Maven 10x42 or 9x45

Maven users any major difference. What’s the major difference between the B series B1, B2, etc? Looking to upgrade. I primary whitetail hunt in Iowa but have a Wyoming elk hunt planned next year. Looking for good optics for bow hunting and to setup on a tripod out West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
The B1 and B2 use a different prism (SP and AK respectively). The B1's are lighter and smaller, with a bit less light transmission. The B2's are bigger, and heavier, with better light transmission, and a "field flattening element" as I recall.

***The B2's will be noticably brighter due to the larger objective (45 vs 42mm) and the prism which allows more light through, as well as the 9x vs 10x magnification.

Ergonomically I like the B1's, optically, I prefer the B2's.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
The B1 and B2 use a different prism (SP and AK respectively). The B1's are lighter and smaller, with a bit less light transition. The B2's are bigger, and heavier, with better light transmission, and a "field flattening element" as I recall.

Ergonomically I like the B1's, optically, I prefer the B2's.

This is all correct. I am the opposite in preference and prefer handling the larger B2s, but field flattening is wonky to me. I went through both versions of B2s and now have settled on B1s and SLCs in our house.

has anyone tried the maven b4 10x56 ? I demod.b2 9x45 they were nice but thought maybe the 10x56 with such a big exit pupil ….like 5.6 vs. 5mm could be worth a look. thoughts anyone????

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
As stated the prism is the biggest difference. I hunt whitetails in Nebraska, elk, mule deer and antelope in the high plains and mountain west. I have the 9x45 B2’s. They are relatively easy to hold steady while bow hunting and looking into/through the thick stuff and then use them on a tripod out west for finding animals, once and animal is located and if I want or need a better look a high quality lightweight spotter is what I’ll switch to. Everyone has their own system, this is what works for me.

tdot

WKR
Havent tried the Maven's but any handheld bino I've tried with an objective larger then about the mid-40's just feels too large, too much weight, unnecessary, etc.

Now of your talking a 15 x 56mm, on a tripod? That's different.

Also, if I remember correctly. The average human eye cant dilate over 5mm and that decreases with age, so any exit pupil over that is mostly wasted.

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned all the B series, and if I were in your shoes I'd go with the B3 8x30. They are so light and compact that for whitetails you'd never regret it. And although not as good as the B2 in a tripod, they do surprisingly well, even at low light. Perfectly usable in the west when you go and a lot better the rest of the time.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned all the B series, and if I were in your shoes I'd go with the B3 8x30. They are so light and compact that for whitetails you'd never regret it. And although not as good as the B2 in a tripod, they do surprisingly well, even at low light. Perfectly usable in the west when you go and a lot better the rest of the time.

What are your thoughts on the 9x vs 11x B2 for Western Elk searching glass? Would be paired with a spotter or 18x Kaibabs. Carried in a chest harness, but probably used on a tripod 75% of the time.

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned both and you really can't go wrong with either. Also, I don't have any binos in a higher power, so not sure how that will play into your calculus, but I can give you my experience.

Personally I use the 11x 90% of the time even when they're overkillI. I use a tripod as much as I can, but they are not too much to use off hand. I swapped these for my original 9x because I wanted to see just a little further into the shadows, and I can say they meet that need perfectly. I live in and hunt big country, so the extra magnification was worth the hit to field of view, and depth of focus. I couldn't compare them side by side, but I assume the 9x would be better at twilight. That said, I've never been left wanting from the 11x. They are heavy, but being the same weight as the 9x, so for me it was one more for the pro column in the 11's. Once or twice I have wondered if the 9's would be better (mostly for field of view) but I wouldn't go back even if I didn't own the 8x B3.

All that said, since you've got the 18's as well, the 9x may be more versatile. Glassing in the timber, off hand, larger field of view, all the things you'd gain with any smaller power bino will be better. For elk, I guess I'd go 9. Mule deer I'd go 11 But that's just my thinking.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Not seeing them for 642. 1150 for 9x and 1200 for 11x is what I'm getting

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I deleted my post because I went back in and the price changed. I would really hope SIG is obligated to honor the price and still ship me mine. I got the order confirmation and everything. I would be disappointed if they didn't honor it.

WKR
I deleted my post because I went back in and the price changed. I would really hope SIG is obligated to honor the price and still ship me mine. I got the order confirmation and everything. I would be disappointed if they didn't honor it.

I'm confused about the mention of Sig "selling direct".

Maven isn't SIG...

Did you mean that Maven is selling them direct through Amazon?

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I'm confused about the mention of Sig "selling direct".

Maven isn't SIG...

Did you mean that Maven is selling them direct through Amazon?

Sorry, if you read back in my post, Sig was selling the Zulu9s, which are said to be the same thing as the Mavens.