Maven 9x45 vs Vortex Razor UHD 10X42?

CaptnKal

FNG
Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot of comparisons between these two sets on the forms and I'm curious to get your opinion for my situation. As it stands I can get a brand new set of razor UHDs 10x42s for a pretty decent discount of $1,149. I'm fine with the harness it comes with so I wouldn't need to buy another which would also be a cost savings

Alternatively if I get the maven B2 9x45's I plan on getting a marsupial enclosed bino harness which would add an extra $125 to the total. That would put the cost of the maven and harness at more than the razor deal.

For context I've been hunting this past season in Idaho with an old pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x50s. I was successful on deer, elk, and then spring bear this year but I'm definitely ready for an upgrade. Both have great reviews and it seems like Maven used to trump the razor HDs but from what I understand the UHDs are now on par? Curious to get your thoughts and opinions on which would be a better deal.

Thanks!

Both of those binoculars have very good optics but are very big and heavy. I had the Maven B2 9x45. They were good for the price but felt they didn’t get to the level of brightness expected from a unit with Abbe Koenig Prisms.

However, if I was looking in that price range and wasn’t as size/weight conscious as I am - would call Doug at Cameraland and discuss a set of Kowa Genesis 10.5x44. The optics are as good or better than those under consideration, for the same price or less.

Last edited:

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot of comparisons between these two sets on the forms and I'm curious to get your opinion for my situation. As it stands I can get a brand new set of razor UHDs 10x42s for a pretty decent discount of $1,149. I'm fine with the harness it comes with so I wouldn't need to buy another which would also be a cost savings

Alternatively if I get the maven B2 9x45's I plan on getting a marsupial enclosed bino harness which would add an extra $125 to the total. That would put the cost of the maven and harness at more than the razor deal.

For context I've been hunting this past season in Idaho with an old pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x50s. I was successful on deer, elk, and then spring bear this year but I'm definitely ready for an upgrade. Both have great reviews and it seems like Maven used to trump the razor HDs but from what I understand the UHDs are now on par? Curious to get your thoughts and opinions on which would be a better deal.

Thanks!
Thanks for checking out our binos! While I can't speak on the other binos you are looking at, if you have any questions on the UHDs, please let me know!

OP
C

CaptnKal

FNG
Both of those binoculars have very good optics but are very big and heavy. I had the Maven B2 9x45. They were good for the price but felt they didn’t get to the level of brightness expected from a unit with Abbe Koenig Prisms.

However, if I was looking in that price range and wasn’t as size/weight conscious as I am - would call Doug at Cameraland and discuss a set of Kowa Genesis 10.5x44. The optics are as good or better than those under consideration, for the same price or less.
Thanks for the input Spiral Horn! Curious to get your thoughts on the Athlon Cronus G2 10X42s?

I found a pair new for $380 and now am entertaining the idea of getting a set to get me through this fall hunting season while I save for a pair of either ELs or Victory SFs next year rather than trying to get a set of Maven B2s, Razor UHDs, or Kowas at the moment.

bird35

FNG
I have a pair of the Maven b2 9x45 and the Vortex razor uhd 10x42. I feel like they are so close optically that you may want to look through both to see what your eyes prefer. I do not feel like they give up much if any to a pair of Swarovski SLC that i have. I also have a pair of the athlon Cronus g2 10x42 and they are good but i do not like the eyecups to me they would compete with something like the Leupold bx4. I see you are in idaho or mentioned hunting in Idaho. What part if you dont mind me asking, I am in Twin Falls and if you are close we could meet up and you could look through some of the pairs i have to get and idea of what you like. I also have a set of Kowa genesis but mine are 8x33.

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the Maven b2 9x45 about a month ago. Only looked thru them in the backyard. Im currently listing them for $850.00. They are actually great glass for their price range. I am listing them as I had 12 el's but sold them as I couldn't handhold them due to a developing tremor. But after having el's I was spoiled so I want to go with either the 8.5 or 10 el. I know im taking about a 350 hit on the mavens but I should have never bought el's in the beginning. But the mavens I feel are awesome for that range.

