Maven B.1 10×42 vs B.4 10×56

Hey everyone,
I'm new here and started my account to just ask this question; What would you choose between the Maven B.1 10×42 or the Maven B.4 10×56? I've settled on buying Mavens but can't decide which binocular to go with. I did their demo program with the 10×56 and loved them. Incredibly bright. As almost too bright when looking at bedded deer/elk on a sunny day with snow. But they are pretty big and bulky. Would any of you or have any of you carried 56mm optics on your chest? I know Alaska Guide Creations makes a 56mm bino harness but I'm not sure if the extra light gathering is worth the weight & size. Would be using them on my chest and off a tripod. Anything helps. Thanks.

Of the two I would choose the B.1 10x42s.

Have you considered the Maven B.2 series? 56mm objectives are a little big to carry on your chest, and the B.2s with their 45mm objective would kind of split the difference for you. The B.2 9x45 will give you the extra light gathering while still being reasonable enough to carry on your chest.

skierhs

WKR
Do you have any other optics? If not then I’d go with 10x42. They’re the best for all around hunting and usage. The x56 will be way to large and heavy for what your wanting unless you already have a set of binos and want a 15x56 set.

OP
KingKleven
I have a pair of 10x42 Vortex Diamondbacks that I've had for a few years, they were great for the limited time and experience I had for hunting. Never bought a spotter nor any high power binos. I'm just starting to get serious about nice glass since I'm a little older, make better money and planning on doing a lot more hunts. I still have a blue collar mindset and can't bring myself to spend over $1500 on binos. I just thought that if the extra light transmission that you would get with 10x56 binoculars would make up for the slightly less quality of glass compared to like SLC's. When I was doing the demo of the 10x56, I came to really like them. They are large and heavy but I felt the extra weight aided me in keeping them steady when hand holding them.

skierhs

WKR
I have a pair of 10x42 Vortex Diamondbacks that I've had for a few years, they were great for the limited time and experience I had for hunting. Never bought a spotter nor any high power binos. I'm just starting to get serious about nice glass since I'm a little older, make better money and planning on doing a lot more hunts. I still have a blue collar mindset and can't bring myself to spend over $1500 on binos. I just thought that if the extra light transmission that you would get with 10x56 binoculars would make up for the slightly less quality of glass compared to like SLC's. When I was doing the demo of the 10x56, I came to really like them. They are large and heavy but I felt the extra weight aided me in keeping them steady when hand holding them.
Gotcha, once you jump into the deep end with high end glass you’ll never go back. That being said building up to that point can be a real challenge. I think going with a 10x42 bino with your situation makes the most sense. It’s a good all around optic that will let you build up without replacing anytime too soon. If you go with those then you can get a spotter next and maybe even eventually a high end 15x bino. I started with a viper hd 10x50, then a swaro 95mm and then a 15x56 slc. Having a good solid 10x power gives you grounding to build the up “extras”. Eventually im gonna replace the 10x50 with a 8x30 or so just to cut down on weight and bulk in my chest rig. It does make me wish I went with a 10x42 to begin with though.

OP
KingKleven
Gotcha, once you jump into the deep end with high end glass you’ll never go back. That being said building up to that point can be a real challenge. I think going with a 10x42 bino with your situation makes the most sense. It’s a good all around optic that will let you build up without replacing anytime too soon. If you go with those then you can get a spotter next and maybe even eventually a high end 15x bino. I started with a viper hd 10x50, then a swaro 95mm and then a 15x56 slc. Having a good solid 10x power gives you grounding to build the up “extras”. Eventually im gonna replace the 10x50 with a 8x30 or so just to cut down on weight and bulk in my chest rig. It does make me wish I went with a 10x42 to begin with though.
Haha I already felt that way after having looked through the Mavens for a little bit and then going back to my old Diamondbacks. It was honestly a huge shock seeing the difference first hand that everybody talks about. Thanks so much for your great reply. After further consideration I'm going to get the B.1 10x42's and start saving a bit for a spotter. But that's a whole new can of worms.😂 I was thinking either a Zeiss Conquest Gavia 30-65 Angled or the Swaro ATS-65? But I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks for all your help!

skierhs

WKR
Swaro all day, I personally carry around a 95mm on my backpack hunts but it’s cause the quality of glass is worth it to prevent me from walking many more miles. The 65 is a lightweight option for the ats especially and you’ll be happy you spent the extra coin.

PNWflier

FNG
x2 on the Maven b.2 9x45's or 11x45's. The x56's are really big/heavy to carry on your chest as all-around binos. I think this is the best all around bino for the value. They are close enough to the high-end glass and have a similar warranty but can get new for just over 1k or used on here for ~$800.