for my son. I don't want to go cheap because he's pretty good at spotting game, but don't want something pricey because...well...he's a kid. For those of you that have used Maven C series, would you get the 10×42 or 12×42. Weight is not an issue, just the optic itself.

10 pwer one hundred percent if you're going with a 42mm objective. I own a pair of 10x42 C1s. If you are interested in 12 power binos then consider the 12x50 C3s, but for what you're describing as the use I would stick with the 10x42 C1s.

10x42 C1's aren't bad, but I found them a bit annoying in use because the eyecups wouldn't hold their position. Field of view is also pretty narrow for a bin in their price range, but the image quality was very good.

For my money, the Bushnell Engage 10x42 is a better buy. Eyecups are some of the best I've ever used at any price, the diopter locks in place, and the image quality is excellent. At $208, if he loses them it's not the end of the world.

They will be tripod mounted at least half the time. Glassing the sagebrush sea for mulies mostly.

10x 42 C1 is my jam. Loving life with those. I would not lose any more field of view by moving to 12x. It was more of a question of 8x vs. 10x to me and I'm doing the same thing as you in Idaho. 10x is such a nice sweet spot. Pair with your 15x or spotter of your choice and you are set up to spot some serious game.

This is all for when you aren't killing it with your bear bait sites so you might as well just buy some binos as Walmart since you don't need to glass bears at your site. 😆

OP
B
10x 42 C1 is my jam. Loving life with those. I would not lose any more field of view by moving to 12x. It was more of a question of 8x vs. 10x to me and I'm doing the same thing as you in Idaho. 10x is such a nice sweet spot. Pair with your 15x or spotter of your choice and you are set up to spot some serious game.

This is all for when you aren't killing it with your bear bait sites so you might as well just buy some binos as Walmart since you don't need to glass bears at your site. 😆
I use high end optics at my bait sites to make sure the bears have all their teeth before I shoot em. Nothing worse than a bear mount with missing teeth!

IdahoHntr

WKR
I own the 12x42s and love them. I won't ever go back to 10x binos. I did the trial program of both the 10s and 12s when buying them. I don't have any issues hand holding the 12s and when I'm glassing I have them on a tripod whether they are 10s or 12s. I spotted an antler tip at 60 yards when stalking through the trees up on a bull last year. Thats after I spotted that same bull several miles away off the tripod. The 12s worked perfect in both scenarios. I know they aren't for everybody, but especially if you spend a lot of time on the tripod and glass long distances, the 12s really are magic.

I was a little worried because people told me the exit pupil would be too small on a 12x42, but real world low light performance was on par with the 10x42s and on par with other binos I have looked through. I do not feel like I am giving up anything in low light performance. I can't say I even noticed a difference. There might be a difference in the 12x42 vs the 12x50, but I haven't gotten my hands on a pair of 12x50s to check it out.

I've got a NIB set of C3's 12x50 that I have been wanting to sale. They are a nice set of glass for the money, I just prefer my Viper's.

Blue72

WKR
12x is to close to 10x handheld and you loose FIeld of view with slightly more shake

If your going to mount, you might as well skip straight to 15/16x