OP
C

CaptnKal

FNG
I have a pair of the Maven b2 9x45 and the Vortex razor uhd 10x42. I feel like they are so close optically that you may want to look through both to see what your eyes prefer. I do not feel like they give up much if any to a pair of Swarovski SLC that i have. I also have a pair of the athlon Cronus g2 10x42 and they are good but i do not like the eyecups to me they would compete with something like the Leupold bx4. I see you are in idaho or mentioned hunting in Idaho. What part if you dont mind me asking, I am in Twin Falls and if you are close we could meet up and you could look through some of the pairs i have to get and idea of what you like. I also have a set of Kowa genesis but mine are 8x33.
Thanks for the input! It's great to get perspective for someone who's looked through all the listed options. I'm still on the fence as to waiting to save for true alphas or going for a set of Maven, Kowa, or Razor UHD.

I looked through a bunch of sets such as - Nikon MHGs, Ziess Conquest, Vortex HD and UHD, Swaro Pocket CL, Leupold BX4 Guides at local outdoor stores I really liked the UHDs.

I still haven't been able to get my hands on the mavens yet but sounds like they have a great demo program. I'm based out of the treasure valley but was actually in your next of the woods heading to Montana last month. Being another Idaho local I'm curious to know your preferred bino of choice?

OP
C

CaptnKal

FNG
I just bought the Maven b2 9x45 about a month ago. Only looked thru them in the backyard. Im currently listing them for $850.00. They are actually great glass for their price range. I am listing them as I had 12 el's but sold them as I couldn't handhold them due to a developing tremor. But after having el's I was spoiled so I want to go with either the 8.5 or 10 el. I know im taking about a 350 hit on the mavens but I should have never bought el's in the beginning. But the mavens I feel are awesome for that range.
Thanks for sharing and for the sweet offer! Are these still available? I'd love to see a few pics.

I feel like I've heard this feedback on the EL's a few times from different people. They must be incredible. I'm also on the fence on just saving for a pair instead of pulling the trigger on a near alpha now.

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing and for the sweet offer! Are these still available? I'd love to see a few pics.

I feel like I've heard this feedback on the EL's a few times from different people. They must be incredible. I'm also on the fence on just saving for a pair instead of pulling the trigger on a near alpha now.
The mavens appear to be sold. If it doesnt go thru I will let you know thanks.

bird35

FNG
Thanks for the input! It's great to get perspective for someone who's looked through all the listed options. I'm still on the fence as to waiting to save for true alphas or going for a set of Maven, Kowa, or Razor UHD.

I looked through a bunch of sets such as - Nikon MHGs, Ziess Conquest, Vortex HD and UHD, Swaro Pocket CL, Leupold BX4 Guides at local outdoor stores I really liked the UHDs.

I still haven't been able to get my hands on the mavens yet but sounds like they have a great demo program. I'm based out of the treasure valley but was actually in your next of the woods heading to Montana last month. Being another Idaho local I'm curious to know your preferred bino of choice?
I find myself grabbing the UHDs more than most of my other pairs. I feel like Vortex did a really good job with the uhds. In my opinion they are getting up into the alpha range. I am definitely not and optics expert but i believe they compare really closely to the SLCs. I like the Maven B2 also but i like the feel of the UHDs better, they feel a little less bulky to me and optically they are neck and neck. They are on the bigger side but it have never thought they were a pain to carry. I carry mine in the enclosed Marsupial medium bino pack. When i want to carry small i carry a set of Maven b3 8x30 right now . They are very compact, i really enjoy them. Them they have a great image and do well in low light. For me they are really easy to look through and do not cause any kind of headaches or eye strain. I seem to go back and forth between multiple pairs of binos . I have thought about selling some off and getting a set of NLs but im not sure i am ready to settle down with just one pair yet.

Piranha37

FNG
I was in this dilemma recently and got the Maven 9x45s and new marsupial enclosed bc they wouldn’t fit in my AGC. I’ll be honest and say much of what made me choose the Mavens is the novelty to me in addition to the fact that they are good glass. I got the demos and liked them a lot.

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
Talked with a Maven rep at a hunting show in Houston. Talked about many topics and had many questions. I explained that I’ve almost pulled the trigger twice on some customized 9x45. Rolled my eyes and walked off when he said they are the same as Zeiss Victory. Salesman! They are nice but..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: