Maven b series decisions

rj2

WKR
I currently have b3 8x30 for Midwest archery hunting, and tract tekoa 8x42 for my truck. Looking to replace the tract with something better. Low light is important because I want something good for glassing fields as it gets dark.

Would be nice to have something useful for out west too, if I need a little more than the b3's.

I've been debating between b1.2 10x42, b2 9x45, and b6 10x50.

They seem to all probably be similar in performance, anyone compared any of these?

Curious on other people's thoughts who are smarter than me

Thanks

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
There is not a really wrong choice there. I have not had my hands on the B1.2 yet but I have had the Maven B1 8x 10x, : B2 9x and 11x: and B6 10x50 all side by side.

Go B1.2 if you value compact size. Between the B2 and B6, the B6 will not work for anyone with IPD narrower than 58 mm. The shorter barrels bump together at this point. Image wise it is pretty hard to tell them apart. I already own the B2 9x45, and have since they came out. I have to say that it has never left me wanting for anything. That said, if I didn't have it already and was looking for something in the range of the OP question, I'd maybe add a B1.2 for something smaller. Between the B2 and the B6 I'm not too sure what I'd do. It would need a trip through the demo program to see what ergonomics fit best. I can't say the 50 mm is any better in low light, at least not enough to matter much. The B6 is a "little" better in low light than the B1 10x42. However I can't say I'd place much of a wager on the B1.2 being any better optically than the B1.

Another thing here. I have a B3 8x30 as well. One reason to to pair the B6 with the B3 is that those both focus clockwise toward infinity. The rest of the Mavens are the reverse. However I don't know the focus direction of the new B1.2. Small detail, but muscle memory will be consistent with the B3 and the B6.

Last edited:
OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
Thanks, I'm kinda leaning away from the b2 mainly due to size/weight. Would be nice to know which way the focus wheel is on the b1.2.. I'm thinking the ipd would be close for me in the b6, but like the idea of having that extra bit of brightness to see if that last deer out in the field before dark was a shooter, etc.

DanN

FNG
Thanks, I'm kinda leaning away from the b2 mainly due to size/weight. Would be nice to know which way the focus wheel is on the b1.2.. I'm thinking the ipd would be close for me in the b6, but like the idea of having that extra bit of brightness to see if that last deer out in the field before dark was a shooter, etc.
Thanks, I was interested in the same question! Good Information - Dan

This is an old thread I stumbled upon when doing my own research. I'm hoping someone using the search function might find my reply useful...

Well, I got my hands on all three models mentioned by the OP at the Denver Sportsman's Expo today. I ended up placing an order on the B.2s.

I really liked all three, but the colors and details (mind you, this is a limited test of reading lettering on pipes in the rafters of a convention center) on the B.2s really seemed to pop. Edge to edge clarity was much improved as well. I felt like I could make out more detail despite the reduced magnification. The weight difference is noticeable and I don't think there's much of a stability gain in terms of hand holding with the reduced magnification as a result.

The B.6s required me to bottom them out all the way (in terms of IPD) since I have narrower set eyes. As a result, I may not have been in the "sweet spot" of these binos. Optically, there wasn't really much difference between these and the B1.2s (probably expected in a decently lit convention center). Both of these models produced a good image, but it seemed on the "white-ish" side (almost like a TV with the brightness set too high). The B.1.2s are stupid light and small. I totally would understand anyone choosing these for backpack hunts. I may very well end up with a pair in the future. The B.6s are a great choice if you have a normal face (unlike me) and value the 50mm objective. Honestly, the B.6s are the size of what you would expect in a 10x42. You end up getting the extra objective size basically for free (in terms of size and weight).

To sum up my ramblings, I'd be happy with any of them if I had a normal shaped head. I chose the B.2 because I value image quality over anything else and am OK with the weight.

Reactions: rj2
Does anyone know how to measure idp?

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
Does anyone know how to measure idp?
It is the distance between your pupils so you could try in a mirror or I think having someone else measure while you look at something in the distance might be a little more accurate. Or you could ask an eye doctor

It is the distance between your pupils so you could try in a mirror or I think having someone else measure while you look at something in the distance might be a little more accurate. Or you could ask an eye doctor
I will ask my eye Dr. Next time I go in.

Reactions: rj2