Maven B.3 6x30 first impressions

My new custom binocular showed up in the mail today. I can’t speak to how bright they are in low light yet as it’s very sunny right now. Comparing them to my Zeiss Conquest 8x40 ABK set they appear about the same in this light (no surprise, both have 5mm exit pupils), if anything they are a little brighter. Color fidelity and sharpness are excellent. Edge to edge clarity is exceptional for a bino in this price range. The field of view is extremely wide so I should be able to scan a lot of ground in short time. They’ll be great in thick timber for elk and for turkeys. I love how lightweight they are. I can barely feel them when worn with my DIY paracord bino harness. They are 16.3 ounces on my scale. With the lens covers and harness attached they come out to 19.3 ounces. Looking at the interstate that is 1.25 miles away and imagining an elk being about 1/2 the visual profile of a sedan, I should have no trouble identifying elk at that range. I can’t wait to try them out this fall. My next binocular is likely to be another Maven. Probably the 10x50 mostly for tripod use but not so unwieldy that I couldn’t hand hold them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Waiting on a custom version at 8x and liking what you’re saying!

I too am thinking the 10x50 will be next if I’m happy with these. Moving from Vortex Viper glass, so thinking I will be.

OP
Wyobohunter
I looked through the Maven B.3 6x30 vs the Zeiss Conquest 8x40 at dusk. I was looking at the sagebrush covered hills that surround my neighborhood at ranges of between 500 and 1,500 yards.

To my eye I’d have a difficult time picking which one is brighter. That’s no surprise as both have the same size exit pupil. It might be an easier comparison if I had the same magnification and objective diameter in each.

Clarity and color also seem pretty close but I’d give the center clarity to the Zeiss with the edge clarity going to the Maven. All of these qualities were so close I had to get super picky to distinguish.

I doubt I’ll end up favoring one or the other based on quality; I’ll pick the one that best suits my needs for a particular set of conditions. Mainly I plan to pack the bigger binocular when weight is less of an issue (scouting and hunting closer to the truck) and the little Mavens on backpacking trips.

So far I’m very happy with this purchase. I really considered the 8x30 but went with the 6 power because I wanted the bigger FOV and exit pupil for dawn/dusk/dark timber.

I bet you’ll love those 8x30 and I’d really like to hear your impressions when you get them.

Last edited:

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the same Maven 6x30 that I used for bowhunting last year and it performed like a champ. Nice depth of field and super wide view. So light I forget it's there. Hard to beat.

Blue72

WKR
great pair of binoculars

I like my Kowa 6.5x32 better for its sharper sweet spot, brighter image, and larger FOV. But the maven has the better edge to edge clarity

OP
Wyobohunter
great pair of binoculars

I like my Kowa 6.5x32 better for its sharper sweet spot, brighter image, and larger FOV. But the maven has the better edge to edge clarity

We’re you able to look through both side by side? That’d be cool to get more detail on. Also, do you know where the Kowa bino is made?

Blue72

WKR
We’re you able to look through both side by side? That’d be cool to get more detail on. Also, do you know where the Kowa bino is made?
Yes I owned both

kowa are
  • sharper in the sweet spot, definitely notice it at very long distances
  • better FOV
  • much brighter in dusk
  • better then the maven for astronomy
  • better AFOV
  • the extra .5x magnification is nice and is noticeable

Maven are

• the optics are pretty decent to the edge were the Kowa have slight distortion in the outer edge
  • more compact binocular, almost as small as my Nikon monarch 7 8x30
  • slightly better color saturation

E5FC3D8A-DEAD-44BF-A70B-BB1E99BCA0AC.jpeg